maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Katoa Po - Headtorch

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 15 January 2008, 7:22 PM  
Was looking at the Princeton Tec Apex pro headtorch for this event. Looks like it's mostly open terrain going by the old map so I might not need such a great torch but....

I currently have a very old Petzl and a newer led silva (that's pretty crap). Last rogaine I did I was impressed with the Pricetons people were using so was looking in that direction for a new headlamp and was wondering if it was worth waiting and sourcing over your way (NZ) as our dollar differential could help.

Does anybody know if they are readily available there say in Hamilton or Taupo or somewhere in between and what they sell for roughly?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 16 January 2008, 7:02 AM  
i dont thin we have princeton in new zealand... but im sure michael wood can seel you a torch at a competitive price

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 16 January 2008, 9:26 AM  
Thanks......Just found one on ebay I might bid for.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 16 January 2008, 9:45 AM  
i'd love to see one of these in action:

http://www.triginstruments.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=922

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 January 2008, 9:54 AM  
why stop there..

http://www.triginstruments.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=877&osCsid=4301bfa9562b13472497f2e858d76146

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 16 January 2008, 1:12 PM  
Even better...
http://www.hri.ac.uk/enveg/data/species/da01/picture.htm

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 17 January 2008, 2:25 AM  
Neil - I've heard that for your suggestion to be processed by our bodies quickly and most effectively, they should be taken rectally. Has anybody had any success with this? Maybe a combination of the Daucus Carota and the night vision could be a race winning formula!

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 17 January 2008, 5:53 PM  
Darn - I was outbid on the apex pro! Told you I was a tight arse.
Bloody ebay bidders! Prices always go way up in the last minute.

Maybe I'll have to get the greg's suggested monocular but then that would probably contravene some IOF electronic navigational aid rule.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 January 2008, 6:09 PM  
I think you'll be quite impressed with the Silva LX Nick. On a path thru vegetation the 5/3 increase over the L1 is very noticeable, in the open its not so noticeable because basically illumination drops off as the square of the distance. But you are getting more reach in spite of a wider beam that the L1.

There's a small downside in that the rechargeable battery is too heavy for head mounting. If you're planning to buy at the night relays think about how you'll carry it. On the stated figures it would last all night on high beam and then some. I think it will become my rogaine lamp.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 18 January 2008, 12:21 AM  
Hey Michael. Do you know if the battery from the L1 is compatable with the LX?

Show Profile  nick Posted: 18 January 2008, 1:42 AM  
the L1 is remarkable in the light it provides from 4 AA's... the two common criticisms being the clunky-feel of the head-mounted battery cases (easily solved by bodging up a central strap, or using the remote battery case), and the narrow beam. I've happily survived on the narrow beam simply because its so grunty (relative to the power source)

so with the LX promising a wider AND more powerful beam... well... I'm about to mess my trousers. OK... so it requires a remote 4.5Ah NiMH battery. Not as convenient and they won't tell you how much it weighs. Can you help clear this up, Michael? I assume its one of these:

http://www.silva.se/templates/Products____102.aspx?epslanguage=EN&productId={B9E513A6-1755-492A-8E71-6E7595051819}

The same battery you use on the halogen "searchlight" models... so you may as well get one of these unless you need light all night. Right?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 January 2008, 6:17 AM  
Yes the LX comes with the 4.5Ah battery as on your link Nick, charger and NZ adaptor. In fact based on current MAPsport pricing for the battery/charger separately, you get the lamp for next to nothing! (Perhaps a pricing anomaly which will shake out soon.)

Technical - I have found a weight for the 4.5Ah battery - 280g. Brent - not sure what you mean, you drive the L1 with 4XAA or 4XC. In theory these supply 6v same as the rechargeable but as supplied the plugs are not the same.

Show Profile  Wheel Barrow Posted: 18 January 2008, 11:54 AM  
Neil, we tried your suggestion but couldn't get the darn things into our eyes!...My eyes are still watering

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 January 2008, 3:37 PM  
Wheel Barrow, peel them but whatever you do don't cook them.

Show Profile  Wheel Barrow Posted: 19 January 2008, 5:40 AM  
Oh i've always wondered what keeping your eyes peeled meant. Thanks.!!!

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 19 January 2008, 3:14 PM  
You guys had better watch out, I'll show you what you really need for a light.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz