maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Auckland SS Sprint Series

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 February 2009, 12:57 AM  
Starting tonight, this looks entirely based on the North Shore and West Auckland (events are at Massey, Rosmini, Rangitoto, Mt Albert, Avondale). Whilst it doesn't clash with any of the Auckland Summer Series events, every wednesday night clashes with the Counties Summer Series events (coincidentally one summer series event is at Pukekohe High School which has a strong base of school orienteers).

Although I applaud the initiative, I question the timing of the events and locations. I struggle to see it being representative of Auckland SS orienteering.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 18 February 2009, 5:34 AM  
I can't see a clash, as it is too much travelling either way. Bit like saying Rotorua and Taupo shoudn't clash for an evening event.

As a matter of interest more than 160 entries, mostly new school kids, so a potential boom in school kids trying orienteering. Can't be a bad thing.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 February 2009, 7:01 AM  
ok so assuming the summer series events don't matter because it's too far to travel to get to the sprint series, then surely that says something about the geographical spread of events for an auckland schools competition.

it's like having a central districts competition. but all the events are in rotorua.

the college sport region includes south auckland & counties. where there any reasons behind the lack of events south of central auckland?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2009, 8:16 AM  
Right cancel it, we cant have 160 school kids new to orienteering doing it every week just cause some from over an hours drive away have another event on.

This is the best thing that could happen, regardless of what it clashes with, the numbers speak for themselves, plus Robbie is doing a great job with the Counties series as it is, and you dont see any of these 'Aucklanders' going south, so there is no clash. The lack of events further south might have something to do with this project being entirely funded, and organised by NW since Auckland opted to not contribute at the moment.

This message was edited by Greg on 18 February 2009, 4:22 PM

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 February 2009, 12:04 PM  
sprint was awesome. Matt and Gene set an awesome course. Mike and Rolf and team ran it really well. Kids seemed to have an awesome time. Big ups for getting out and getting it going, don;t hate. Watch this space I think it could potentially grow quite nicely.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 18 February 2009, 2:51 PM  
Sounds cool! - anyone get any pics of it for NZ O mag?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 February 2009, 12:05 AM  
I think where Martin is coming from is in the name - he did state at the beginning he applauds the initiative, as most/all of us would do. Great stuff NW.

What he sees is a name of a series of events (Auckland SS Sprint Series) that he questioned is not representative of Auckland SS Orienteering. It's a reasonable point/question, but not one to get our knickers in knots.

The series name suggests a competition whereas in fact it looks like the main aim of the events is promotional. Perhaps it could have been better named, so that those outside didn't see it as an "Auckland competition", but no big deal.

Perhaps it could be the start of something big and beautiful (like me), and again, it's great to see these events happening.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 February 2009, 5:11 AM  
Badge engineering. Wolseley Hornet, Riley Elf.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 February 2009, 9:06 AM  
is that a palindrome?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 February 2009, 9:31 AM  
Badge engineering is a term that describes the rebadging of one product (especially cars) as another. Due to the high cost of designing and engineering a totally new model, or establishing a new brand (which may take many years to gain acceptance), it is often more cost-effective to rebadge a single product multiple times.

Wolseley Hornet and Riley Elf (196169): built as more luxurious versions of the Mini

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 February 2009, 9:36 AM  
Auckland Schools or Auckland City or Auckland Orienteering, depends on what you are seeing the 'Auckland' as? Which ever no one cares whats south of the Bombays

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 February 2009, 11:27 AM  
Ahh, it is Auckland. It might not be all of Auckland, but it is Auckland.

Where is the other "Auckland" secondary schools orienteering series? This is the only one, and it is what it is because it has to start somewhere. NW and Mike B started it from scratch, and IMO deserve a round of applause, not a chorus of muttering. Its an exciting growth initiative for orienteering across the region, regardless of where it kicks off.

I'm stoked to hear from Tom that the first event was a success.

Show Profile  Green Teeth Posted: 20 February 2009, 1:45 PM  
European countries during summertime have events each night of the week and in neighbouring towns. They're on a small scale, usually on good maps and the easy access cuts down travelling time.
Where's the problem? Incidentally Rotorua-Taupo can be done faster than most trips across Auckland. Less meatheads with road rage too!!

Show Profile  JD Posted: 22 February 2009, 12:05 PM  
its mean training! would be great to be able to run with sport ident for a public. i guess we did just rock up but still could something be done here?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 22 February 2009, 1:48 PM  
It would be nice to thing that this is something new. Its not--simply a new formate. The history. The Auckland secondary schools summer series is run by college sport by the college sport orienteering co-ordinator. The event was started about 1980 by Stan Foster. Stan pasted the role over to Graham Peters. I picked up the role in 2000 and made several changes as had the others before me. I would like to think that all the hard work dont by the above is not forgotten and that we suddenly have something that has never happened before. The relays for example had six teams when I started it now has 60 teams. My point is as each co-ordinator comes on board it is a hope that secondary school orienteering will advance. Martins point is that it should not be exclusive. With the new formate Counties was not approached and our Wed summer series was well advertised.College sport covers all of Auckland and Stan,Graham and I never excluded other Auckland areas.It is interesting that the Auckland club was approached. I am not saying that you would get great numbers from the south but at least some consideration would be nice.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 25 February 2009, 6:30 AM  
Its not exclusive.

As far as I am aware, noone is stopping Sth Auckland schools from participating.

With regard to the history of secondary school orienteering, the relays (for eg) are very successful. This new series of events will not undermine the work that has gone into building successful relays. If anything it will strengthen participation in existing secondary school orienteering fixtures.

Truth be told, I think MikeB has been flat-stick mapping schools and arranging participation, building relationships with schools, liasing with college sport etc... he's done a great job to pull it together in a very tight timeframe. If he hasn't played the AOA politics to your satisfaction, it'll be because he's been busy getting the job done instead. Don't take it personally; don't get all worked up about it - have a go at focussing on the positive potential for the sport. If you like, think of it as seed, planted to produce a tree whose fruit we shall all enjoy. Think about how you could help it grow.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz