maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

JWOC boys nationals grade...

Show Profile  darren Posted: 27 March 2009, 1:17 PM  
Neil, I'm sure you have beaten me in a race somewhere. Can't remember which one it was though?

I agree Brent is the raging hot favourite, personally I think the rest of us are all racing for second place!

He is only the favourite because Jamie is doing a no show.

Show Profile  Mike Adams Posted: 27 March 2009, 1:17 PM  
I'm scared of you Neil. I didn't do the Tuesday night long run because i was shaking in my mudclaws.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 27 March 2009, 1:21 PM  
Sorry Mike, You've been living in auckland but your still a south islander (read useless in woodhill). That goes for Carsten too Jenni.

Show Profile  Mike Adams Posted: 27 March 2009, 1:44 PM  
Unfortunately that's true. I'll have to try to fill Jamie's South Island shoes in the sprint.

Show Profile  idiot Posted: 27 March 2009, 2:20 PM  
So it's not just Jamie's hair that's doing a no-show this time?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 March 2009, 2:30 PM  
No you can add in my two front teeth, my sense of humour and my beautiful wife

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 27 March 2009, 3:59 PM  
Darrens theory is great, if your aiming to do shit. Target place just outside the top 100, that will be mean you should be doing 95-100mins, maybe we should increase our winning times to represent how shit we think we are going to run at world champs

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 March 2009, 9:44 AM  
agreed Greg (unusually). Darren and his crazy ideas poked the elite grade for years, made everyone run slow, long and crap.

Only run for as long as you can run hard and fast.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 28 March 2009, 12:50 PM  
Greg, you only ever run short races and still you show little sign of improvement. Jamie you don't often finish the long races you start. Maybe you guys aren't qualified to make a call on this one?

I simply point out that history shows our best to be 20mins (at least) behind the worlds best in a long race and 10mins(ish)and 5mins(ish)in a sprint. This goes for juniors and seniors! The top fellas are just a whole lot better than us.

That's not to say we can't get there eventually but you don't close these gaps overnight, so the reality is we need to be preparing ourselves to race for a slightly longer duration. Which is a whole lot better than being underprepared, believe me, I've been there!

So, the 20E guys running 21E at the Nationals is perfect for this preparation! They will get to JWOC and won't hit their limit in the last part of the race.

You young guys don't listen to these softies (although Jamie might be able to give you some valuable tips on sprint racing!) running 21E in the long won't kill you, but it might just make you tougher!

Look forward to racing against you Tom. Good on ya mate

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 28 March 2009, 1:57 PM  
Just got back from my long run and am totally shagged. Come to think of it whenever I run or race significantly longer than my normal favourite lengths I usually fall apart sooner or later, so if jwocers are going to race for longer times then I say the more long training runs and long race experience the better. Surely with the right training it doesn't mean they will be far to slow at shorter distances.
Initially I tended to favour Greg and Jamies view but then I thought if they hit really struggled in their long race (qual's or leadup training) they would probably not be in good shape for the shorter ones anyhow.
In almost all sports that I've been in, the aspiring young people almost always compete above their grade right through their junior days.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 28 March 2009, 6:26 PM  
...but since I'm such a libran it takes me a while to really weigh up both sides, and since there is know longer a delete or edit option on maptalk, i can't avoid being guilty of changing camps in full view - After I rested my tired bod it became clearer to me that the intensity and pressure of the race was far more important, O-ing at speed is vital, afterall there is plenty of opportunity for long hard physical training runs etc. The National title should be worth fighting hard for even if you think you can run further, and as Jeff notes, the M21E long EWT is probably too long to simulate anything relevant to jwoc'ers. Anyway the coach is by far more qualified than me to know whats best! I'd best stay out of it - he he, bring back 'edit' or 'delete'!
Good on Jourdan for asking a good question.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 March 2009, 3:11 AM  
You might notice I didn't say what they should do, just said Darrens longer race theory is crap (the ones that have done well have so based on their fitness and skill, and have not been over 20 mins behind the winner), if they have not worked out what they want to achieve from these races by now, then they and/or their coach have not fully sat down and planned properly.
I believe Tom has and knows what he wants to get out of the Nationals, good on him, Jourdan on the other hand has no idea, which is fair enough for some of the younger JWOCers, but the older ones that are most serious should have had goals for this event planned at the start of the 'season', knowing what they want to achieve, just like what Mike and Neil have said.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 March 2009, 4:51 AM  
There is an edit button, you just have to be logged in to see it. Long story, but basically we were getting heaps of spammers hitting the edit page so protected it a bit.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz