maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Winter Classic 2007

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 2 May 2007, 1:17 AM  
The Wairarapa club is holding the 18th annual Winter Classic on 1st July 2007 incorporating the Wayne Cretney memorial.

The Winter Classic is an endurance event that is both physically and mentally demanding. The event will be as a BLODSLITET event; it is like a relay except you do all the legs yourself! There are six trophies for various grades, including the handsome ‘Wayne Cretney Memorial’ cup. You are free to compete on any course and survive a Winter Classic!

The map will be a new map: ‘Hapua Wetlands’, 1:10 000, 5m contours, farmland with extensive areas of open bush including a unique wetland area of marshes, lakes and swamps. Spectacular views. Gully spur / slump terrain, moderate to steep.

Links to more details:

http://www.maptalk.co.nz/events/event.cfm?e=1494

http://www.autogprs.com/trusthouse.co.nz/sport/orienteering/next-event.htm

You have to pre-enter unless you want to enter the orange and yellow on-the-day courses.

Enter and enjoy!

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 18 June 2007, 2:49 AM  
Planning is going well for the event.

Only one week to go before closing date - so get entries in by the 25th June!

Approximate distances:
Course 1: 13.8 km
Course 2: 10.6 km
Course 3: 8.0 km
Orange: 3.5km
Yellow: 2.5km

Spectacular views, interesting and unusual terrain with some
interesting controls!

Because of little rain and little grass, area is park-like in places
- very fast farmland and lovely open bush. This is why distances are a little longer than usual.

Don't miss it!

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 18 June 2007, 6:52 AM  
wheres the wairarapa club? is that red kiwis?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 June 2007, 6:53 AM  
For an orienteer you are a shocker bloomberg.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 18 June 2007, 7:01 AM  
whatever im the man

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 June 2007, 10:00 AM  
The man?

Show Profile  Wairarapa Posted: 24 June 2007, 12:47 PM  
Just a reminder to last years winners - please get your trophies back.
We hope you enter again but if not can you get someone else to bring them.
Winners last year were Bryn Davies(M21), Malcolm Ingham (M40),Russell Higham (M50), Piret Klade (W21), Liz Nicholson (W40), Rachel Goodwin (Junior)

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 3 July 2007, 11:48 PM  
Everyone enjoyed the event and the area which was held in fine conditions - it was almost like a hole in the weather as everywhere else it was raining.

Results can be viewed at:
http://autogprs.com/trusthouse.co.nz/sport/orienteering/latest-results.htm

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 4 July 2007, 3:27 AM  
Yep, Great event on a great area, with mapping and courses to match.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 July 2007, 8:23 AM  
Three surprises. 1, the kind weather - hope they get rain there sometimes to keep the farm viable:-)) 2, the terrain - so much better than the Taueru map just next door. 3, that the mapping was done without photogrammetry (presumably from the 20m topo contours). That's a challenge on steep country, but on the lumpy area with random marshes and lakes, it's really really difficult. Like to post some details on the mapping thread Bryan?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 6 July 2007, 6:49 AM  
Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I'm on holiday to Europe for the next 5 weeks and I'm currently in Bangkok.

However, I was thinking of creating a small magazine article along the lines of 'How to make a map without photogrammetry' - I kept all versions of the map as I created it for this purpose.

Would you be interested in something like this, Mick?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 July 2007, 9:03 AM  
When I first started my Farm Mapping business I included hand drawn contours and other handy topographical features which could be of use as land information. Many of these maps were hundreds of hectares in size, and ended up looking similar to orienteering maps but with fences and area information etc more dominant than the topography. These required a lot of challenging work, but it was possible methodically and patiently, to get really good results.
Basically all I started with was an aerial photo (and on steep country you can get these ortho corrected to remove distortion) and boundary and size information from LINZ (or nz map software like TUMONZ), you then overlay the basic 20m contours (from Topo maps or whatever you can find) in place as a rough guide to give you some height/slope info to work from, decide what conour interval you need, ie add 4 between your 20m guide to get 5m contours, and start mapping .... It's best to start with an overall general shape to get the contours flowing through the map in the correct general possition first, and then you start fine tuning always keeping in mind the bigger picture and seeing your imaginary contour level that you are drawing. Sometimes you can actually see the form of the land on the photos, it not always hard and can be quite rewarding. It does of course get much more difficult as soon as you go into bush where your stratedgy has to include a lot of pacecounting or some other form of measuring your grid pattern disections you will need to do if you can't make a complex area fit. (GPS could be good)

Be warned, this can be awesome Orienteering training.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 7 July 2007, 2:52 AM  
sounds good Bryan, could lead onto further articles too as per Paul..I'll be in touch - but JWOC calls as of 11-30 tomorrow

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz