maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Myths About Orienteering

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 June 2007, 3:07 PM  
With all the training I'm doing this winter, I'm looking forward to my big breakthrough season.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 June 2007, 3:10 PM  
(Biggest myth yet) : That's got everyone panicking.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 July 2007, 3:30 AM  
That Norwegian Micr-O format was such a good idea that countries all round the world are getting into it.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 July 2007, 2:05 PM  
This is second-hand off Nopesport 11 Jul, but it seems likely it was actually sent to subscribers...

We have for the last month been working very hard to establish a new organization that can make a future for Orienteering Today. We are now quite sure that Orienteering Today will survive.
Our plan is to:
- Establish a new organization
- Make a new business plan for the magazine
- Make sure that we give our subscribers the magazines and product you have paid for
We hope that we have all this planned during the next 14 days.
We will come back with more information and a delivery schedule as soon as possible.
We are very sorry for this situation and we kindly ask our subscribers to have patience.
Best regards,
Audun Bjerkreim Nilsen – Marketing Director Sport of Today
Per Arne Troset – Owner of Sport of Today

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 18 July 2007, 12:38 AM  
Ooooh, scathing, Michael!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 18 July 2007, 1:07 AM  
perhaps a name change to 'Orienteering Tomorrow"

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 July 2007, 3:55 AM  
Feel more sad than scathing. Especially if this part of that same posting is true, not myth.

"Our editor, Mr. Jan Skricka, has done a very good job with the magazine during the last years, has got health problems. We have for the last weeks had a hope that he would be able to finish issue 2/07, but we have now stopped the work. We hope the Jan will recover soon and will be back in business as soon as possible."

If this proves to be myth, well then I'll return to scathe mode.

Show Profile  AndrewT Posted: 18 July 2007, 8:47 AM  
Jamie never had a DNF.

Show Profile  AndrewT Posted: 18 July 2007, 8:48 AM  
Orienteers have allowance to drive around roundabouts anti-clockwise.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 July 2007, 8:51 AM  
Karl's has started his comeback to orienteering because running is the only time he is alowed of the leash.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 18 July 2007, 9:05 AM  
neil is renowned for his biting comebacks

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 July 2007, 10:29 AM  
there was once an orienteer who called himself goo dol dandy

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 July 2007, 3:20 AM  
When I die, my map collection will end up in a replica living room at Canterbury Museum.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 July 2007, 8:17 AM  
"..the contours are the only feature on the map that are 100% accurate as they are mapped (almost always) from areal photography whilst the granite and other features are purely a mapper’s interpretation."

Might be in Australia where the writer of this lives and the trees are sparser; or in countries where a lot of the forest is deciduous. But quite a high proportion of NZ maps are made with no or with a dodgy basemap, usually because there are no suitable photos.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 July 2007, 2:35 AM  
??

focusign on contours is generally a good golden rule though aye Michael, especially in a lot of our terrain, ie santoft, woodhill, gully spur forest where the other main features are vegetation and tracks, sometimes water features, which change over time

Areas where we have rock features, eg middlemarch, maraetotara, huriwai are often on open land and hence do have very good photogrammetry producing accurate contours.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz