maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Unique ID

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 1 September 2006, 1:21 AM  
A unique ID has been in use for years in Sweden and Denmark.
Almost the entire public administration uses the ID.
The personal idenntification number consist of 10 digits,
six digits for the persons date of birth,then follows
a serial number of four digits, the last one denoting the sex of the person ( an odd number a male and an even number a female.
For more info go to Google and search for "Civil registration number"

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 1 September 2006, 2:27 AM  
Jenni suggestion for a unique ID has merit and Svend's suggestion on the format is ok as well although I would have the date of birth to be 8 digits not 6 with the century first (eg 19800430).

In my Statistician's report to NZOF I sent today I mentioned the problems with standardisation of results and the possibility of creating a unique id.

here is some of the report:

"An ongoing problem with the entry of results has been standardisation and the way results are published. It is a major exercise to identify the correct name and club sometimes and this impacts on my ability to provide meaningful rankings. A few years ago I produced a document listing the guidelines and standard abbreviations for results but very few organisers use it or even know that it exists. It would be beneficial to review and republish this at some time.

Also, I think that it would be helpful if the NZOF investigate creating a unique identifier for each person which is directly linked to a person’s name and other information like current sportident number. A login could be created on the NZOF web site where people could login and update their details and enter events. This would mean that when people change their nicknames and/or surname I can still directly provide a link between all results in the database. Another possibility is that Orienteers could log on and using their unique identifier have the ability to enter any event in New Zealand quickly. I may be able to provide help in setting this up."

It's not just a unique ID that should be created. The following is required:
- Unique ID
- Date of Birth (derived from unique ID?)
- Sex (derived from unique ID?)
- Current Club
- Current class
- Sportident number
- ability to login and change details like name, sportident number requiring a password and/or security of the database - an orienteer would only be able to access and change their own details but not their unique identifier. An administrator (eg NZOF general manager would be able to access and change all details).
- current address and phone details (privacy concerns?) required if online entry is created for NZOF major events
- the current NZOF membership database in Access would be a good starting point but I would make it retrospective and create unique ids for all NZOF orienteers in the results database so I can link
all results for one person together correctly

Any more suggestions? This will take some time to make.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 September 2006, 2:57 AM  
Life threatening medical conditions (there's about 5 or 6). Granted there are privacy issues to overcome, but hey they're life threatening are should probably be known about - medical information is seldom explicitly asked for.

I know most of our clubs first aid equipment was prehistoric, we've just upgraded and made a list of it if any other clubs are interested.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 September 2006, 10:22 AM  
OHV is at fault for changing its name and not formally advising anyone - I accept 1/120th of the blame. Changing the name required a quorum which was hard to get, so we started using the new name informally. This does not constitute official advice:-))

However this has not caused the problem. Organisations usually maintain a set of CODES for their regions, branches etc, and the current one for OHV as given in the NZOF "Info Requirements" section of the rules, is "HV". I doubt if NZOF will see the need to change it. Organisers when compiling entry and results lists should resist the temptation to add "OC" etc and standardise on this list.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz