maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Myths About Orienteering

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 July 2007, 12:08 PM  
Focussing on contours is good advice where there is an overload of rock detail. There may be terrains where there is an overload of contour detail, and something else might be the easily readable feature.

The myth is not the advice as such, but the accuracy of contours. It is normal to modify the basemap contours, on some maps extensively, and on a few maps the contours are entirely the mapper's interpretation.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 29 July 2007, 1:13 PM  
I tried to focus on the contours today at Stags Roar but there is one particular spot in the low vis block where 'reading contours carefully = finding control easily', is difinately a myth!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 July 2007, 1:19 PM  
208?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 August 2007, 5:55 AM  
"I'll bring it for you on Sunday."

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 August 2007, 3:41 AM  
Harking back to a previous myth, the Czech manufacturer of MTB mapholders used to photograph for "Orienteering Today". I asked him what he knew about the health of the editor.

He says "Jan Skricka is fine, having new job and no more working for magazine."

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 3 August 2007, 4:06 AM  
this was posted today

http://www.orienteeringtoday.com/index.php?id=251

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 August 2007, 4:04 AM  
"A group of people can make a track in one day, it takes days to months for an orienteering event to be organised."

I went to the AGM of the Makara Peak (MTB Park) Supporters last night. They have been going for 9 years, have made 30km of track and planted 30,000 natives. The focus is shifting now to maintenance and pest control. The work party last Sunday had 60 people.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 August 2007, 4:12 AM  
Cool, lets make an O map. We need a working bee to plant 10 ooo ooo trees near middlemarch in september, then another to shift 25 383 rocks from tongariro to woodhill in october. I'm in.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 August 2007, 4:27 AM  
I'd be up for shepherding a massive herd of cattle around the countryside visiting key location, the old pinelands forests and waikaia spring to mind

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 August 2007, 4:45 AM  
Goats, Jamie just ask Simon

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 10 August 2007, 5:08 AM  
GOATS - did someone mention goats!!!!! one of my first loves!!!!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 August 2007, 5:33 AM  
Youd'd never recognise those old pinelands forests now; if the club still existed it would have to rename itself 'Farmlands O club'.... between Rotorua and Tokoroa Graham Hart, new owner of Carter Holt is devouring trees like you've never seen. The 01 Feb 2008 deadline for clearing land from exotic forests for other uses before incurring a giant kyoto tax is looming, in the last 12 months he has wiped out 7000 hectares, which is part of a total of a rumoured 30 000 hectares to go. Local gossop has it that Hart is going to build his very own dairy factory (anyone with spare cash for shares? this guy is clever). To the west one wealthy land owner has errected three 50-bale rotary cow sheds so far on another huge block. They are still felling trees at 30 hectares per day. There are many more farmers grabbing this opportunity including landcorp who are stripping 25 000 hectares of pines at Taupo. Bless their little socks.

Maybe there is a trade off?
Could we petition parliament; as part of our kyoto obligations, I propose we find all available government owned land (suitable for orienteering) and plant vast quantities of exotic and deciduous forests. Jamie could be in charge of goat herding and vegetation control while Michael would have sole rights to TMP's (track management plans).

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 August 2007, 9:05 AM  
its going to be interesting when the bottom falls out of the diary market

biggest problem is that the buggers bulldoze all the paddocks so that even when dairy land is reverted to tight dark douglas fir there are no contour features left.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 August 2007, 9:30 AM  
Can't see that in a hurry, protein is in demand, us farmers planting cow food land for bio fuel. Or are you some sort of fortune telling freak? Is a kiwi gonna top20 @ WOC 2007???

This message was edited by Paul I on 10 August 2007, 5:34 PM

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 10 August 2007, 10:32 AM  
Don't know about the whole lactbovinarian thing but definitely keen on the top20 concept with a small but very talented team why not? Perhaps like non protein fruit and veg we should try for 5 a day, although Clem would have to run then to make up the 5.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz