maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

The future of the WOA OY Series

Show Profile  williamp Posted: 20 March 2008, 4:29 PM  
Although I personally don't mind whether we have self-selection or age classes, I worry a bit that self-selection makes it harder for juniors to get recognition for their results.

Perhaps there is a way to have self-selection for seniors, but also allow age-group scores for juniors?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 March 2008, 1:36 AM  
Recognition for what William? Only M12 and W18 were determined by ability last year - and those by only two runners. The other junior classes were determined by who attended most.

BTW have you noticed how many juniors self-select their age:-))

Show Profile  malcolmi Posted: 25 March 2008, 12:22 PM  
I don't often contribute to these discussions but after 25+ years of OY's I think I can safely say I am qualified to comment on this one.

I agree completely that the main problem is an unwillingness of many of the present local orienteering fraternity to travel very far to compete. This is compounded by the fact that areas which we would traditionally cite as good orienteering areas that are close to the Wellington/Hutt Valley/Kapiti centres of population are become very scarce. However, at the Ranui Heights OY last year I did have an interesting discussion with several people which basically went along the lines of:
- make the OY series a mixture of say 3 long, 3 middle and 3 sprint events
- this will allow clubs to use "not so good areas" closer to home which would not be suitable for a traditional OY
- it would raise the possibility of having a sprint OY and a middle distance OY on the same day so that people coming any diatance would have two races to run
- the variety might bring back some of the lost orienteers who are stale with the present set up
- 2 sprint, 2 middle and 2 long races to count

What are others thoughts?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 March 2008, 3:57 AM  
Though last year's attendances don't show a strong inverse relationship with distance from Wellington, it does seem likely that it's an important factor. But if we follow that reasoning to "closer events" we should consult members of Taranaki, Red Kiwis and Wairarapa. As presently run, it's a WOA (except HB) OY series, not a Wellington OY series.

The other type of opinion we need more of (tho it's hard to get) is from the less regular orienteers whose attendance makes the difference. So far I don't think we have anything from "incoming" orienteers, and only one from an "outgoing" orienteer.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 27 March 2008, 6:26 AM  
As a rabid (as my partner would describe me) orienteer, I have to draw the line somewhere otherwise the lawns don't get mowed, the dog fed and children washed. I have partly mastered this by moving to HB and not watering the lawn. Easing the burden of owing a mongolian groin muncher is not so easy but is generally resolved by palming him off to my mother periodically. The children can just go dirty and get a cursory swipe with the flannel once a week. So why don't I attend Wellington OY's? HB has a strong competition across all grades and the need is not there for me to travel to Wellington for regional or national strength competition. But, I do like Malcolms suggestion that OY series could take in more than just classic distance courses, surely then you would find the orienteer with the most complete and consistent skill base. However, I think that the classic distance is the "glamour" event (why do we always end up covered in snot, grovelling on the finish line then?) and should count for more or have three counting scores. Unfortunately, I don't think it would do anything to assist us crinkly wrinklies to overcome the HB juniors though.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 27 March 2008, 6:43 AM  
Those ideas sound good to me Malcolm, and adding some extras the "regional champions series" could look like this... Three or four weekends around Easter/QB111; Each weekend perhaps having a sprint/middle and classic; Overall best two results to count for regional champion in each distance, and additional overall champion based on total of best two in each distance with a double weighting for the classic distance.
Ditch the name OY! Regional champs? Regional series?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 27 March 2008, 8:30 AM  
I would find it difficult to go to 3-4 weekends between late March
and early June PLUS go to Easter Nationals and maybe go to QB III as well.

I suggest it could be a little more spread out. Remember also, that the Wairarapa club hopes to have a long event Winter Classic each year in July which it would like to be part of a revamped series.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 27 March 2008, 8:33 AM  
yep, Winter classic a part of it, and QB111 could be one of those weekends too

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 April 2008, 2:41 PM  
Results for OY1 are on the WOA website. Low numbers on a good area two weeks out from the national champs certainly underlines the need to put on thinking caps. (Perhaps some WOC people were busy with nationals prep.) The area (near Wanganui) could be called "distant" from all contributing clubs.

Total 83.
9 from RAFO (visitors from UK)
14 no club or class listed so perhaps out of class/unoff
Net orienteers from the series point of view: 60

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 April 2008, 4:16 PM  
Results for OY2 are on the OHV and WOA websites. The area was not a top one (steep farmland) but it was on the doorstep of the Wellington urban area and the weather was fine and sunny.

Total 115
9 Unoff and a further 25 no club
Net orienteers from the series point of view 81

Looking at the points table, I was struck by the largely different sets of people. Going strictly by points there were 18 who attended both OY1 and OY2. (There may have been a few who mp'd or changed class that are missed in this method.)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 April 2008, 5:04 AM  
Andrew and Malcolm suggest that we are losing good areas close to population. Andrew, where were these 10 good areas within 40 minutes of home? Are you sure it's not a steadily rising expectation of what is "good"?

If so, this may suggest uncoupling the series into: a shorter WOA OY on "good" areas for those who will travel; and a WELLINGTON OY series close to town.

This message was edited by Michael on 17 April 2008, 3:47 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 April 2008, 5:34 AM  
Michael the horse has bolted.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 November 2008, 2:37 AM  
I think Simon is right, and next Sunday will be the last WOA OY.

Over the last 6 months I can't any sign that the Wellington Orienteering Association has made any decisions, least of all about the OY series. Ian Basire, and Kate Fortune the treasurer have made valiant attempts in Punch to promote discussion, but effectively WOA is dead. And if there isn't a WOA, then there's no WOA OY series is there?

Well maybe there's the Auckland mechanism, whereby the association was abolished, but the club presidents get together to coordinate the programme. There's an obvious oppportunity - say 10am at the OY next Sunday.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 4 November 2008, 7:39 AM  
Why don't you make it interesting: which ever club produces the best overall preformance in the final WOA OY will subsume the other WOA clubs and seize their members and assets. Yes, thats right, I'm talking about Total Regional Domination! Who's it gonna be, maptalk? Who's got the guns to take out this Battle Royale? Wellington? Hutt Valley? Wairarapa? Red Kiwis? Taranki? Which is the club with the killer instinct? Which club has nuts big enough to seize this opportunity?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 4 November 2008, 8:30 AM  
HBOC

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz