maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Potential Orienteering Map database.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 28 April 2010, 3:34 PM  
Sorry should have said. Have marked it on the map.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 29 April 2010, 5:59 AM  
Was in the South Island for a holiday before Easter - I was disappointed not making it to the Nationals but it didn't work out.

Anyway came accross a few potential maps.

Queenstown Gardens - already marked but should be earmarked for a sprint map as it was lovely.

Queenstown Gondala pines - maybe a bit steep but I've run/walked the tracks near the gondala and some pines are open.

Lake Te Anau gardens - lovely park area good for a sprint - maybe include some farmland as well

Boyd Creek - on Milford Sound Road - from road open native bush are did not appear too steep.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 29 April 2010, 9:52 AM  
Lake Te Anau gardens - I think you are referring to Ivon Wilson Park.
It was mapped many years ago (1986) by Helen and Alan Carman as a black & white map and used for a few years, later in conjunction with a colour map near Manapouri, mapped by Paul Horner and Darren Scott for a scout jamboree in 1996. We haven't updated the maps because we don't get enough people coming to events so far away.

Show Profile  Southernman Posted: 29 April 2010, 12:46 PM  
Queenstown Gardens- I was the one who marked this a few years ago, only real problem was it was so small. You could also include central Queenstown and the mall but the volume of people going through there makes it quite hard.

Lake Te Anau gardens - It is Ivan Wilson Park, Southland Cross School Cross Country champs are held there every year and it is a very nice to run around

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 June 2011, 6:49 AM  
Been thinking about maps lately.. well, more than normal anyway.
With google earth gradually getting better coverage some new stuff can be spotted around the place. I've added some that took my fancy. Between Hamilton and Counties Manakau near Glen Murray, three areas in particular look awesome. Limestone and bush like Huriwai but possibly even better?
I also marked Stoney Batter on Waiheke which was not your usual kiwi terrain but i liked it when visiting some years ago.
A Taupo area that i can't get out of my head lays south of the very cool Waihora map. It looks better and larger to me. Oh one day....?
And lastly the new photos also show that some of the Poronui Station map has been felled "loud cry" but not all of it!
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/maps/potential.cfm

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 June 2011, 7:14 AM  
That area in the Huriwai vicinity looks awesome, fast farmland map centred on that crazy slump depression thing...

I can't believe this little tool isn't used more it is one of the sure signs of a budding orienteering geek when they start judging terrain they travel through for suitability for orienteering.

Thanks for bringing it back out of the woodwork Paul

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 June 2011, 12:26 PM  
Strange... just checked the map again and the three awesome bits i found near Glen Murray have not been saved on the map, I repeated the excercise and again it won't save. Jamie if you liked the rocks way south of Huriwai then I'm sure you would get very excited about these other areas.
They are however saved in the potential site if you click on the 'view in google earth' link... on my comp anyway.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 June 2011, 7:36 AM  
Also on the new google earth imagery, Fairfield College in Hamilton looks like it could be a good sprint venue, with a couple of places competitors could get really cocked up. My apologies for being a bit of a dick if it has already been mapped.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 June 2011, 7:38 AM  
but slightly more seriously... has Red Kiwis ever looked at Linton Camp for a sprint venue? Guess there would probably be access issues (any ideas Jason?) but looks like it could be fun if we were allowed to go play there.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 12 June 2011, 1:41 PM  
Hi All,

A plea from the Nelson Orienteering Club. We need a map. We are trying to find some locations which sounds a bit funny when you look at how much forest is in the Nelson area. But the problem is most of it is too steep or has too much gorse under it or has very thick impregnable vegetation in the gullys. So I've labelled a few sites in the database but anyone planning a holiday in Nelson over the next 3 to 6 months if they want to have a run and test drive a site then please email me to check out a site for us. Thanks!!!

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 12 June 2011, 2:37 PM  
I saw that area on a plane flight home to Auckland one day. Looks very cool indeed. Isolated perhaps? Which club would be closest?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 June 2011, 4:11 PM  
Hey Paul,

yeah I think that is the one I was talking about accessed off Waimai valley rd...those blocks of pine might be alright too, might even have some rock in there....and its in your block of the woods ;-)

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 14 June 2011, 4:13 AM  
WAIMAI:
Yeah thats one of four spots that have taken my eye, and the pine areas if whit are why I thought it might make a nice map. Much of the area is still fairly steep although good course setting can help that. Access also from Waikorea end, it's a large area.
The others (since it won't save the markers) which probably have more potential because they aren't as steep and are closer to civilisation are...
WAIRAMARAMA: (West of Glen Murray) Large area based around a huge gorge of Limestone rock with many smaller finger valleys coming off, which in turn are riddled with lots of smaller reentrants There are some patches of bush and teatree plus scattered trees.
TANGAPEKA STREAM: (West of Glen Murray) Off the Waikaretu - Wairamarama Rd just north of Bothwell Rd. Potentially another very large area. Not as hilly or as dramatic as the others but might actually be better. Same deal.. a mix of limestone gorges, streams, many scattered and small groups of native trees, and there looks also to be some much flatter paddocks to the SE with scattered rock detail.
NAIKE: (so this is where the shoes were invented!)Area just NE up to the Awaroa Stream. This one is a bit different to the others, less limestone but more teatree, would only be good it the teatree was high enough to run under, if you can it looke good to me.
Closest clubs are Counties Manakau or Hamilton, so get mapping Simon A.

This message was edited by Paul I on 14 June 2011, 11:18 AM

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 14 June 2011, 4:35 AM  
While I'm at it my other awesome maps i would make in some of my spare time if i won lotto would be...
*Amazing Dolomite sinkhole Limestone terrain near Waitomo Caves either side of Hauturu Rd. You can't really see the rock on google earth because it is small, but it's there and there's lots of it, plus grazed bush.
* Waihora, I thought if I repeated this enough, I d annoysomeone enough they'd get it mapped just to shut me up. I think it's easily National material and woud make the oringinal Waihora map look like a boring entre.
* Poronui Station before it all gets cut down, plus the trout fishing would be a bonus.
* and lastly for now we really need some keen orienteers move to Dargaville. That Pouto penninsula is so wasted don't you think?
Looking at google and the topo maps it looks like there could be some very nice open forest west of Rototuna down by the line of dune lakes. Also NW of Rototuna large areas of pines are planted on ex farmland so should/might be very clean underfoot. Who would know.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 June 2011, 8:22 AM  
Appologies to anyone who is sick of this but i just want to add a couple which are related incase someone goes scouting around the Glen Murray area.
BRIEN RD: (Just west of Wairamarama and also north)
****and possibly more exciting... it looks like there is a Pine forest on first time plantation (ex farmland)of several Sqkm between Klondyke and Ponganui Rds, jutting onto the east side of the trees shown on topo maps. Looks promissing to me anyhow, with rocks, streams, Native bush and Pines.

Google must have heard this and now the area at Waitomo has new photo coverage and you can see all the thousands of rocks

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz