Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

2008 Super Series

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 6 May 2007, 2:17 PM  
Any idea of events for SS 2008?

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 8 May 2007, 2:58 PM  
Just a first outline of a possible programme:
Auckland Champs (a bit early and close to Oceania?)
Wellington/CD Champs (Hawkes Bay)
South Island Champs (Nelson)
Waitangi several days
Nationals
South Island Champs
6 rounds at most of the biggest events
What do you think, how should/could we make SS better next season?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 May 2007, 3:42 PM  
Compress

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 8 May 2007, 4:16 PM  
how about having one of the rounds at the nz secondary schools?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 May 2007, 4:34 PM  
nzss in 2007 or 2008?
that would extend the competition even further

Show Profile  RikiCambridge Posted: 8 May 2007, 5:03 PM  
I think it would be great in helping to bring back some of the many who just turn out the one time a year. After watching the likes of Neil running around we would be fighting them off.

Show Profile  James Posted: 8 May 2007, 11:53 PM  
I think that possible programme looks really good There are a variety of competitions in many different places (instead of always going to Woodhill). Also this programme has a few weeks between each round, which allows lots of time to improve fitness etc.. from the previous round. But then theres the large gap over December/January which i believe makes the series lose momentum.......but then thats just the never ending season debate! Although, the proposed programme is kinda split into halves, with each half having one round a month, which seems to work quite nicely. However, Greg suggests compressing the season....The only way i can see to do that and still have big events would be to use the Auckland sprint champs (13th oct + another race on the 14th? but there currently isn't one scheduled and it wouldn't be as good as Auckland area champs) instead of 'Auckland area champs' and to use Otago Champs instead of SI champs next year...
but personally id prefer the possible programme already offered.

As for making the SS better, obviously it needs to be supported in terms of numbers. As for why last seasons SS had a relatively poor turnout, im unsure? I thought our elites wanted a top class competitive series? But when we get one, only a few hardened soles actually attend the majority of events.

One thing about the last series that could be improved was announcing which events would be apart of it. So releasing the programme with plenty of time would be beneficial. Coinsiding with that, applying for funding in plenty of time may intice a few more elites?? (although that didnt seem to work last series i.e. Otago Champs).

Another thing that could be improved is the advertising/promotion of the events/results. Keeping the SS website as up to date as possible (i can recall trying to get excited about where i stood in the placings last series, but whenever i looked at the website, the news wasnt updated, so it made me not care so much). We, as elites can also help promote the series to eachother, just by doing the usual schmack talk, and rarking eachother up about it and encouraging eachother to attend! Even if you arent in top form/ not the best elite in NZ, everyone can contribute to the teams competition! (maybe this needs to become of greater importance i.e. have a trophy for it??) Also just a bit more media coverage of the series (not neccessarily on TV, or the front page of Womens Day, but just within the o-ing community. I know Michael Wood has been trying to help do this in Wellington, but is not getting any assistance from the elites in the area/team, myself included!)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 May 2007, 5:14 AM  
I think those events look great.

Could possibly cut out the second si champs...lets try ending it at nationals, see if it works better ending the series at our premier event with big fields...this years final was an anticlimax/joke with small turnouts and low key events for the final. Nationals should be the climax of our domestic season. WOC trials/WOC/pinestar selection are more than enough motivation for those continuing on into the international season

Sure that might mean there is only one event in the SI, but lets face it most orienteers are in the north and its as cheap for someone living in chch to get to akld/well as it is for any nier from out of those areas to get there.

The real ridiculous expenses come when we have events way down south where I used to come from. In the absence of elites in these areas they should only be used when there is a major carnival or nationals.

They key thing is a decision is made quickly....and yeah the more I think about it 5 events makes sense...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 May 2007, 5:51 AM  
View from the spectator control (when not from the back of the field):

I seem to remember part of the original SS "framework" was starting no earlier than Labour Weekend, and ending no later than Queen's Birthday, (and most people with a strong opinion on that matter say ideally it should be shorter if the available events allow). So if that guideline is applied, then yes Auckland champs are too early.

In my opinion the biggest problem affecting attendance this year was that both South Island rounds were on normal (ie 2 day) weekends and locations that were (or perhaps just percieved to be, in Otago's case) isolated from main centres. And exacerbated by the Waikaia round not being confirmed as a round until it was too late for a lot of NIers to find affordable fares. Looking at Carsten's proposals, again both I assume are on 2 day weekends, but should both be more accessable (I believe the '08 SI champs are hosted by PAPO, though I s'pose that's not nec close to CHCH). Especially as we're talking about this this soon should mean events are concerned early.

So if the AK champs are dropped and both SI events retained, we have 2 spring rounds and 3 summer/autumn rounds - similar balance to previous years, BUT Central and SI have 2 "home" rounds and Northern 1. Though the northern round would probably have the most races (maybe twice any other round). And we all know the SS is really a competition between Storm and Magic, with nutty northerners or whatever they're called just making up the numbers ;-) anyway. If we drop one of the SI rounds then everyone has one "home" + nationals, which feels kind of fair, but also feels at least one round short of a decent series.

The only other suggestions for boosting attendence are pipe dreams out of our (at least my) control: getting some serious prizes on offer would be nice, and hopefully there won't be too many years where 5 of our top athletes all have too much going on in their non-orienteering lives (remember some people do have those!) to get to enough races to influence results!

This message was edited by onemanfanclub on 9 May 2007, 12:54 PM

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 May 2007, 5:59 AM  
Sorry, one more point...

As far as raising profile goes, if the NZOF ever finds a media officer, I'd suggest that one thig they could do is work with the HP director in keeping SS news up to date and getting it "out there". Maintaining the SS website probably shouldn't be the HP director's biggest priority, but it would be nice to see it regularly up to date...

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 9 May 2007, 6:31 AM  
Waitangi weekend, the Northern "Home Round" is, as you know, organised by alot of northern team members (and others), meaning that they can't race in one or more of the races and thus don't get the points to be competitive in the series.

With the Auckland OY series, a setter/controller is awarded the equivalent of their top points score. Would something like that work with the superseries? Just an idea, interested in hearing discussion.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 May 2007, 7:55 AM  
I think the superseries website is too obscure for media coverage.

Wouldn't it be great to see the news back on maptalk, then also sportzhub...

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 9 May 2007, 8:04 AM  
maybe not putting the nzss in the superseries is ok, but it could be a model event for kids to see what happens at superseries events. i remember one nzss where i was out there and mark lawson came storming past me, i was like, whoa that guys the man. its encouraging to see how good some people are, it gives you an insight to the path you need to take.

maybe involving elites in transport to nzss and coaching and things like that would be cool, like assigning elites to schools that have students entered in the event. i guess the nzss needs to have more spectator controls or something to get it more like a proper a grade event, rather just being like an oy.

i remember back in the day nzss was at the end of the easter hols... well if the final superseries was then that would be wicked, or if 08s nzss was moved back to the end of th easter hols it would fit in nice. that would also get rid of the clash with jwoc

This message was edited by SimonB on 9 May 2007, 3:06 PM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 9 May 2007, 10:32 AM  
I think we need to look at the purpose of the SS "provide more competition within New Zealand". The current format of some rounds based around Labour weekend, then a few scattered from Feb through to Queens B'day does not do it, because people are at different stages in certain plans and a series spread across a large time-frame limits what level can be maintained.

A compressed "season" from about Feb to Nationals would be my perceived ideal. This places the events just before NZ's major prize and also allows athletes that are aiming/going to WOC to have a off and build-up period (re-conditioning some might call it). With a smaller number of rounds meaning you have to perform at all to do well. With fewer rounds it also cuts down some cost issues as it seems it is getting harder and harder to get funding.

The problem is there is a lack of events big/good enough in that period (or currently advertised). Which brings you back to the problem of trying to have a "season" (HCS as proposed) based on Elites(plus the majority south of the Bombays) wanting it with Aucklanders (plus some others) wanting their winter/all year idea kept in place. Meaning, trying to plan a series based on what is currently advertised is a nightmare.

Show Profile  James Posted: 10 May 2007, 8:53 AM  
I may be wrong, but dont a few big orienteering nations kinda have their national season split into two? e.g. a series of events in the spring, then theres a lull over the height of summer when a few big international races take place. Then they have another series over events during autumn which culminates with their national champs?

Well to me the proposed plan looks very similar to this. If it works overseas, perhaps this could work well here? (with the exception of us having big international races over summer!)

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 10 May 2007, 1:07 PM  
well we had that nsw 5days this year which was cool

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz