Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

2007 World Cups

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 September 2006, 3:33 PM  
http://delaatstepost.blogspot.com/2006/08/world-cup-2007.html

Has anyone else heard of this??

offical pdf here
http://www.orienteering.org/rules/World%20Cup%202007%20Special%20Rules.pdf

It means NZ can only have 1 man in any World Cup race (excluding WOC maybe?), thats only 1 man, no woman.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 1 September 2006, 6:11 PM  
Greg, there's a discussion going on about this at the moment between some runners and the IOF but I don't think it's public.

Rob C. wrote to me yesterday to say that we are ranked 19th (men) & 21st (women) which gives us 2 places in each class respectively. I haven't checked his calculation myself but presume he's right.

....but even with 2 runners it sucks...!

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 2 September 2006, 4:00 AM  
Seems like this will do little for the development of the smaller nations. There is a mention of a wildcard provision in all of the races except WOC Not sure what this means exactly.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 2 September 2006, 4:14 AM  
Think that is something to do with the host nations having at least 2 finalists. If they dont qualify they get a wildcard into the A final. How ass is that when the host nations are Finland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, the top 4 nations anyway who each get 10 runners in each sex

This message was edited by Greg on 2 September 2006, 11:17 AM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 2 September 2006, 4:25 AM  
To me it's not so much that we don't have many runners because of our poor ranking but the fact that it so impractical for us to chase a good ranking. The ranking system is based on the 20 best athletes from a nation.

To put it in perspective, we've had a good last season in terms of events. We held our national quota of world ranking events (3). We sent a reasonable size team to world champs and we sent a primerily different group of athletes to the Austrailain World Ranking event (recent pinestars trip which we won!).

Regardless of the quality of these athletes we just don't have the numbers to score well. Whilst we have 20 men ranked we only have 12 woman. Only 7 men and 5 woman have done 4 events.

If we need 20 athletes ranked and four races count per athlete thats 80 scores we can have per sex. NZ males had 59, 32 out of 80 for the woman. These include juniors and beginners scoring any at world ranking event. Not really a fair reflection on our top elite athletes like Chris, Karl, Darren, Tania, Rachel and Penny.

We are not the only country shafted by these rules. No non european country can sustain a good ranking no matter how good their top 5 athletes are. Just look at Australia and Russia (winners of WOC relay) they are ranked 12th!!

This message was edited by Neil K on 2 September 2006, 4:09 PM

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 2 September 2006, 9:01 AM  
As I undestand it each country will always have minimum of 1 slot for a man and 1 slot for a woman per world cup. It sure makes it hard for smaller countries and not sure if I totally agree with it, but "qualification by wildcard" card has to be the biggest bullshit rule ever.

Surely having a World Cup in home terrain is advantage enough, but now IOF will gaurantee two slots in the A final for the host nation. What is the reasoning behind this and what other sports would even consider doing this?

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz