maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Katoa Po Revamped

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 April 2007, 1:29 PM  
Recently Taupo President Lance Eccles announced that they are looking at doing some changes to Katoa Po. They are seeking some feedback from competitors as to how to improve the event structure.

Next year it is looking likely that Katoa Po (along with CD Champs) will be run as part of a Waitangi 5-day [more to come]. Thus we will hopefully be using SI for Katoa Po.

Please post some suggestions here that you have for the event and get some positive debate occuring!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 April 2007, 1:31 PM  
One thing I been thinking was that the current system of a 15minute penalty for a mis punch should be changed.

At present teams can mispunch on a later course and not really be that punished. A 15 minute penalty on a course that is won in 15 minutes is a lot different to a 15 minute penalty that is on a course that is won in 60 minutes.

How about the penalty being equal to the fastest legitimate time on the course in which the penalty takes place?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 April 2007, 2:18 PM  
The idea behind the mispunch rule is to retain interest for those teams that would normally be disqualified. A penalty of the fastest legit time would put teams well out the back door.

My personal view is that a percentage of the estimated winning time for that leg would be a more consistent way of administering a time penalty, as it is deterministic and is relative to the leg. This would also be easier to implement as the organisers can do the calculations before the event. From experience I know we need to be prepared earlier, last minute stuff is hard work.

One thing I would like looked at is the class combinations (leg 2 in particular)
How about leg 2 restricting W19-20A? and what would happen if super vets were allowed on leg 1?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 16 April 2007, 2:31 PM  
I dont believe it should be a percentage of the EWT but a percentage of the fastest time on the leg as the two could be quite different and the second is more relevant on the day.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 April 2007, 2:34 PM  
Dunno how people would feel about this...

In the past few years the number of 7 man teams has steadily declined and been replaced by 5 man teams.

How about an annual super series 3 man relay for elites, with at least one female on any leg. Retain the 5 man relay. The superseries round would incorporate the event on Saturday and Sunday?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 April 2007, 3:02 PM  
having KP on a superseries weekend would increase the elite numbers and may enable more clubs to field 7 person teams

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 April 2007, 3:10 PM  
Why should a cheating team still have a chance of winning?? Its not hard to check codes!

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 16 April 2007, 3:23 PM  
I've not been in the sport for as long as some but surely the 7 person Owl Trophy has too much history to get written off. Looking at the Taupo web page, aside from an egregious error showing Simon's Smashers as belonging to CMOC, it shows the event going back to 1981, which is before you were even a twinkle in your father's eye Simon.

It suffered this year from its proximity to the Waitangi carnival, and I reckon it would be fantastic to incorporate it next year.

It's one of the few chances for a club to actually treasure their elite orienteers, so I think the 3-person elite night relay, while a good idea, is a very poor substitute for KP and would do the elite orienteering community no favours.

Incorporating KP into Waitangi will potentially bring SI clubs into the mix, along with their elite runners, who basically are the limiting factor for 7 person teams.

The current format is a great way to connect the talented youngsters in a club with their elite role models as part of the SAME TEAM. That's very different from watching the elites racing for themselves.

For me, Katoa Po epitomises what being a member of a club is all about.

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 16 April 2007, 3:30 PM  
as well as the actual format of the orienteering i think that the relays would benefit from more of an exciting atmosphere. A little music, a little live commentary and a defined event centre would perhaps make it more of an "event" than just another night relay. granted festivities need to be in moderation, with consideration of young children or anyone else who wanted to sleep.
simons 5 man idea would also make the relays shorter, so more people would stay up to watch their teams battle it out over the last leg.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 16 April 2007, 4:05 PM  
I have to agree with Jeff, that it would be a real shame to see the club side of Katoa Po disappear, or even be diminished. As far as I'm concerned, it is a great club outing, and it has the potential to involve all club members equally, which not even National Relays can do.

I think incorporating the Night Relays into Waitangi Weekend would be a wicked thing to do. And I think having it during a SuperSeries round is also a great idea. Perhaps even if there were just SuperSeries events before and after the actual Relay it would still entice more elites and more runners in general to compete, without the need for KP to actually be a SuperSeries race in itself. On the other hand, perhaps there is potential for it to be some sort of SuperSeries race, but without taking the emphasis of the club side of the competition... Ideas?

Event atmosphere is very important too, I think, and music, commentary and a really good event centre with spectator controls and shelter etc. would make for a great event. In fact, I think this is the way our big events in general are heading, and I think it really adds to events, as well as making them more attractive and marketable to new/potential orienteers

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 April 2007, 4:18 PM  
Martin mentioned the class restrictions, anyone else got any word on these?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 16 April 2007, 4:29 PM  
what do people think about gaffling on some of the legs? not all, just some, maybe 4,5,7. with sportident it makes that sort of stuff alot easier.

what's that proximity rule again?

adding the waitangi flavour to KP will bring the commentary and additional atmosphere, and additional volunteers, whilst still leaving the event as Taupo's iconic orienteering race

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 16 April 2007, 4:47 PM  
You want entertainment, here's entertainment:

Swanson is bringing a car battery next year to power his air-cooled 100W searchlight. If he stops running for more than 5 seconds his head will spontaneously burst into flame.

Have it on the last night of the carnival, to a) get people out of their accommodation in town and camping at the event centre, b) have all the WRE's and superseries events out of the way so everyone is more relaxed, and c) to give the Swansons and Cory-Wrights more opportunity to read the programme so they can actually find where the event is.

One minute penalty for every team member not crossing the finish line with the leg 5 or 7 runner.

Next year's event will coincide with my daughter's fifth birthday so we may need a bouncy castle as well as that finish line sausage thingy.

Leg 0 which is a 200 m string course for M/W8.

Agree with Kate about live commentary. I thought Mick Finn was the last word in race commentary, but Simon Addison was quite outstanding at Waitangi this year.

Have a Micr-O for legs 6 and 7 or at least some extra controls in the forest for Counties Manukau to punch.

With SI have the elite runners run back and forwards between two spectator pivot controls half a dozen times or so before their final loop, so everyone can cheer them on.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 April 2007, 5:07 PM  
A fantastic idea to incorp KP in Waitangi. Should help both prosper.

Something with all relays I would like to see is an instantly updated display of placings, all the way down. An annnouncer can only keep up with the top teams, and everyone wants to know "where are we?" Doesn't need technology - all it takes is team numbering, a person watching the changeovers, and a blackboard.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 17 April 2007, 8:33 AM  
Love the concept and associated tweaks - I'll be there for sure - put on a nude night-o and you'll get lots of Australians over, and of course, the Scandis. How about 15 point bonus for running a nude leg...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 April 2007, 8:52 AM  
Did you see the thistles this year? thats got to be worth at least 20 mins nude

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz