maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

BackPack for Rogaine

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 December 2007, 12:44 PM  
There is a bewildering array of backpacks out there. Do some of you mountain goats have any recommendations for a backpack suitable for a Rogaine... or perhaps just suggestions on what features work well.

Show Profile  dennis Posted: 16 December 2007, 2:07 PM  
Side mesh pockets that you can reach into without taking the pack off are a time saver.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 16 December 2007, 2:24 PM  
room for hydration bladders or drink bottle holders on shoulder straps are key

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 16 December 2007, 2:33 PM  
Yeah that's what I like too; I have a Nathan brand belt with two bottles and two big front pockets for food and gloves/beanies. Then I usually have a camelback type pack with wetweather gear/first aid etc, stuff I don't need in a hurry. Got the belt from Shoe Clinic. Prefer the two bottles to a camelbak as easy to refill and mix in powders on the run; as well as have one water, one energy drink going.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 December 2007, 5:00 PM  
While we're on rogaining...

The 8th World Rogaining Championship will be held in Estonia in September. After entries opened on 1 Dec, the latest count is 500 people, and registration is temporarily closed until 7 Jan. The organisers now reserve the right to decide who they will accept up to 700 "to ensure the competitive character of the WRC and geographic representation of participants." In other words down-under might still get in but you should register ASAP. There are 10 kiwi teams at present.

You can enter online at http://8wrc2008.rogain.ee

Show Profile  nick Posted: 17 December 2007, 7:38 AM  
Depends on how long the event is, but... lets say it was longer rather than shorter, I would be looking for:

25-35L capacity (I prefer to have a bigger pack with less in it rather than squeezing everything into a smaller pack - you never know when you'll need to take your team-mates gear, or need room for more wet-weather gear etc),.

Shoulder straps/harness etc that feels comfortable for you – not every pack fits every back.

Drainage holes in the base of the pack (seriously) and (I prefer) a fold over lid (like a tramping pack) rather than exposed zips… just seems more waterproof?

External pockets, especially for food; I like pockets on the belt – I find they’re the easiest to access

Hydration systems come down to personal preference, but your needs will be largely dictated by terrain, availability of water on course and temperature. Just make sure you’ve got enough to drink.

Something like the Macpac Amp series

This message was edited by nick on 19 December 2007, 10:27 AM

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 17 December 2007, 12:52 PM  
I can highly recommend the Macpac Amp 20. Heaps of room for gear required for 24 hour missions and also compresses down for shorter events. Comfortable, mesh pockets in easy access everywhere and pockets on the waist belt.

I normally use a 3 litre bladder in the pack. There is also a loop system for holding drink bottles on the shoulder straps as well.

Also have a look at the Amp Race 35 and the Amp light series - the Amp light series are built more for light trekking but people also use them AR as well. Brent Edwards recommends it.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 December 2007, 4:24 AM  
Pockets on the waist strap are one thing that are a must have a think. Also a separate camelbak compartment that can be accessed without unpacking the rest of the pack
Try the Osprey Talon 22, i found this better than the camelback packs i have used. Light and super comfy. They have them at Bivouac Outdoor.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 December 2007, 5:18 AM  
that sounds more like a plug for your sponsor to me

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 18 December 2007, 6:16 AM  
Thomas I want to know what you were doing on Sunday, 50m up a bank on the wrong side of the river looking for a CP. Quite amusing to watch!

Your performance at the Saturday night orienteering was good to watch though. I hope you, and your team, enjoyed the weekend.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 18 December 2007, 7:13 AM  
Tom, how were the Vasque's?

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 December 2007, 12:13 PM  
There was a stream coming in on the true left. I cant believe we overshot that control, i walked out of the bush into the river opposite it about 15 mins before you would have seen me and didnt see it. i was so annoyed!

Vasques were mint, at first i thought i might feel the extra weight from my usual o shoes, but i havent and they are way more stable and actually look after my feet instead of abusing them like some other shoes i have.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 December 2007, 2:16 PM  
And the bridgedales? No soggy foot syndrome?

And back to the pack question, camelbaks are overrated, bottles all the way! Quick to fill, know how much you've got and easy to clean.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 20 December 2007, 1:57 PM  
bridgedales are mint. no soggy feet for me. camelbaks are all good until you put mix into them and they start growing stuff.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 21 December 2007, 8:41 AM  
I've used both Saloman and Macpac packs, each having advantages over the other. Whatever you use, make sure it is a comfortable fit and the right length for your back. I agree that plenty of accessible pockets for snacks and other stuff is a priority. I have used bottles and camelbacks and prefer camelbacks, despite not knowing how much is in them. So long as you fill up when you have opportunity, volume or lack of it has never been a problem. I use a 3 litre, but rarely fill it more than 2/3. As for growing stuff, that is just a matter of hygiene - something that is generally anathema to the young....

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 21 December 2007, 10:29 AM  
I use a 25litre OMM pack. I reckon these are pretty good, pockets on the waist band so you can store several hours worth of bars and leppins. Mesh pockets on the side fit 500ml or 750ml drink bottles. Lightweight fabric but seems to last pretty well, it's still going strong after more than a year of lots of use and abuse. Weighs about 500gm I think which is lighter than most.

I think people overlook the weight on their back. There is no point carrying extra weight up several thousand metres in a rogaine if you don't need to.

OMM also have a 20litre pack. The 25litre pack is enough for an overnight Mountain Marathon in UK where you need to carry tent, sleeping bag and cooker etc.
http://www.theomm.com

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz