maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

City Safari 08

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 February 2008, 5:56 AM  
It's in 3 months - 18 May. Entries will open in about a month. But we're pleased to announce a complimentary entry for Annie Sanderson and Nick Collins. See www.mapsport.co.nz/hvoc/ebrog.html

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 May 2008, 6:35 AM  
Dubbed McDonalds orienteering by some but it will attract hundreds of people and be seen by thousands. Start on the Wellington waterfront and kicked off by the mayor. Entries include NZ rogaine champions Nathan Fa'ave and world rogaine champion Dennis de Monchy. Entries close in a week. www.citysafari.org.nz

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 May 2008, 8:27 AM  
I hope you are not referring to my post on the other thread Michael.That is completely out of context.

I think the city safari is a great and innovative idea, and would probably make an effort to be there this year if it didn't clash with the most fun navigation event in NZ (TWALK). City Safari is clearly not McDonalds orienteering....how can it be if its unique?

McDonalds orienteering, is low cost, low skill orienteering, with minimal investment in quality ingredients (read maps, sportident, creativity).

And there is nothing inherently wrong with McDonalds orienteering, its great it feeds the masses. I was just emphasising the need for balance

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 May 2008, 4:52 AM  
Steve Gurney will be coming to the City Safari. His team will be announced shortly. Nathan is going to team with Dennis. Previous winners Jill Westenra (4X C2C winner) and Al Cross will be back. Last year's winner Bill Edwards will be on the sideline but Susan, the boys and Ian/Allison Basire will make a 3-generation team.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 May 2008, 5:24 AM  
Steve Gurney will run with two well-regarded veteran mountain runners and rogaines, Debble Mansfield and Julie Gordon. Perhaps run isn't the word, Steve has ankle damage and is expecting to use a mximum of public transport plus low-down cunning and his team's local knowledge. WCC councillor Andy Foster and Greg Thurlow will try and regain the title they won in 2006; both are endurance junkies, with Thurlow doing the N-S traverse of the Tararuas in 26 hours last summer.

Though the 6 hours is the glamour event there are more people in the 3 including many families, and the course has been designed in a series of clusters for them. In fact one third of the 90 controls are available only to 3-hour teams. The 6hr kicks off at 9:45am and the3-hour at 12:15.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 May 2008, 3:05 PM  
Greg and Andy should get 5 bonus points just for daring to team up again after last year's effort

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 13 May 2008, 4:48 PM  
Not forgetting that Andy took a few hours off during the Eastbourne rogaine to go to a "civic function". Didn't get bonus points though.
This years safari will also double as the wellington leg of the Olympic torch relay and will feature Steve on the final leg post safari where he will swim to Greymouth and cross to Chch..

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 16 May 2008, 3:11 PM  
What happened to them last year??

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 May 2008, 3:16 PM  
Rocketing returns for dairy products have influenced Steve Gurney and he will turn out with a herd of cows on Sunday. Obviously thinks disguise is a better protection for the torch against the protesters. And for the leg to Greymouth he's enlisted the help of a man called Noah, except that they'll have to share with some takahes, babelfish, llamas, quackalacks, a hedgehog, naked mole (is there another sort?) rats, kiwis, moose (a flying one), land crabs and three types of monkey. The ship's passenger list is on www.citysafari.org.nz

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 17 May 2008, 6:32 AM  
Andrew, If I remember right, one of them jumped on a bus thinking the other was right behind. Instead he was left behind. Team communication must have been going really well at that point. I think it might have been Greg who was behind, as when I saw him out running the other day he looked more like someone doing sprint reps than an endurance runner.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 May 2008, 11:42 AM  
WCC councillor Andy Foster and fellow Ridgerunner Greg Thurlow won the City Safari by a nose yesterday. They made 1015 ahead of 1000 from Nathan Fa'avae and Dennis de Monchy. Steve Gurney and his "Udderly Mad Cows" were tops in the dress-up category, while Andrea Hirschberg & Ella Buckley from St Matts in Masterton won the green prize for travelling to and from the event (overnighting in Paraparaumu) entirely by public transport. Provisional results have been posted on www.citysafari.org.nz

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 May 2008, 5:56 AM  
The 6-hour result in the Metlink City Safari was determined by the finish times of the top teams. Story and pictures are now on the website www.citysafari.org.nz

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz