maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Check this out

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 26 October 2006, 5:23 AM  
http://news.worldofo.com/2006/10/25/worldofo-geo-ready-for-betatesting/

sounds and looks like an awesome idea

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 October 2006, 8:32 AM  
Interesting to see that the maps are from national map registers.

Do we need, should we have, something like this in NZ??

I have long thought NZOF should have something to do with producing and maintaining quality maps...any thoughts?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 27 October 2006, 8:54 AM  
I strongly believe we should have some sort of online national map register. Too often there are smaller clubs that have a map not available for use for a while (felling or something) and then quite often the key people move and the map is forgotten about.

"I have long thought NZOF should have something to do with producing and maintaining quality maps...any thoughts?".

Not exactly sure if they should have any part to play with producing and maintaining quality maps. However they should play a part in terms of managing these maps quality after they have been made and used. By this I mean that any protests or complaints about a map could be registered online so that future controllers of events on these maps know of previous issues and can then correct them. How often is there something wrong with a map that we all notice, then we go to use the map 1 or 2 years down the track and its still wrong with it?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 October 2006, 5:21 AM  
With the exception of the World Cup and the World Masters maps, it is clubs that make maps, and it goes without saying that they should keep lists of maps both active and inactive (for possible reactivation).

When suggesting that there should be a national register (with effort to set up and maintain) we should list the possible reasons. So far it has been:
1. Clubs are incapable of keeping their own lists
2. A basis for an online criticism system

Needs a few more to be worth it. Among the non-trivial setup issues is "what is a map"? We're moving to "mapped areas" from which "a map" is extracted event by event. Is "Wiggles" a map or is "Woodhill Forest" a map?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 October 2006, 11:26 AM  
I think a mapped area is a map

Reasons for national map register ...anyone know why lots of the big orienteering countries overseas have one?

Are there opportunities missed in NZ because of the fact that only clubs make maps? Is this the best strategic approach to have for our sport?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 October 2006, 3:34 PM  
Most countries, esp scandi dont have the whole private land issue, that is one reason why it would be good over there.

Where do the clubs not make the maps Jamie? Thats what a club should do, make money to produce a map for orienteering and repeat (note order) I cant see how/why having the NZOF would be benifical

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz