maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

2008 Rogaine Champs

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 13 May 2008, 1:55 PM  
A reminder that 2008 rogaine champs are on in Taupo next weekend (May 24/25). It comprises of two events:

1. The New Zealand champs over 24 hours.
2. The 12 options, split into two 6 hour rogaines. One starts at 12pm on Saturday and the other at 6am on Sunday so you get to sleep the night if you desire.

All details, including entry form can be found at:

http://www.cdorienteering.co.nz/events.cfm?id=1613

This event is looking to be a little bit different with an urban element involved as well. There are rumours a CP will be at a 24 hour café somewhere just to enable you to fill up on coffee at 3am in the morning.

Entries close next Monday, 19 May but to help with planning we would like indications of entries by this Friday.

Looking forward to seeing as many as you there as possible.

Taupo and Rotorua Orienteering Clubs

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 17 May 2008, 12:17 PM  
Wow - just spent the whole day helping put out controls for the race next weekend. What a great course. So much variation in the terrain and some really cool check points as well.

Some suggestions:

1. You could end up doing a bit of running/walking on roads and footpaths so consider that when looking at your shoe selection. I wouldn't recommend orienteering shoes unless you carry some extra!

2. It was cold today so wrap up warmly especially at night.

3. The rumours of of a CP in a 24 hour cafe are true. Take some cash or an eftpos card.

Good luck to everyone doing the race - gutted I cant be there but Lance and Mark have done a great job putting the course together. Enjoy the orienteering map inserts!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 17 May 2008, 3:20 PM  
Thanks for the preview Marcus; looking forward to it!

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 19 May 2008, 11:22 AM  
So Marcus are you saying I should be bringing my road running shoes instead of off road shoes?

Hopefully there isn't too much urban rogaining.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 19 May 2008, 11:27 AM  
Hi Grieg

No, offroad running shoes will be fine and that was what I was in during the weekend - Asics Trabucos for me at the moment. No problems on any of the terrain for me in those.

Cheers!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 May 2008, 6:51 AM  
8 teams completed the course within the 24 hours. Fastest home were Brent Edwards, Stu Lynch and Rhys Burns. World champions Dennis de Monchy and Chris Forne were in the 2nd and 3rd-placed teams, while the top 8 included two mixed teams and the winning vets. The second all-night cafe was in the BP servo in the middle of town. Story and results are on www.cdorienteering.co.nz

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 May 2008, 11:41 AM  
Thanks to Taupo and Rotorua clubs, especially Lance Eccles and Mark Copeland for putting on a quality event with really well placed controls on an excellent map.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 26 May 2008, 11:45 AM  
13 hours?

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 26 May 2008, 1:07 PM  
Think you could've done it quicker Jamie? Brent said they were going hard and were pretty shagged after.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 26 May 2008, 2:51 PM  
Yep, great event and big thanks to Lance, Mark and the team - it was a huge effort and the overall organisation was great. Not sure if I agree re all the controls being really well placed (rob g), but hey, thats the fun of adventure racing figuring it all out I guess :-) Thanks again guys - much appreciated

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 26 May 2008, 2:59 PM  
Yeah Jamie and I could have done it quicker.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 26 May 2008, 2:59 PM  
I agree with Pete, great event, all credit to the weather (still as cold as *%$#@ at 3am). We met Rhys & Co at 10pm and they were moving fast. We thought then they would finish just before 2am & earlier in the day we thought maybe 16 - 20 hours for the top MO team - how wrong can you be? Total course length was 102km so you have to admire any team that can cover that sort of distance that quickly.

Show Profile  dennis Posted: 29 May 2008, 10:50 AM  
I reckon we covered 91km to get em all, and that included some bumbling around 83. Negligible climb and nicely grazed paddocks made all the difference to running speed. Great fun, and some cool sights like the thermal bore drilling rig lit up like a rocket ready for take off. Happy to be in bed by 4am!

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 29 May 2008, 2:09 PM  
Neil K - I expect you to man up for next years race then!

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 4 June 2008, 8:50 AM  
Sounds like a great event in great terrain. Well done Lance and Mark.
Was it intended that all controls were 'gettable' in the 24 hours? It certainly takes away much of the the tactics if you know you can clear the map. Deciding which controls to miss out is a much trickier exercise than just joining all the dots in the most economic manner.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 5 June 2008, 5:01 AM  
ACW - to put the record straight, after discussions with Lance as the Controller I initially thought the map area was sufficient to ensure a full 24 hour challenge for all teams. A couple of weeks out from the event - all control sites having then been visited and checked - we discussed that a top team or two might get all of the controls in 24 hours. I thought about extending the map, but any extension involved dealing with new landowners very late in the piece and, to be honest, apart from the upper Scoria Road area to the west (which has great views but a mass of small landowners) and Mount Tauhara (which would have been a silly control site) the adjoining areas have little to commend them.

So we ran with what we had. We certainly did not expect any team to get all Controls in 12 1/2 hours! - don't forget it took Chris Forne 18 hours to get them all, Chris Howell and Hamish Goodwin (who are very good rogaining team) only just got them all in 24 hours, and the likes of Pete Squires et al didn't get them all.

And getting all of the Controls was not just an exercise in linking the dots - I would say no team at the start could be sure of getting them all when planning, and strategy was involved. Rather it was a case of let's see how his goes, and if it goes faster then anticipated then maybe we can think about getting them all.

So there you have it. The irony is that the Wairamarama Champs in 2004 which I put on was far too big an area - Chris and Phil Novis in winning only got half of the controls!! So maybe in 2012 I will get it right!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz