maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Events Database

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 1 May 2007, 5:24 AM  
I fully understand Paul's comments - when I'm talking to interested people about orienteering, it seems that maptalk is the only website I can remember off the top of my head to direct them to, but then I have to say PLEASE ignore the discussion groups (on the grounds they may be off-putting if you don't know the personalities involved) and go straight to the links. However I can also appreciate that it's up to Fraser whether significant structural changes should be made to Maptalk, just because it's been used as a platform for other "projects".

Perhaps there's room for a compromise position - the link to the Maptalk events database on the NZOF site should be THE most prominent thing on the "Coming Events" page, or perhaps even prominent on the home page (and people like me can try to engrave "nzorienteering.com" in the same bit of brain currently occupied by "maptalk.co.nz").

As a lower priority this could get really clever (I'm not tech-savvie enough to know how clever/possible this is) with an automatically updated shortlist of the next few events on the maptalk database appearing with the link at nzorienteering. One of the most prominent things on the OHV site is a "diary" of what's coming up in the next few weeks, but you'd have to ask Michael if that's manually or automatically updated.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 May 2007, 5:27 AM  
Well said Paul. Good comments and I do agree with Micheal that NZ orienteering should be the portal for the NZ orienteering events page. I don't care who hosts it (ie maptalk do a great job). but I agree maptalk discussions shouldn't be the face of NZ orienteering.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 May 2007, 5:45 AM  
Yep, I'd also like to see a link to the maptalk events database on the top of the nzorienteering page (in between whats new and sponsors) along with (as automatically generated links) the next few events listed there.

And as well, a prominent link to maptalk on nzorienteering, and likewise a prominent link back to nzo on maptalk.

Perhaps a third web"zone" where squad news stories (like the ones generated on the CD website for the Waitangi Day weekend) and photos can be blogged on. Could be password protected, NZOF members only.

Or maybe maptalk could be tweaked to host maps and photos.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 May 2007, 5:51 AM  
And before I forget, big thanks to Paul and Fraser and Simon and others I don't know about for the website work over the years...cool

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 5:51 AM  
Looks like some good discussions!

Thanks for the comments Paul, but a frontpage is really up to Fraser because this is his baby.

Had a request from the worldofo guy to put some geo references (google earth) data into the events database and he will automatically extract the data and it will go into the world of o events listings. Would be good for NZ, just got to work out how to do it!

Keep it going...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 May 2007, 6:10 AM  
The "next few events" on the OHV website are manually chosen. It requires judgement as to what is relevant to the audience - OHV members - and could never be automatic. They include non-events on occasion - entry close dates, AGMs, etc.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 6:19 AM  
Could be done via rss feeds automatically Michael which are just being put in. Until then there is no way to automatically do anything from the database onto the html nzorienteering.com

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 1 May 2007, 6:33 AM  
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback on maptalk and apologies if the homepage is looking a bit out of date. I know an update is a bit overdue and Simon has been threatening to take the site over. I have taken note of everyone's suggestions for improvements. Any further feedback is welcome.

Cheers
Fraser

Show Profile  mark Posted: 1 May 2007, 8:47 AM  
fraser sux

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 May 2007, 9:00 AM  
just about the world of o situation...does everyone know that chat on maptalk appears (automatically?) on the world of o site? (that might stop some more dirty washing)

and is it time that was create a real news presence on the net so that partly this can feed into world of o as well (currently we are unrepresented). Is it time for reinstitution of the maptalk news page? Would people contribute?

Interesting to see the orienteering coverage on sportzhub recently...don't know who is behind this.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 May 2007, 9:22 AM  
The Super Series website is represented on the WoO webpage, along with the NZOF page - the website of Orienteering in NZ.

Maptalk is a privately funded forum, and I like it just the way it is.

Jamie was it Liams fault for not labeling the fridge with "contains bbq sauce" or is it your fault for thinking the bbq sauce was beer, opening it and taking a swig?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 1 May 2007, 9:34 AM  
Where else could we go to give each other a good ol bollocking if it weren't for maptalk. Like Borat - keep it real and lighten up. For serious news the NZOF site should be the place for this, just as it is on the Australian site.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 May 2007, 9:50 AM  
I talked to the sportzhub guy at the long distance, not sure how he came to be there but we did put it out to the media in the lead up and had the papers competing for the best coverage

This message was edited by Martin on 1 May 2007, 5:55 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 May 2007, 9:53 AM  
Yip, Maptalk is maptalk. Not NZOF, not World of O. Don't pretend its an official site when its not. Don't sensor the masses. We talk crap here. If someone airs some dirty laundry then this is how we get it clean. If someone uses offensive language and is an idiot...then they make a dick of themselves not anyone else.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 May 2007, 10:25 AM  
I also talked to the sportzhub guy at the long distance, I think it was all down to Clem.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz