maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Jukola

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 16 June 2008, 1:42 AM  
If there's anyone else filling in time waiting for someone else to get up so they can go orienteering, you could watch live Jukola coverage on http://www.jukola2008.net/r12/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=374&Itemid=336 Looks like right now Lidingo (a familiar club on the NZ scene has a good lead early on the 2nd leg, whil Bryn should finish the 1st any time now in low 300s (OK KAPE team 651)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 16 June 2008, 1:46 AM  
Bryn just handed over to Toddo in 316th. http://online.jukola2008.net/tulokset/en/j2008_ju/kilpailijat/651/

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 16 June 2008, 2:18 AM  
Nearly time to go... Looks fantastic though, I'm trying not to think about how I was "definitely going to be there this year" (can't complain about the nice little earner that's keeping me in NZ i suppose). Lidingo & Sodertalje have been caught by the pack, and Pan & Tera? have got away in front now. Todd's through the first split in 431st...

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 16 June 2008, 5:28 AM  
Watch a minute of the start at Jukola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPaYArswnME

and more runners keeps appearing

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 16 June 2008, 5:54 AM  
Cool - looks like the start of Round the Bays or other big runs

Show Profile  darren Posted: 16 June 2008, 6:42 AM  
It beats the pants off Round the Bays. Like O-Ringen it is something every O geek should experience at least once in their lifetime!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 June 2008, 6:47 AM  
Anyone spot Bryn?

Darren is right, not only being at Jukola but getting to run first leg is one of the most awesomest things I've ever done

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 16 June 2008, 5:04 PM  
bloody oath, i remember 04 i ran first leg. One guy was running next to me, stumbled, went to grab my shoulder to keep him up i thought im not going down with you! brushed him off and the poor bastard went down into the sea of legs. Then about 100m further on i literally ran over a guy. Scary stuff but unbelievably good fun

Show Profile  darren Posted: 17 June 2008, 12:09 AM  
yup, i remember in the first k and half it being like a full on contact sport. there were guys purposely pushing each other, putting in the elbow (they were serious!)just to get around each other in order to get a good position near the front of the train. I seem to remember around 1200 teams when I did it, looks like that was up to 1400ish this year. Awesome!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 17 June 2008, 12:49 AM  
mmm sounds like Lord of the Flies meets Dr Phibes

Show Profile  kl. Posted: 13 June 2009, 1:31 AM  
New year, new challenges.
In Finland we have 4 hours of live TV from Venla and 10 hours of live coverage from Jukola.

you "channel" ishope it works, NOC is simple, Jukola is something quite different to host)
http://www.jukola2009.net/

24 Hours until I should be out in the woods...

ps. "etusivulle" means "to the main page"

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 June 2009, 2:16 PM  
Nice articles Tane :-)

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 15 June 2009, 4:30 PM  
Good fun this year. Pretty easy area, lots of tracks and fast runnable forest.
Ross did really well (78th 5:19 back from 1st) on first leg, beating BJ. He kept pretty close to the leaders for more than half the 12.5km.
I never even saw the leaders! Started first leg in 1182nd. Good thing we ran almost a km on a horse track before we headed out into the forest. Think I got past 7-800 guys before the start triangle. The first leg was over 4km!!! It was pretty much on tracks too so it sorted out the train pretty well. I did 81mins and was 12mins back from the 1st team in 250th.
Chris did well on the long night leg (3) and his team came 19th overall. At Jukola that's huge.
Greg and Keith did last leg in around 1:58 and 2:05ish for the 16.5km. Both guys think it's one of the coolest orienteering events you can do and really enjoyed it.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 16 June 2009, 12:39 AM  
Yes as todd said Jukola was easily the best event i've ever run in. It was awesome!!!
Even though I went out quite late on the last leg, it was such an amazing experince. Great to be able to compare my route with the likes of Hubmann, Gueorgiou & Wingstedlt. I caught up a big pack at num 16, and drove it most of the way back to the finish, but couldn't ever quite pull away compelteley due to several small mistakes going through the last few. And then 2 of them got past me on the sprint round the race track, bugger.

The size and importance of jukola blew me away. Every orienteer should try and run in one in their lifetime!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz