maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

World Cup at O-ringen!

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 24 July 2007, 5:06 PM  
Top 5 of middle B Final, qualify for A final in Sprint tommorrow according to WC qualification scheme.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 24 July 2007, 5:07 PM  
Awesome work Tania.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 July 2007, 5:32 PM  
Nothing like a 2 hour mass start race to blow away the cobwebs. We'd better have some more Great Day O's. Go Tan!

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 24 July 2007, 6:31 PM  
Spoke to Tania after her run and she was pleased. I have had the difference explained to between a rock and a knoll coz over here the two things are the bloody same - a whooping great rock! A brown dot knoll has big vegetation growing on it! It is still a rock!And a rock is a rock with no big vegetation growing on it. Small vegetation doesnt work. Sweden isnt using the grey area on the map like finland did to show large formation of rocks. Seemingly sweden is alone in this decision´. Today I took 20 mins to get to control 3 and the rest is time across the ground.These bastards fly! oH AND THEY CAN NAVIGATE! Runability seemed to be better today or maybe without the rain I was able to see. Either way it still took me 97 mins to run 6.2km. Its frustrating when the winning time is 37 mins. Tomorrow is another day

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 July 2007, 7:51 PM  
I thought Tanya was capable of taking out the B final but I didn't want to jinx her by placing bets.

Hi Malcolm!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 25 July 2007, 3:24 AM  
Maybe we should run a "How to run in Sweden" class sometime for people planing to go to Sweden because there's plenty of us that have lived there who could probably help overcome some of the old-favourite problems. Like one of the first things I tell people is that Sweden is pretty much made of rock with not so much soil so expect that lots of the brown on the map will look like rock to you! Once you're used to it, it's easier than sanddune contours to interpret because the shapes are much more defined. Also if you're planning to run in Sweden, get over thinking that if it doens't look like clean Woodhill then it can't be white - in preparation go training in areas with lots of undergrowth and rocks. Remember lots of Swedes run in snow through the winter and after three months of running in snow, any snowless terrain feels easy going and fast. Before one of my club's events in Sweden they got all the elites running through lots of the areas and if we were going 70% of max speed or greater it was white, it's amazing what shit you can get through and still go 70% of your speed if you're used to it.

Anyway I hope that this and what Mal's written don't put you off because it's just so much fun orienteering in Sweden. If only I could get a job where I could live half a year in NZ and half a year in Sweden...

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 25 July 2007, 4:02 AM  
Hey Jenni - sounds like a useful topic for an article - anyone keen just send their tips to me at mick.finn@clear.net.nz and I'll try to collate. Maps and pics welcome too, and tips preferably in English. Probably need some fashion and etiquette tips in there too, Ross and Stu...

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 25 July 2007, 4:43 AM  
Tania will start 8th in the A final WC sprint later tonight. Not sure on the exact time but it will be early hours of the morning for us. She's just about up to speed with interpreting the map, but not quite at 100% with reading and running (the map). Only one decent mistake in the B final. She's also picked up a small foot injury from monday's long distance to go with her achilles injury, but they're both manageable. Otherwise all good but still tired from even before she left NZ. WC, O-ringen and WOC are the perfect holiday.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 25 July 2007, 5:24 AM  
H40 short
Rudy H
Day 1 61:14 (149th from 206) winning time 35:04
Day 2 69:37 (186th) w/t 32:38

H40
Mal G
Day 1 94:42 (170th from 179) w/t 36:21
Day 2 97:06 (172nd) w/t 35:19

H55
Tony P
Day 1 84:01 (135th from 161) w/t 40:26
Day 2 74:54 (137th) w/t 33:46

H21 short
Dave M
Day 1 88:20 (168th from 188) w/t 34:57
Day 2 70:24 (94th) w/t 43:01

I'll try to update these as they progress.
Hopefully we will see everyone make some progress as they get used to the terrain!

Malcolm , these top guys running very fast times in your grade were mostly outstanding WC and WOC representatives in the 80's and 90's. It's unreal to see how they continue to orienteer at breakneck speed.

Jenni, wise words under the circumstances...in '89 I spent 6 months in Borlange with Stora Tuna doing mapping etc and lots of O, almost all of the events were a fantastic experience, the weather was great, I specifically recall sunbathing at many lakesides!
O-Ringen that year was up in Jamtland (Ostersund?), the terrain was awesome.
Bragging rights...Can anyone beat my record placing for a kiwi at O-Ringen- P.I. H21B1 Day 1 10th from over 200. There was over 20 000 competitors that year.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 July 2007, 5:30 AM  
I believe we have had several stage wins, Marquita, Mat Backler, Trish and Dave winning all 5 finish splits in 01

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 25 July 2007, 12:21 PM  
I claim three stage wins. That should be worth an ice cream.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 25 July 2007, 2:06 PM  
Go Dave!!

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 25 July 2007, 7:05 PM  
Hi Paul. Today was great weather and fantastic runability and the rock and the dot knoll strike again. In places I was running too fast. I followed some scandy guy through some dark green, what a legend and we were at speed! felt great. Control 4 missed right control 9 lost contact in very bland terrain 11 missed left, and in low viz green oh that was fun we have nothing like that I am begining to love the orienteering over here. It is slaughtering my times but the terrrain is awesome!!! I cant rate the terrain enough. It outstanding. Running through all the fell and undergrowth and hidden rocks its a real buzz. finally at control 14 i lost contact momentarily at speed and took 15 mins to do a 3 min control I ended up going back and repuching 13 and almost walked the 3 mins to 14 aaaaargh. I was 1 sec slower in the finish chute today. We have had the same chute for three days. Tomorrow is new forest and new terrain. and I cant wait.
Jenni please how do you use the rock features as relocating features - is that possible if they are smaller features or only if marked as cliffs - now there is another thing when is a cliff a cliff and not a rock? Had a rock today that we would mark as a cliff coz if I fell of it I would break! Never mind. Thanks for yours thoughts Jenni. They are helpful - and again I LOVE the terrain. And reading about the stage wins, I dont think that is possible for this kid in the type of company that is here. The scandis are FAST. Its a pleasure to compete against them

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 25 July 2007, 7:14 PM  
In 45 minutes there is a Sprint for the world cup guys and girls in Mjolby. Thats going to be 0300 for you guys so I guess no one is listening, so gotta go
GO TANIA

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 26 July 2007, 1:10 AM  
Tania 33 happy with that run tania.Good training for the big one.
Mal If you can do up the rock its mapped as contour lines in Sweden.If you can not go up its mapped as cliff. Hope this helps.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz