maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Madgedy malady

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 August 2007, 10:53 AM  
Hey I've been suffering from a new malady today and I've coined it Madgedy.

It occurs when you find the most beautiful new orienteering area you have ever seen, but have to dodge the active felling areas as you mission around.

Has anyone suffered from this before, how long does it last? I am really struggling with it.

The area would have been Taharoa, it could have been 10sq km of the most open sand dune forest ever, with nice hills and interesting detail...and amazing coastal scenery.

Next bay down from Kawhia, Simon has the photographic evidence

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 29 August 2007, 11:01 AM  
Yeah, have experienced this Jamie, down the south coast of NSW, three of us found a beautiful Woodhill like area adjacent to Jervis bay. Would have been a great xmas 5-days to get orienteering going there but before we could blink it was felled.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 August 2007, 11:18 AM  
I take it, its a different feeling to that of seeing one of the most awesome maps just sitting there and not available for use because of a certain cultural trust

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 August 2007, 11:29 AM  
Yeah Jamie I think I know how you feel, I have a similar feeling after a mission I did yesterday down the western side of the mighty greater Waikato.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 29 August 2007, 11:37 AM  
Perhaps some combined land-purchasing is in order, or, desperate measures, some creative conjugal pairing if you know what I mean

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 30 August 2007, 12:51 AM  
How about a Cultural Land Claim lodged by the resident ancestors of Scandanavian Orienteering Viking Settlers who had their land stolen by the Moriori and then restolen by the Maori and then...........
Maybe we could ask Paul I or Mick Finn to put together some documentation in their special Legal Speak in order for the process to begin from a stable legal platform???

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 30 August 2007, 2:00 AM  
yes, I think

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 August 2007, 3:23 AM  
Great to see that someone is checking out the potential Orienteering area (Taharoa) I added in March.

I suggest we just wait a few more years and check out the area again
- it will probably be replanted.

There have been many times before where my brothers and I have kept
on checking out the same area over time - its amazing with pine forests how much they can change in just a few years.

I found a lovely open forest near Ahururi once but North West couldn't get permission from the owners. Probably the worst thing that can happen is that you map an area or pay for photogrammetry for an area and find that the owners won't now allow you to have an event on it. Another bummer was when one club (Hamilton) paid for
photogrammetry and found that the wrong forest area was plotted. Luckily a few years later on, the area became usuable and they didn't lose out.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 August 2007, 4:16 AM  
Where abouts was that area Bryan, Kawhia?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 August 2007, 4:27 AM  
Not Kawhia - although I did hear that Kawhia had trouble later on and the Maori owners wouldn't give permission to run on the map - motto: always keep the owners happy.

Actually the two maps were near Te Aroha in the Kaimais and quite close to each other:
Kallarney Lake and Mt Eliza
(with Mt Eliza being mapped several years after the Kallarney Lake map)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 August 2007, 4:37 AM  
I see.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 August 2007, 4:57 AM  
I'm remembered a couple more:
- Hokio sanddune map (used for ANZ Challenge relays 1983) was only
run on once before the owners said no more
- Hidden Lakes - one owner (thankfully not in the Lakes area) only gave permission for about 2 events before he stopped giving us permission - I suspect he wanted to get a free map with contours on it so he could use it for his irrigation scheme he was creating.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 30 August 2007, 5:01 AM  
Unfortunately there are probably some more madgedies waiting to happen if we don't get to them before an unthinkable happens.

Bryan - I don't find your words re Taharoa so comforting after calculating what grade I might be running by the time a second mature forest has regrown.
The worst hard luck madegdies must be with the loss of potential virgin territory. Not only do we miss out on a great map, but the greatest events are most often the initial championship event it may have hosted.
There must be some big issues, madgedies etc in choosing WOC area's in Europe, with tight rules on when the area last hosted an orienteering event, I suspect most awesome candidates would already have been sniffed out. They must have to Obank (Landbank O-speak), speaking of which... on google earth I spotted a huge very nice looking granite area in Oz, it looks so amazing and handy to an O centre that I do wonder if they have landbanked this for bigger things!
Back to the subject, one of our biggest madegies must be in not making more use of Kiangaroa Forest while it was in its prime. Anyone running there way back when would know as I do how delicious some of the terrain and clean forests were. The same will probably happen with the forests up north. Is it just too far away for anything? I guess so.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 30 August 2007, 7:02 AM  
Mamaku! What a loss.

At least they took an age to finally fell it, and a few more events than expected, were held.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 4 September 2007, 9:16 AM  
Double Madgedy from a mappers view.
Imagine after all the sweat and headaches of mapping half of Mamaku, and only ever getting to run on it once. (a test run for course setting for that matter!)

...another mapping frustration, (there are many) Mapping a good size block of farmland and native bush with plenty of nice rock detail meticulously for several days only to have that part of the map never ever to be used as far as I know! (Front part of the large Pio Pio map)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 4 September 2007, 9:18 AM  
When you say front part, does that mean the top part of the map Paul?

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz