maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Winsplits

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 28 October 2007, 1:33 PM  
Are there any winsplits guru's out there?
As there are not many runner in my grade, I wanted to compare times with runners on the same course but in another grade. (Even if it is depressing to see how much the speedy W20s kick my butt). I can't see any way that you can combine grades. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Also: When I gave up on trying to do the above, I tried to print out my splits so that I could compare the hardcopy with the other grades on the screen. But the printing options always seems to cut off the splits half way across the page. Has anyone found a way around that?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 October 2007, 2:05 PM  
copy and paste into excel

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 October 2007, 11:58 PM  
The answer is for organisers to load courses instead of grades into winsplits....can you do both?

In the recent oceania event the on site splits were displayed by course, ie w20 with w21E in the sprint etc.

And that moves onto a pet hate of mine, organisers, eg the recent akld champs who don't load onto winsplits at all, instead loading onto their site and an inferior system that doesn't provide leg rankings....is there a reason for this?

Why have the technology, then not get all the benefits out of it we can?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 October 2007, 1:46 AM  
ah Jamie

http://85.89.72.58/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=classes&databaseId=8446

http://85.89.72.58/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=classes&databaseId=8445

I think someone needs to apologise.

You bring up the next question - Why have so many grades (and courses)?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 October 2007, 4:33 AM  
oops, I meant Auckland Champs! (even better a NZ event)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 October 2007, 4:41 AM  
What are you on about Jamie?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 October 2007, 5:02 AM  
opps, arrgggh

ok akld champs, well how long did it take them to post them on winsplits? I will apologise if it was less than 10 days after the event...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 October 2007, 5:18 AM  
yes it was

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 October 2007, 8:25 AM  
I personally believe you are barking up the wrong tree to the days Jamie.

Show Profile  borisgr Posted: 29 October 2007, 1:13 PM  
Rolf>> Try http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/help.aspx?topic=createCourse for creating "custom classes" that allow you to compare runners who, for example, ran the same course but were in different classes. (I am assuming you have WinSplits Pro, the full version of the software.)

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 30 October 2007, 2:31 AM  
It does sometimes seem forever before some splits are posted to winsplits, often causing a mild but potentially dangerous case of splitresulterage in some susceptible orienteers, usually the more analytical type suffer the worst symptoms.
I've had it before and it ain't pretty.

If you havn't got the pro version the "Bonus Content" gives random tantilising bits of the full monty. The "Time Loss & Error Free" bar graph is great, and the "Pack Running" can be quite revealing.
These you can print off as pictures and stick it with you map for all posterity if want to. The time loss one is a awesome summary of the race and what might have been, giving a good gage of your running speed compared to others. Warning - it can also be depressing!
It would be even cooler if we could all start using Route Gadget more often though do you think?

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 30 October 2007, 2:41 AM  
"tantalising bits of the full monty."

That's worrying...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 30 October 2007, 6:01 AM  
Nice one.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 November 2007, 9:04 AM  
i uploaded the splits from auckland champs greg (not organisers), so you're correct there jamie.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 December 2007, 12:40 PM  
Excel will do... Thanks Greg. Borisgr's answer is obviously the ultimate solution but no I don't have the Pro version.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz