maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Events Database

Show Profile  PaulTS Posted: 1 May 2007, 10:50 AM  
Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with Maptalk or the discussions on it! I was just pondering on why there was patchy uptake on uptake of the events database. For me, having the events portalled (is that a word?) via NZOF would do, or a separate www.mapevents.co.nz reciprocally linked to maptalk might also do the trick.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 11:08 AM  
Logistically it cannot be on the NZOF website. This has already been stated numerous times in the past, basically due to hosting technicalities. This is why it was setup on maptalk.

What is the difference between mapevents.co.nz and maptalk.co.nz/events ??

It must be noted that 90% of clubs have an input onto the events database. I think the only clubs at this stage that are not putting all their events on are Marlborough, Taranaki and Hutt Valley. Hutt Valley is putting some of their mtbo and rogaine events on, but this is only because Michael Wood is the rogaine and mtbo convenor and does it as he has linked to that page from his rogaine and mtbo websites.

Marlboroughs main issue is probably getting the word down to someone who actually would put them on. They don't really have anyone who probably reads maptalk, let alone competes at a competitive level for normal foot orienteering. Please correct me if I am wrong with this. But in lots of clubs over 50% of the orienteers are just locals who dont give a damn about the bigger picture.

The events listings were made to achieve a few goals:
1/ To make it easier for clubs to have an event listing which will automatically take away old events when the time arises.
2/ To make it easy for club committee members to readily access their events and make edits etc.
3/ To make club members aware that there is a "bigger picture".
4/ To make it easier for competitors travelling away to look up events when they are on holiday or work etc.
5/ To give orienteering a more professional appeal.
6/ To make it easier for international competitors to find events in NZ rather than having to find some pretty weird club websites that in a lot of cases didnt even have the upcoming events
7/ To give a guideline to clubs as to what details they should have with their events. Many clubs only had the date and which map. If you are new to the sport is that sufficient - I didn't think so.

There is even more reasons that I will not delve into. Basically everything that it was setup to do it has done. It now has almost every club in the country using it. It now has heaps of people using it to find events around the country. Information in most cases is thorough. As more clubs and more people outside of clubs use it, and given some investment in development it will continue to become even more functional. Functionality is the priority as is ease of use. I believe both have been achieved and will continue to be achieved.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 May 2007, 11:20 AM  
the difference between mapevents.co.nz and maptalk.co.nz/events is roughly $15-20 per year

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 11:35 AM  
... ever heard of rhetorical question.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 May 2007, 11:36 AM  
I think you'll find its more like $15-20 a month. Not all cheap hosts support all languages etc

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 11:51 AM  
Nah for a domain name caus thats all you would require its about what martin said, infact slightly more.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 May 2007, 12:42 PM  
I'm not a web geek or anything, but surely you can have an address that feeds from NZ Orienteering that Ruffneck Productions can control. Who cares if it costs $15-20 a month...let alone a year. What I was trying to say before is that I agree with Paul that maptalk discussions is bad image for those people looking for events. But I don't think we should ask fraser to change maptalk.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 1:05 PM  
I mean come on it doesnt need a new domain. Its not like its www.maptalk.co.nz/orienteering/member_sites/events/upcoming/display_all.cfm now is it?

its just www.maptalk.co.nz/events

not the most difficult thing in the world, considering its called "maptalk events".

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 1 May 2007, 1:59 PM  
i guess the only reason its slightly slow is that fraser is not active in the community? i dont really know the truth behind that statement... but i guess also people aren't contacting him with images that he can put on the main page advertising their events.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 May 2007, 2:46 PM  
I think 90% is a remarable uptake in a year...

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 3:07 PM  
My apologies, Marlborough does have its events on the page!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 3 May 2007, 11:10 AM  
I would quite like some feedback as to how people feel about having "location" instead of "map name" on the short description. The change for this is only at present on a short term trial basis.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 May 2007, 12:31 PM  
"Location" is more meaningful 90% of the time, so long as the exact map (if known) is still on the full listing for each event. So, yeah, good change Simon!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 5 May 2007, 1:51 PM  
Thanks for that nic.

It just means that people have to put in a meaningful location as many clubs just by default put their main centre down even though the event is closer to a small town in the outskirts..

Show Profile  nick Posted: 7 May 2007, 3:39 AM  
I like location - not hard to enter a meaningful description. I think the current practice of some clubs will evolve...

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz