maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Is Orienteering boring?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 November 2006, 3:44 AM  
The why should standard orienteers progress to Rogaines or MTBO Michael?

Yet you still try to get them to?

Show Profile  mark Posted: 24 November 2006, 4:34 AM  
I don't think that is true Greg.

I think Michael mostly tries to encourage new people into rogaines and MTBO, rather than expecting foot orienteers to participate.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 November 2006, 6:39 AM  
Here's another contribution, pasted in from the OT website www.orienteeringtoday.com:

"And so therefore I have so many passions outside of orienteering. If I were to just orienteer I would be bored with the sport within about 3 months as I don't feel there are enough new challenges presented to me in it... So by being here in xxxxx where there is very little orienteering I can focus on my running (eg. Am now trying to move into marathons) and also other sports such as kayaking, cycling, mountain biking, multisports etc. Then, at the beginning of the orienteering season I focus back into what I have to do and my orienteering goals. It’s perfect because I believe all these other interests make me tougher, faster and fitter than I would be if I just orienteered. And then when the season starts I am really motivated to orienteer again. I focus 100% on my technical skills and voila! I am orienteering at a new level!"

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 26 November 2006, 7:50 AM  
Which just shows we need a season ...

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 26 November 2006, 9:38 AM  
The superseries is meant to address the season issue for elites. Although it's a little bit long season if you're tyring to peak for the whole of it but at around 6 months it's similar to sports like rugby or cricket. When there are no summer events here in NZ it does mean our superseries season has a bit of gap though.

As far as I can gather 95% of all non-elite orienteers don't want a season and they're not interested in focussing 100% on orienteering at any time even if it is a short season.

Show Profile  bendover Posted: 29 November 2006, 6:28 PM  
orienteering? boring? not if you're in australia...

http://www.lime.com/tv/mind_body__soul/video/6251/orienteering_the_sport_heard_around_the_world

now go find that hidden treasure!!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 30 November 2006, 2:32 AM  
after viewing that video, the answer to the question posed in the thread title is yes.

PS pretty sure that was charlotte marra about 1 min into the vid.

Show Profile  James Posted: 30 November 2006, 3:44 AM  
worst thing is, judging by those in the video (ilka, AJ, jasmine etc...) the video was made relatively recently............
is this how we try and market orienteering in the 21st century??
no wonder all my friends hassle me for spending so much time doing something that doesnt even classify as a sport!!
And those that believe its worthy of the 'sport' title, consider it such a 'geek' sport, without much competition!

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 30 November 2006, 3:49 AM  
Who you calling a Geek fool. Maybe we are nerds but calling our "sport" "geeky" is an insult of the highest degree.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 November 2006, 5:24 AM  
I saw this video about a year ago and it wasn't new then.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 November 2006, 6:26 AM  
With Sofie, Jasmine and AJ as they look, it cant be much over a year old Simon

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 November 2006, 7:55 AM  
Perhaps we should ask Neil. Are they old enough? oo oooo

Show Profile  James Posted: 30 November 2006, 8:42 AM  
Ellmo, if i called you black, would you be offended?
probably not, because your a white man..............

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 November 2006, 8:53 AM  
Fuckup James.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 30 November 2006, 9:01 AM  
Bro I am black.

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz