maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Marquita's road to Glory

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 11 July 2006, 12:09 PM  
Nic - I think you should be careful saying things like "beating Heather Monro..." I know that Yvette used to be irritated after she retired and then people made comments about so and so beating Yvette Baker bla bla. Yes they were beating Yvette Baker, who now didn't train so much/at all/ was pregnant/stopped to help people etc etc not the Yvette Baker/Hague who won many world champs medals. In the end Yvette decided to stop orienteering for a while until she could come back in a way people didn't expect her to still retain her previous form.

I heard Heather was retiring but if she is competing at a world champs then I am sure she is training and, it is of course an achievement to beat her and all the loads of other people Marquita beat. But I don't think it's quite the same as beating Heather in the WOC short distance last year (which only Simone did right?)! And I expect Heather doesn't appreciate people insinuating anything in that direction.

Congratulations, Marquita on what must have been a very good ride/drive. Hope there's an equally good if not better one tomorrow. And Michal too, that must have been a ride you're very satisfied with. Not sure what everyone else's expectations are - the results look pretty good to me. In any case, good luck for rides you feel happy with!

This message was edited by Jenni on 11 July 2006, 7:12 PM

Show Profile  mark Posted: 11 July 2006, 1:34 PM  
what a load of crap you write Jenni

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 11 July 2006, 2:23 PM  
people in glasshouses ...

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 July 2006, 1:50 PM  
Live results from today's long final:

http://www2.suunnistus.info/sf/pirila/showtable?event=MTB_WOC_Long_Di_.2006

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2006, 1:01 PM  
Well done team. Placings of 18-37-41-45-50 compare well with last year's 44-49.

The results came thru progressively and were almost final by midnight NZ time. It's interesting the inverse relationship between fancy-ness of web pages and speed of updating, isn't it.

Might be some relay results about now...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2006, 1:28 PM  
Marquita brought NZ into 7th place on the first leg, but the placing, 9min gap to 1st and 3min gap to 6th suggests some problems out there. But the interesting result is Michal who led the men into 8th out of 35 teams, just 4-25 down!

In leg 2 Darryl wasn't able to keep the pace and he handed over to Stu in 21st, 28min behind. But there's no sign of Australia 1, at the intermediate only Carolyn Jackson riding for Australia 2 has been thru. Fiona finished 13th (+34min).

In leg 3 Stu pulled back 3 places to 18th (13th country out of 22). Di finished 13th but conceded a further 34min (10th country out of 14). Ride of the day was surely Michal's:-)) And the mystery of the day, what happened to Australia 1?

This message was edited by Michael on 13 July 2006, 11:39 PM

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 13 July 2006, 10:04 PM  
What did happen to Australia 1???? All 3 of them mispunched, as did one of Autralia 2! Very difficult orienteering, heaps of controls some extremely close together. I did have a few problems - visited a few extra controls but at least didn't punch the wrong ones. Michal had a great ride.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 July 2006, 6:47 AM  
Seems like 11 teams were DSQ'd, full marks to all kiwis for making sure of the controls. It seems as though it will be very difficult to find terrain in NZ with that sort of track density, maybe we need to try artificial terrain like mowed labyrinths on playing fields...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 July 2006, 7:00 AM  
A bit off-topic, but Yvette has been busy - Rachel Rosara Baker was born on 12 May.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 July 2006, 12:53 PM  
That was off the topic Michael, you should have made a new thread!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz