maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

World Rogaine Champs

Show Profile  rogaineboy Posted: 1 October 2008, 7:20 AM  
Never let a fact get in the way of a good story, anonymous Old Timer.

You say "I won't be participating in any further "World Champs" Rogaines until the IRF becomes a properly constituted, international, democratic and transparent organisation."

I have worked in over forty organisations and none go close to the IRF for democracy or transparency. You mention opposition to the IRF. The main objection is that the IRF is too inclusive, that too many countries have a vote. Every single person on the IRF is voted there. Every country representative voting on the IRF has been elected to the IRF by rogaining organizers in their own country. I know of no international organisation with a structure anywhere near as democratic. Of course, improvements can be made. We continually work on these and are doing so now.

And Old Timer, don't bother with the transparency. The key rogainers who object to the current IRF structure have for years been welcomed into IRF discussions and decisions. They and 15 observers from around the world scrutinise IRF decision making.

The exact site of the next world champs is undecided. The IRF executive have spoken with over 60 key rogainers around the world while working on this for two years. Old Timer, you don't get brownie points for stating the obvious, that it isn't perfect having two events in succession in Europe. Any idea why it is likely to be there?

Rogaining is run by volunteers. Every sport has a few people who spend their time criticising and turning others off. It is so easy to do. Don't be one of them. The IRF is a success story, overseeing a major expansion of rogaining worldwide. Russia alone is running nine 24-hour rogaines a year and many more shorter rogaines. The world's three biggest rogaining events have been in Estonia. Finland are about to run their first event. Germany and Czech are collaborating on running events. Latvia and Lithuania have run or seek to run European Rogaining Championships. All look to the IRF for support. Decisions at the IRF are being made by highly competent individuals in Europe and North America who have no interest in the sort of rubbish spouted above. New Zealand is fortunate to be part of this, because rogainers have stepped up to the plate and said "We will support this and help".

Rod Phillips
IRF Secretary

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 1 October 2008, 1:55 PM  
Rogaines are rubbish. Fun, but they just don't compare to proper orienteering.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 2 October 2008, 11:45 PM  
SJ - how can rogaines be rubbish and fun at the same time? I am having difficulty reconciling your comments so if you could enlighten us that would be great.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 3 October 2008, 2:05 AM  
Surely because its because the Navigation doesn't get us going.... then you consider having to put up with that for 24hrs? Thats like hitting your head against a wall until it goes through it, then doing it for another 23 walls.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 3 October 2008, 4:06 AM  
Don't think either of these people have actually tried a 24 hour adventure race. So I'd suggest its something in its image. Also Marcus things can be "rubbish" and and fun (to some people) at the same time. For example a trip to McDonalds, reality TV, Maptalk discussions.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 3 October 2008, 6:34 AM  
Here's a thought from out of left field.

How about creating a slightly different and more social version of the rogaine where instead of a time limit the object of the event is to get ALL controls. No more being disappointed about missing out controls because of running out of time. I'm sure die-hard rogaine and score event purists would object because a lot of the challenge of rogaines is in choosing which controls to get but I'm trying to make it less painful and more enjoyable for most (but knowing human nature it will probably end up being more painful as most will try to get the controls in the fastest possible time).

The winner is the fastest (who might do it in 1-2 days) but to cater for those who just want to see the scenery and enjoy the countryside you could have a campsite open for several days allowing the slow groups to saunter/walk around enjoying an area they will probably never see ever again. Groups could DNF at any time by just reporting
back to organisers and there would have to be an upper time limit when anyone still running has to report back.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 21 January 2009, 3:24 AM  
Looks like I owe you an apology Rod.

I apologise.

Well done to the IRF for having another look at NZ.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz