maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Madgedy malady

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 9:22 AM  
Near the main highway. From the big Cliffs by the river northwards, and back towards the middle with a valley full of nice small rock features.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 September 2007, 9:39 AM  
Rest assured - we used that for training one time.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 9:53 AM  
What a huge relief.
That's the thing with mapping. You have to map every nook and cranny thoroughly just incase someone decides to use some unlikely area, even at the extremities, for a control site.
Sadly though, some little gems of sites never get seen by another orienteer; destined only to be fading memories of an excited fieldworker.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 4 September 2007, 10:05 AM  
cool area

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 4 September 2007, 10:12 AM  
I think we skipped through it in an OY once too. But most people who use maptalk either wern't around then or were too hungover to run. Shame it is a nice area.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 10:28 AM  
At least we got to stay with a young Neil K in when he was a strapping young man. His lovely and generous mum and dad put us up while down there.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 4 September 2007, 1:24 PM  
wasn't that area the 1st use of the map? model for nats 96?

But yeah agree with you Paul. I also know of mappers who have had to dodge felling areas while fieldworking....

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 4 September 2007, 4:33 PM  
i heard you've recently had a close encounter yourself Jamie

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 7:17 PM  
I crapped myself mapping in Borlange when I suddenly discovered a big moose not far away and heading my direction. There was no vegetation to hide behind so all I could do was creap very quietly behind a tree try not to breathe until the bugger passed by. Aparently they like to attack humans.

Comming across hunters with guns out in the woop woops also get the the heart rate up a bit.

One visiting Scandi stumbled upon a wild sow with her enterage of piglets when running at Mamaku, she chased and squeeled at him so much he dnf'ed coming back to the carpark in a complete state of terror. He'd never seen a captain cooker before, and never wanted to again.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 7:28 PM  
Oh Jamie, you might be right about the model event. We were busy setting one of the days so never went to the model - so not sure, it would have been a good teaser though.

It was cool when we used to get model events... and little snippets of the maps in the advertising garbo to tempt and excite you.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 5 September 2007, 12:12 AM  
Yeah I was mapping recently, not O mapping, just fiddling with a topo...and a bit of rimu from above the canopy fell on my head resulting in a few stitches.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz