maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Labour Weekend Chasing Start

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 October 2008, 7:46 AM  
What is the point of advertising and having a race called a chasing start if it is not even a real chasing start??

An opportunity for an exciting race, but yet again not in NZ.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 October 2008, 9:53 AM  
On the weekend in general, I'm looking forward to it, especially those areas where I've spent time mapping. It will be great to see whether the LIDAR contours have enabled Paul and Selwyn to sort out the distortions that were probably there. (In common with many NZ maps...) When the dust settles, perhaps a discussion on the mapping thread?

And Carsten, welcome to Hutt Valley. I'm sure that Jenni will eventually see the light and follow you north; maybe even Michael too. Should rev up the next Superseries:-))

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 18 October 2008, 12:30 PM  
Unlike someone who shall remain nameless (all I can say is his first name starts with G, last name F, and he has made a comment already on this thread!:-)), another elite decided to take a pro-active approach on this and actually call me to share a similar opinion and do something constructive. Suffice to say, it has helped us actually do something about the concern, and we are now looking at offering a chasing start for the elites and juniors on next Fridays race.

The main issue with the chasing start for us, is that we are actually really pushed for both time and manpower on Friday - time in particular is an issue, and offering a true chasing start on all grades meant we might potentially be looking at a reasonably stretched out field for the second race, which would have run into course closure time, and also the fact we need to get controls in before dark.

As a compromise, and as stated, for elites and juniors we can offer a true chasing start, probably for the first 10 mins, which would then revert to 1 min intervalled starts for those > 10 mins from the winning time of race 1. We will confirm this during the week and before Friday.

For A and B grades, we will remain with the reverse order chasing start at 1 min intervals - this will allow us to see the bulk of the field finish within a tighter time frame, without risking hitting course closure times. It also offers the thrill of the faster runners running through the field from the rear, which is actually something that has a thrill element to it in itself.

In doing this, we would value any help from any juniors or elites in helping bring controls in at the end, which would really help us on this day in particular - let me know if you can assist, thanks.

In terms of the rest of the weekend, its shaping up well, and we think it should be a great weekend all up - contingent on everyone getting behind it of course, and on that note thanks Michael for the positive comments - it should be fun!

See you next week!

Pete Swanson

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 October 2008, 2:28 PM  
Looks like some international competition in M50. My old rogaine partner Ted van G is coming over from Melbourne. Those were the days Ted, when I could keep up with you... And Mats Birkestal from Sweden might set the standard, he's been orienteering sooo long he's got a 5-digit SI card.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 20 October 2008, 10:49 PM  
Thanks Pete and team. Should be awesome!

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 21 October 2008, 9:49 AM  
Greg Its a chasing start Your chasing who ever starts in front of you. Yes Pete Im looking forward to the weekend especially the chasing start.Thanks for the hard work team.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 October 2008, 10:59 AM  
That definition means every race is a chasing start...?, we all know about your 'chasing the leader' abilities Robbie. (by true definition Robbie you DONT have a chasing start this weekend)

It was advertised as a chasing start, not a reverse order start, that was one of the main reasons why I entered elite for that day, so excuse me if I was a bit annoyed about being misled. (complaining before the fact is pro-active, much better than just letting it be and bitching about it after)

Show Profile  nick Posted: 22 October 2008, 10:59 PM  
so, if you're running elite you've got nothing to worry about, right?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 23 October 2008, 10:08 AM  
You mean besides all the people starting behind you Nick? Or in my case trying to catch someone ..... anyone.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz