maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Akatawara Attack

Show Profile  neverbyluck Posted: 17 January 2009, 8:15 AM  
I'm looking for a partner for this event.
Any takers??

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 January 2009, 12:21 PM  
Hi Neverbyluck,

If your looking for a partner...perhaps it would help if you describe your riding level, explain your goal for the event, use your name or failing that just say you've got big tits.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 January 2009, 4:14 PM  
The start for the 4th Akatarawa Attack was announced today: Battle Hill Regional Park. Battle Hill will give access to tracks not used before, and provide a great venue for the post-event count-up and barbeque.

Entries are due by Wednesday 21 Jan; for information about previous events and the entry form see http://akattack.rhizome.net.nz. The event is on Saturday 31 Jan, with starts at 0830 and 1200

This is a team event: if you are looking for a partner I offer to put you in touch with others I hear of: michael dot wood at mapsport dot co dot nz. Or try mountainbike.co.nz or vorb.org.nz

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 January 2009, 4:13 AM  
Are you capable of winning, Neverbyluck? I have just the partner 4 U!

Two-time winners Simon Kennett and John Randal set out to do some route/choice teamwork practice the other weekend. They got some maps from last year's Metlink City Safari, and scored 1230 (compared to 1015 for the winning foot/public transport team).

But they were outgunned by Greg Thurlow. Using a road bike but thereby having to do more more running, he scored 1490. (I think the Cycling Advocates Network might be interested in these scores, but please don't anyone tell Metlink!!!) Their routes are on http://www.vorb.org.nz/akatarawa-attack-2009-t90331.html

Greg's looking for a partner for the Ak Attack. Let me know if you want to be put in touch...

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 26 January 2009, 9:58 AM  
Greg, if you can't find anyone else you can ride with me and John...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 February 2009, 3:32 AM  
In a nailbiting finish to the 4th Akatarawa Attack, titleholders Simon Kennett and John Randal were knocked off their perch by lateness penalty. The new winners were veteran men Matt Farrar and Ian Paintin. Both teams scored 1700 out of 2270 after 8 hours riding in mid-20 temperatures.

Whereas the winners were back with 10 minutes to spare, Kennett and Randal were beyond the limit, deliberately playing off a 4-minute lateness penalty against one last control. The penalty used in the Attack is not the usual one of 10 per minute, but minutes SQUARED, which is softer for a minor lateness but tougher over 10 minutes. So the final margin was 16 points out of 1700! The whole 8hr field scored over 990, a testament to some tough teams.

The 4-hour category was also won by veteran team "Old and Older" (can't find names at present). Their score was 860. The event started at Battle Hill Park with 6 controls on farmland; extended up the steep slopes of Transmission Gully the billion-dollar roading route; into Puketiro Forest the controversial windfarm area; north through wild native bush to Orange Hutt; and east nearly to Moonshine Road. There were 40 controls.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 February 2009, 3:36 AM  
Old and Older are Craig Starnes and Tony Lines. They have a long history of good results in the Cyclic Saga, and Starnes reprsented NZ in the MTBO World Champsin Australia.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 February 2009, 3:58 AM  
Winner Ian Paintin writes...

Thanks so much for a fantastic event. You both really know how to put on a premier event. The map marking was spot on. Even the after match food was great and such a step up from the normal fare. Matt and I rode the course to take in as much of the dodgy technical stuff we could find and we rode some sweet technical sections.

This strategy would have gone to custard if it had been wet but we had a grand time. <Snip comments about particular controls>

My HRM monitor recorded over 8,000 kCal of energy burnt which compares to around 3,500 kCal when I race the Karapoti. Maximum HR was 190 [pretty sure this was the haul up from Pram track to 73 in the midday heat] and average over 150 bpm. One of the best work outs I've had for some time. A bonus to win the AK09 as we'd not backed ourselves to be near the podium but just wanted to ride hard and long over some hard to access tracks.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz