maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Awesome Labour Weekend

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 October 2007, 1:49 PM  
You could try antiperspirant deodorant on your soft sweaty feet Paul. Has been used by alpine climbers to help keep their feet warm. Might work up until your first stream crossing...

Show Profile  o'man Posted: 24 October 2007, 5:03 PM  
Hey Paul,

A few suggestions that you might like to try out. I don't (normally) have blister problems orienteering but have had some for longer events such as rogaines. I've found the following works well for me...

1: Smother your hot spots - heels, balls (of feet) etc - with vaseline to reduce friction of skin moving against sock

2: Wear two pairs of socks. I use a thin and fairly firm fitting inner layer (eg thin Ultimax or Pearl Izumi) - the idea is that the inner layer doesn't move much against your skin. Then use a decent woollen outer layer (eg bridgedale). Any movement that occurs will hopefully be sock against sock rather than sock against skin

3: Though this is more useful for callouses... if the blisters are recurring in the same spot and you're getting a thick skin buildup then get out the sandpaper, file, rasp or whatever takes your fancy and thin this layer down a bit. If you allow the skin to build up, it will add more pressure to the spot(s)

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 25 October 2007, 3:10 AM  
Nice. Thanks a million for the ideas which I'm keen to try out on my long runs....

Sorry for running off topic Michael!

There are definately lots of very strong O Families out there, my own family tried our best but didn't have a show, even we did have plenty of exceptional results. We are very proud of 9 year old Owen Ireland who came away with one 2nd and three 1st placings! His closest battles were with young Tony Goodall of Hamilton who was not far behind. Two other M10 speedsters, Thomas Cummack and Vaughan Sceats who were 1st and 3rd respectively on the first day didn't run the other days for some reason.

Other results:
The M40 is one of the highly competitive grades that you don't hear much about.
In the CD LONG: Pete Swanson showing his very strong running form at the moment handled the complex terrain very well, blitzing the field by a wopping 10 minutes. (did I say it was competitive?) I'm not sure of everyone elses excuses but my rustiness showed big time with a number of instances of loosing contact in the complex red zones, and a very dumb route choice on a long leg. Paul Ireland was 2nd while Grant Davidson took 3rd.
MIDDLE: Hamish Goodwin ran an excellent clean race though the rocks taking the win with most others suffering some errors either down in the steep and complex gully spur area or getting confused with the nice but complex limestone rock detail. Ireland just beat Swanson by a narrow 4 seconds.
SPRINT: Don't you love the pressure and excitment of the sprints.
Swanson was first starter with Ireland starting just 1 minute back. I (Paul I) saw Pete S ahead several times but just couldn't catch him. This time Swanson returned the favour of a 4 second beating to Ireland. With plenty of talent in the field though it was Andrew McNeil who took the title by 30 seconds over Pete and Paul. Rob Collier who won last years WOC Sprint closley followed in 4th while Hamish Goodwin, while on track to put in a fast time, missed a control.
WN LONG: Very windy conditions and steep terrain set the scene for a different race on the last day, with some fatigue perhaps taking its toll on most of the field. Swanson deserved a great win by 2 1/2 minutes with a strong run and very few errors. Goodwin took 2nd and Ireland took 3rd, while Paul Dalton who never ran the other races but was running strongly, tripped up in the deep native gully area finished in 4th place.

Although the weekends top placings were mostly faught between the same guys who have being performing the most consistantly in the M40 there were plenty of very creadible performances very close behind. In particular Grant Davidson, Gerald Crawford, Andrew McNeil put in some very good results.
Ian Simpson, Jonh Robertson, Chris Howell, Peter Wood, and Malcolm Gawn have also been consistantly putting in top 10 results.

Its the peoples spirit and friendliness who make these competitions so awesome. Cheers to you all.

This message was edited by Paul I on 25 October 2007, 11:16 AM

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 25 October 2007, 8:49 AM  
Hi - Labour weekend was my first multiday event. Congrats to the Hawkes Bay club for putting on a really good weekend with some very challenging courses. Now I just need to work on the fitness levels.

Roll on Waitangi week(end).

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 25 October 2007, 11:34 AM  
this is a blister tip i got from sam's mum julie: it follows on from smothering hotspots with vaseline. basically you vaseline every survace that has the possibility to rub. so gauze on top of an existing blister then tape, then vas, then vas the inside bit of the sock where it will meet the tape, then the outside of the sock, then the inside of the shoe. this works a treat! only be careful that your shoes are tied on properly...

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 25 October 2007, 12:30 PM  
Another suggestion from Vaseline is to use a silicone based product such as Gurney Goo. Also has tea tree oil in it so it acts as an antiseptic. Great for adventure racing!

Show Profile  dam Posted: 31 October 2007, 3:59 AM  
If anyone wants to know about 'feet' ask Amber or Val. Val seriously thinking of becoming a 'foot consultant'.....NOT!!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 2 November 2007, 9:28 AM  
At some stage after the sprint and before the old brain got reoxygenated I must have put my map down and not picked it up again - either at the school or at Arataki. As it's definitely a "keeper" (thanks to the awesome work by Duncan and team), if anyone has picked it up could they get in touch - most reliable way at the moment is to text to 021 036 1628.

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 4 November 2007, 11:30 PM  
Maps left behind at events and certificates won have been mailed to club secretaries. With luck oneman your map will be there.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 5 November 2007, 3:54 AM  
Deco Dash sprint has been put on routegadget
http://www.cmorienteering.com/gadget/cgi-bin/reitti.pl

other events will be added as files become available

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz