maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Katoa Po weekend

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 18 March 2009, 5:06 AM  
Thanks to Taupo Orienteering Club and the Napier Girls/Boys for a good weekend of orienteering. The sprint and games distance events were great fun.

It was a shame that more didn't make the effort to attend. The event is well organised and is one of the few opportunities to test o skills at night. Is there a reason why it has become less popular over the past few years? I think it would be unfortunate if we lost it due to lack of support.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 March 2009, 5:17 AM  
Clubs need to get behind this event, it was awesome and a real shame the numbers were lacking, cheers Taupo and NG/B

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 18 March 2009, 6:03 AM  
The timing of the event is probably an issue. The event had to compete with the ever popular WOMAD - hence no Egmont and depleted teams from Rotorua, and no doubt a few other clubs.

TOC can't go much later in March - it is cold enough as it is. We can't go earlier in March as many TOC members are involved as part of 2000 volunteers used in the NZ Ironman event. February is more or less out because of the Kaweka Challenge (imagine Katoa Po without Hawkes Bay OC; current holder of BOTH the 5-person and 7-person trophies - no way!!).

This really leaves early February/Waitangi Day or one of the Anniversary Weekends (Wellington and Auckland) at the end of January. This assumes you've had enough orienteering to ignore November and December.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 18 March 2009, 6:14 AM  
It also clashed with the ARC adventure race which a lot of us did, and the Colville connection mtb race.

I reckon earlier in Feb a couple of weeks before Kaweka would a good time and warmer.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 March 2009, 6:39 AM  
Its a busy time of year. Next year's NZ Rogaine Champs will probably be in the NI and looking for a nice warm night.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 18 March 2009, 11:46 AM  
Hey Val. Where are the results on Winsplits from your sons event after Katoa Po? I recall a complaint from one of your other children and you about the results from Oceania. Last time I travelled from Taupo to Napier / Havelock North it took a little over 1 hour 30 mins. I wait in anticipation not for your reply but for the results. Thanks.

PS: the results from the pre-event would also be great.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 18 March 2009, 12:07 PM  
Dear Ellmo????.....u used to be in HB unless im mistaken......try the HB Website.....figures eh? They were put up on Sunday afternoon/early evening. Any other questions????

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 18 March 2009, 1:07 PM  
Greg, completely agree that this event is fantastic and needs to be supported. I have done the last two years and loved it. I think a February date would be better. Michael, how about Katoa Po one weekend followed by NZ rogaine champs?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 18 March 2009, 1:22 PM  
Thanks Val. Is there any chance of getting them on the Winsplits website anyone?

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 19 March 2009, 1:02 AM  
Thats ok....i accept your apology. lol

Show Profile  ChrisM Posted: 19 March 2009, 1:38 AM  
Be aware that it is not easy to change dates.
As Jim described, we have to fit in with other events. We also need to be after the start of the school year to help clubs bring new people from there. My availability is totally dependent on my work's survey programme. That also affects the lights that we use.
Another thing to remember is the hours of daylight. When it was at Waitangi weekend last year, the first start was about 9pm. That means a very long night, especially for the organisers. Even this year with the many out of sequence starts, I didn't get to bed until 3am and it was back up at 7am. TOC doesn't have the luxury of many other clubs of being able to have a large team running an event.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz