maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Orienteering Visitor

Show Profile  Cristina Posted: 6 December 2007, 11:11 AM  
Hi!

I'm traveling to NZ with a friend this summer for the Waitangi Summer Carnival (and the week before to play tourist). Neither of us has ever been to New Zealand and I figured this was a good place to poke around and get some advice on what to do during the extra time we'll have. It's a bit overwhelming to read about how much there is to see and do...

We'd obviously like to spend a lot of time outside and would like to see and do things that are uniquely New Zealand. So, how about it? If you had a week starting in Auckland and ending in Taupo, what would you do? Any 1 or 2 night hikes you'd do? Beaches? Museums? Must-eat restaurants?

For some reason I trust the insight of other orienteers in such matters. This is truly your chance to corrupt my mind with your personal biases...

Thanks!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 6 December 2007, 11:27 AM  
You should do the volcanic traverse as that's something pretty unique, and handyish to Taupo.

Apart from that you should really try and spend time in the South Island as it's much more beautiful...

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 6 December 2007, 12:16 PM  
jenni that was off topic apart from the tongoriro crossing bit which is pretty awesome. so ill give you just a c- ok! Some of the coolest places in the north island are north of auckland like the bay of islands and the kauri forest area with tane mahuta, and even heading out to Tiri Tiri Matangi island from auckland is very cool and a unique experience. could probably visit whakatane or tauranga and go to white island as well, thats sweet. depends how much you want to drive around!

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 6 December 2007, 12:35 PM  
Hi Cristina

My wife and I live in Rotorua, close to Taupo. If you after some outdoors stuff like white water rafting, running, mountain biking then Rotorua is an awesome place. I also have a couple of decent overnight tramps you could do close to here as well - one in the Ureweras which is real rugged NZ bush.

If you want to stay at our place for a few nights you would be more than welcome to.

If you are keen send me an email marcus@marcusdiprose.com.

Cheers!

Marcus

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 December 2007, 1:13 PM  
One of my favourite little spots (and I'm not going to be too specific because it would thereby be destroyed) is Kerosene Creek. A hot-water stream in the middle of nowhere. Marcus will tell you where it is.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 6 December 2007, 1:15 PM  
Secret Spot is better! In close vicinity to Kerosene Creek though.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 6 December 2007, 2:13 PM  
Hi Cristina,

Everything mention above is great. The Corromandel Penisula is also very nice if you like the beaches and hiking. Please note Marcus is not referring to Brent and his friends when he mentions one night tramps in Rotorua. Tramping is the NZ term for hiking.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 6 December 2007, 2:20 PM  
Yep - definitely go to Rotorua and Coromandel. You can't go wrong, throw in the Crossing and you're set for a week, you probably won't leave.
What is a museum though? Is that Christchurch?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 6 December 2007, 4:17 PM  
atleast we have mountains in the south island...

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 December 2007, 4:59 PM  
Bloomberg that is like saying "at least we have roads in the north island". You might have the highest mountains in NZ but not the only mountains.

Thank god we don't have bloomberg in the north island.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 6 December 2007, 11:36 PM  
Man orienteers rock at tourist guides!

So to link that all up...

head north for a day or so, plenty of options and definitely check out Tiritiri Matangi, islands are where its at for wildlife

Then back to akld and catch a ferry to coromandel, buy some smoked seafood and coffees and consume them. Look around the Coromandel

Then head down the Coromandel east coast, through Tauranga and to Marcus's. I vouch for him, a little bit creepy but not an axe murderer. Then there is endless fun to be had in Rotorua.

ps. if your friend is a girl you should definitely avoid anyone calling themselves Brent...and why do tourists never go to Wellington?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 7 December 2007, 12:49 AM  
you have only got hills in the north island...

Show Profile  dam Posted: 7 December 2007, 1:47 AM  
Hawkes Bay is where you get beautiful sunny days, warm balmy nights, hardly any rain, great vineyards, abundant fresh in-season fruit, and some of the best orienteeerers in the country, and there is always floor space at the morrisons.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 7 December 2007, 2:40 AM  
and then theres the Hawkes Bay which has what...The weather.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 7 December 2007, 3:52 AM  
if you can, get your own wheels; but don't get fooled into a week of driving.

a week isn't long, so it'll help if you have a theme to work with... but if you wanna mix it up, coromandel penninsula, rotorua and the tongariro crossing is more than enough.

When you're not crashing with Marcus, DOC campsites are the way to go

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/ByRegionLanding.aspx?id=37039

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 7 December 2007, 4:37 AM  
Getting specific - in Rotorua get a Whakarewarewa Forest Mountain Bike Map from the visitor centre in Redwoods and hire a bike, or run around the forest. Can do a great 34km loop from Blue Lake and finish with a swim.
And on top of the hills of the Tongariri Crossing you might be able to catch a glimpse of the mountains of the South Island; a little like glimsping far off Mordor.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz