maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Auckland Relay Champs???

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 12 June 2007, 11:36 AM  
Sounds like a great event but was it actually a relay?

Maybe I misread but didn't all competitors massstart? therefore its not a relay...may be a club challenge or something (no shame in that)

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 June 2007, 11:55 AM  
I dont think the Auckland Relays have ever been a relay, but thats what they call it

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 June 2007, 12:59 PM  
This year was much better than previous where it has been things like a team score event

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 12 June 2007, 1:10 PM  
Sounded like the perfect relay, everyone had the experience of a mass start but with different courses for each leg, with butterflies and splits. And no waiting around in the rain for the next two people to run.

Show Profile  Dave Posted: 12 June 2007, 3:04 PM  
The Auckland relay champs have at times in the past been in the traditional relay format.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 13 June 2007, 8:11 AM  
The map looks far too hard for a proper relay. Should be orange level maximum for a proper nz relay.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 June 2007, 8:43 AM  
shut up and sip your pina coladas

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 13 June 2007, 9:37 AM  
Waiting around in the rain (and snow and sub-zero temperatures) is what makes tiomila so great.

I do think this is a good alternative that probably works better in NZ. But a relay has other stuff, including waiting for your team mates and the strategies involved the that you can't get by having a mass start race.

This weekend, by the way, is the best (in my, and many others opinion) orienteering relay in the world, jukola. I'm very jealous of Carsten being able to do it, although doing a 12 hour rogaine with Rachel and Sia is a good alternative.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz