Chris 2nd in the night sprint!

Ross 25th and Chris 30th in Classic

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 31 March 2009, 3:23 AM  
Also relay teams
Chris's team 7th
Ross's team 39th

Keith Agmen made an appearance in the night sprint coming 28th

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 31 March 2009, 3:59 AM  
What a great Relay race experience that would have been for Chris, going out on the last leg, against Jamie Stevenson, Scott Fraser, Dmitry Tsvetkov, Matthias Merz and Daniel Hubmann, with only 23 secs separating the 6 teams, racing for 2nd & 3rd place, only 2 mins down on the leader

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 31 March 2009, 4:57 AM  
oops, slight mistake, Merz started 2 mins behind the pack that Chris was in, and 4 mins from the lead, and ran through them to take 2nd place, only 8 secs behind 1st. That is showing them how to do it.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 31 March 2009, 5:20 AM  
Spring Cup this year was in the sand dune forest just down the road from where Carsten's parents live so we were hoping that with it being sand dunes that Chris and Ross could get some good results. And they didn't disappoint! It should be good world ranking points. Note there were over 140 running in their grade.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 31 March 2009, 3:24 PM  
Yes, very exciting races. I was really pleased with my orienteering/navigating, but have not done enough running lately so got my ass kicked. This weekend was my first orienteering in real forest and without snow for about 5 months, so I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed with my running.

I started the final leg of the relay in second place about 10 seconds in front of Daniel Hubmann, Jamie Stevenson, Scott Fraser and Dmitry Tsvetkov. Running to the first control (a 7-8min leg), I didn't see any of them but looking at the splits they must have sneaked past me. However they all lost about 1 min going to control 2 and I must have gone past also without seeing them. They finally caught up with me at no.6 and I attempted to keep up around the next few control but slowly got dropped and lost sight of them. Luckily they lost another 20-30sec at 13 and I caught up again and followed for a few more controls before finally losing them at no.16. Matthias Merz flew past on the way to 16, but I was beginning to slow and didn't see him for long.

Following some analysis after the relay, I concluded I was running about 4/5min per hour slower than the top guys for the first half of the course (approx 30min), then got sore feet and tired and my speed reduced to about 8/10min slower per hour and I also started to make a few mistakes.

So I think more running and less skiing for me might be in order.
Have fun at the Nationals, it like it should be good fun. I wish I could be there too.

Chris

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 April 2009, 1:03 AM  
Man reading that, and Ross's comments about running 3min km's in terrain, how fast do you have to run to keep up with these guys? Like a 5km in 14.30?

Something we can learn to do in NZ is run really really fast! (although maybe not that fast for all of us!)

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 1 April 2009, 6:31 AM  
Running relays in Scandinavia is a fun way to learn to run and orienteer fast in terrain. Carsten is going to be in a bit better form this year I think, so running mass start races with him should be good practice at orienteering fast as well.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz