maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Horse-O

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 2 May 2007, 12:21 PM  
A new dicipline in orienteering was recently introduced in Denmark. The DOF website described it as the world's first orienteering event on horseback and that it was a great success. 28 horses and riders took part in the event. Control stakes were 1.5 m high and Icelandic horses were used so punching could be done without getting off the horse.
It will be interesting to see which NZ club will be the first to have a horse-O event.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 2 May 2007, 12:48 PM  
Unless someone else gets in quick it will be Taupo club. There is a Taupo club event on at Whakaipo Bay this Sunday (6th) with a horse course on offer. Laurie Burdett is the organiser.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 2 May 2007, 1:00 PM  
I hear from Jim Lewis that years ago it was done often, so in reality I think Taupo won a few years back.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 May 2007, 2:19 AM  
Horse orienteering, otherwise known as Competitive Mounted Orienteering has been up and running in the US for a while, they've even got a national association (although the sport is only in 7 states). What more they even have a rule book and a website www.nzcmo,org

But it's not the same as foot orienteering, they make use of compass bearings in the control description. eg 180 Degrees FROM a 15 foot fir tree with red ribbon.

Interested to hear more about Taupo's event. Nicola wants me to drive her horse down!

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 3 May 2007, 4:17 AM  
Try looking on maptalk events Martin?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 3 May 2007, 6:39 AM  
burn

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 May 2007, 8:35 AM  
Been there done that already Neil. Thought someone reading maptalk might know more

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 3 May 2007, 8:50 AM  
Quit horsing around

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 3 May 2007, 9:06 AM  
A horse walked into a bar.
The barman said "Why the long face".

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 May 2007, 9:23 AM  
That's flogging a dead horse

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 4 May 2007, 1:08 PM  
Then there was the horse trainer who told riders that the hardest part about learning to ride was the ground.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz