maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Pick of the season

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 July 2006, 4:52 AM  
The Academy of the Art of Course Setting would like to announce the winners of the 2005/06 season AACS awards:

The Academy Award for best SPRINT goes to: Massey Albany, Queen's Birthday. Lots of short legs, changes of direction, instant route choice decision making required, all "in the public's face". Academy Secretary Juan Mann-van Klubb comments "I barely had any opportunity to plan any further ahead than the leg I was on, and missed a couple of better route choices as a result - brilliant!"
Other nominees: almost every other sprint the Academy was present at.

The Academy Award for best LONG: Waioneke, Queen's Birthday. A real test. Physically tough, but unlike some other tough races the physical test did not dominate over the navigational challenges. To perform in this race you needed to be at the top of your game physically and mentally - exactly what orienteering is about. And plenty of nice long route choice legs - the Academy dislikes seeing Long races with as many conrols as possible crammed in just because the terrain is technical.
Other nominees: Canaan Downs and Huriwai(AK champs) (simply because of their locations), Kaikokopu (WOA champs)

The Academy Award for best MIDDLE: Rabbit Island (NZ Champs). Juan Mann-van Klubb says "I admit I may have used my casting vote here because I had a really good run, but I think this was a great example of how to use a small, but fast and technical area"
Other nominees: Waiuku (AK champs), Shirley Lakes (Waitangi Super Series)

The Academy Award for best RELAY: was not awarded. There were three nominees but, says Mr Mann-van Klubb, "it was too difficult to choose between a Super Series relay that we could only enjoy as spectators (as good as that was), a NZ champs where we appreciated the novelty of the urban start/finish, but otherwise doesn't stand out, and Katoa Po, which just about deserves it's own category.

Imaginary gold statuettes, resembling somebody's uncle Bob, are now on their way to Greg Flynn, Chris Gelderman, and, um, somebody from Nelson...

DISCLAIMER: the Academy of the Art of Course Setting is in no way an official body recognised by the NZOF/Te Komiti Awhe Ararau Aotearoa or anyone else for that matter. Decisions are final, but correspondence may be entered into, especially if in the form of large checks

This message was edited by onemanfanclub on 30 July 2006, 11:11 AM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 July 2006, 10:10 AM  
Which season are you talking about???

Do I get anything for being nominated 4 times

This message was edited by Greg on 29 July 2006, 6:12 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 July 2006, 10:14 AM  
And would the academy like to wheel out the best MTBO event, or score the rogaines of the season? (Which seems to have been determined as the period ending with WOC in line with the HP Plan:-))

A good candidate for the latter might be E Whakahoki ana Nga Kupu i roto i Nga Puke (23 July see rogaine web-siti o te interniti). As for te Awhe Ararau o te Maunga-Biki, how about Te Tuki o Akatarawa (21 Jan, MTBO/AAOTMB web-siti).

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 July 2006, 10:34 AM  
If you want to try to type in Maori Michael, please do it in a new thread.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 July 2006, 10:35 AM  
On a serious note, I reckon it would be pretty cool if more and more courses were uploaded onto the internet for route drawing and stuff. Then when people refer to a well set event, we can all see it as well!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 29 July 2006, 10:41 AM  
Why? So you can display your limited knowledge of the English language again???

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 29 July 2006, 12:23 PM  
Piha Rogaine for the best rogaine, largest ever in nz, and it has route analysis.

Show Profile  Chris G Posted: 30 July 2006, 7:10 AM  
It is really Andrew Bell, the setter for Waioneke, who deserves the credit. If im to get one Imaginary semblance of uncle Bob, then he should get two!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 31 July 2006, 3:40 AM  
Mea Culpa Andrew (but even though the Academy was aiming to recognise the course setters, controllers like Chris DO deserve some of the credit - better controlling may have raised some of the nominees above into the winning possie)

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 31 July 2006, 9:02 AM  
"If you want to type in Latin onemanfanclub, please do it in a new thread."

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 31 July 2006, 1:33 PM  
The good news for all those lovers of Waioneke is that it will be used for day 2 of the Auckland Champs. We were planning 2 days on the new map White Lightning, but mapping has got behind, and we can only do the one day. We have also decided to leave the double shorto for another time, but with 2 days counting and 80 minute winning times for course 1 you'll get your moneys worth. Rumour has it that Bruce Mcleod is in for a comeback race, so that will add interest to m21e.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 July 2006, 2:00 PM  
And someone said Rob J will be back from Europe

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 31 July 2006, 2:11 PM  
Is Rob J in Europe?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 31 July 2006, 3:19 PM  
at world champs even!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 1 August 2006, 9:02 AM  
PLEASE tell me you were being ironic, Jeff

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 1 August 2006, 9:51 AM  
If you want to type in uppercase onemanfanclub, please do it in a new thread.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz