maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Fun Adventure Racing to be done

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 November 2007, 4:48 AM  
Hey,

Just thought I'd remind the orienteering crowd of some adventure racing I am organising with a some real interesting navigation elements.

Two events in the next couple of months, a training weekend in Rotorua 24/25th November and "Adventure Taupo" 15/16th December.

A great thing about the races especially from an orienteers point of view is that you don't need kayaks.

A highlight of the Adventure Taupo course is going to be a trek/coasteering/snorkelling stage which will be a blast.

Want more information check out www.madeventz.co.nz/kiwisummer

Jamie

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 November 2007, 6:09 AM  
The training weekend/crash course in Rotorua was superb with highlights being the presentation by Brent and team Orion, and the adventure race yesterday with teams of 4, and each person simulating problems that can occur in AR without the others prior knowledge, and overcoming these problems. Great to see some orienteers trying this sport for the first time, and hopefully more have a go for the races ahead.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 27 November 2007, 1:37 PM  
If the two events Jamie runs in Taupo next month and Rotorua next year are like the training weekend just been they will be excellent. Really looking forward to the snorkeling especially if it is a hot day. Maybe a snorkeling leg could be added into one of the Waitangi races for those adventure racers doing a bit of nav training!

Good stuff so far Jamie and your hard work is appreciated. Really looking forward to the next installment.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 27 November 2007, 1:46 PM  
Maybe adventure racers can stick to adventure racing events if they
a) want races decided on random tasks that have no athletic base
b) to search for misplaced checkpoints on substandard maps
c) want to do adventure racing

If you top quality orienteering with a world class environment that is being organised by competent orienteers then come to the Waitangi Summer Carnival

Adventure racing and orienteering events are two different things, dont get confused just because adventure racing has an "orienteering component" (I use that term very loosely) that orienteering events should have an adventure racing component

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 27 November 2007, 4:30 PM  
you missed out three vital words greg which are WHICH DOESN'T MEAN...and yes im counting doesn't as one word big whoop wanna fight about it?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 November 2007, 6:50 PM  
Orienteering with an adventure racing component. Greg you come up with some great ideas...

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 28 November 2007, 1:23 AM  
Greg - a bit touchy aren't we!

A joking comment about a snorkeling leg in orienteering, gets a post like that. It does nothing to sell the non-geeky, friendly and social sport of orienteering. Maybe you should have quoted some technical rules about how a snorkling leg would not fit the IOF standards, just to really prove your point.

Pull your head in mate. It was a joke. It's not like there are TOO MANY many people doing orienteering. We're (maybe that should be you orienteers are) trying to attract new people like MARCUSD who want to improve their skills.

This message was edited by runningbeast on 28 November 2007, 8:25 AM

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 28 November 2007, 2:36 AM  
Man talk about lighting a fire under you Greg! I am extremely happy you are taking my snorkeling in orienteering courses comment seriously though. I can really see some cross over benefits to AR there. Jamie, when you set your course for Waitangi can you please keep that in mind! How about a ropes section as well?

FYI - I actually orienteer as well (badly at times but improving!). Did Labour weekend in the Hawkes Bay and will be doing some of the Waitangi events. Why? Because I enjoy orienteering - it is good fun and very challenging - and it is good nav practice for AR. So I get at least two benefits out of it. Maybe you should do a few 24 hour adventure races Greg to improve your athletic base...

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 28 November 2007, 4:43 AM  
I think the point Greg was making is that the Waitangi Summer Carnival is a showcase of orienteering to really put top quality events out there. Suggesting adding a snorkelling leg to one of them is like saying maybe the next All Blacks game should be played in leotards to attract more women to rugby. It's a bit insulting.

Besides, Greg is not a fan of AR, and Waitangi is his baby. I'm looking forward to Waitangi cos it's gonna be the best orienteering of next year and I don't want it watered down either.

Basically I think his point is that he's happy to see adventure racers come along but we're not going to change our sport to suit you.

Sweet.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 28 November 2007, 4:51 AM  
SJ - I can't stop laughing at the seriousness of your post. As runningbeast said I am only JOKING. I definitely don't expect any orienteering event to change just because adventure racers are competing and I wouldn't want it to either.

Good winding you guys up though!

Now if I can just get hold of an O suit before Waitangi next year or maybe some leotards instead - or are leotards just limited to women's rugby...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 November 2007, 7:43 AM  
hahahaha

and to think Brent and I had been nurturing Marcus up for a place on the Rotorua orienteering committee....

I think you've revealed the hidden undercurrent of intolerance and nav fascism amongst the orienteering clique and blown our chances of success...

ps its more important that everyone enjoys Waitangi and has a blast, rather than the technical showpiece of navigation!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 November 2007, 9:23 AM  
I was actually trying to wind Jamie (and maybe Garden) up a bit, but it seems with a few people trying to tell me I've been wound up, they themselves have been.

If this is getting serious, I am a fan of getting ARists into more oing, but not at the expense of turning an orienteering event into an orienteering event with a AR component, mtbo already does that

Show Profile  addison Posted: 28 November 2007, 10:21 AM  
I reckon we should pass an amendment to the constitution of the NZOF next year, saying that all ARists are banned from major orienteering events.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 28 November 2007, 11:18 AM  
Greg - your dig about MTBO will really get Garden going! We did do a fun score event on Saturday in Vegas though.

Looking forward to Waitangi and thanks for your hard work in getting the event going. As I said before I never expect to have AR elements in orienteering events as it kind of defeats the purpose really. I promise not to bring my mask and snorkel to any of the races in February but am I allowed to wear wollen socks?

Addison before you propose the amendment just remember Jamie gave you a very big vote of thanks at the AR training weekend just been. You are not turning to the dark side are you? And when are you in Vegas next for some beers?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 November 2007, 11:24 AM  
I can report that last nights O-Max (sprint distance series in Wgtn/HV) race had a snorkeling control, but the tide went out and the flag became visible above the water:-((

Show Profile  addison Posted: 28 November 2007, 12:45 PM  
Just remember? How can I remember something when (a) I wasn't there, or (b) hadn't heard about it until now. Dunno when be in vegas, gotta do some firewood with brentage at some stage :-O

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz