maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

O -Shoe Research

Show Profile  Tim Posted: 10 May 2006, 4:22 AM  
Hey all

As part of my 4th year project at uni I'm designing, developing and constructing an O shoe, and was wondering what your opinions were on the subject, so either drop me a line at timrenton@gmail.com or reply here.

What O shoes do you currently run in? How long have you had them? Why did you have to replace your previous pair? Pro's and Cons?

How long do they last? How long do you expect them to last? Have you ever experienced Dobbs falling out?

Would adjustable spike length be advantageous? Would you like your own customisable colour design?

What features would be included in your ultimate O Shoe?

Anything else?

Obviously the more answers I get the better the resulting shoe.

Tim

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 10 May 2006, 3:17 PM  
yeah with shoes as hard as orienteering shoes you'd think it would be possible to be able to have some optional spikes...would be good in countries where some areas are out of bounds for spikes

Something like the Twister with slightly more cushion would be my ultimate..

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 11 May 2006, 2:50 AM  
Suitable celebrity endorsment. Minna wears Twisters, so I couldn't buy anything else.

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 11 May 2006, 3:25 AM  
Also some other thoughts:

Twisters are good and comfortable to run in although after one year fall apart.

1) Improved materials
- Does not stretch/change size after getting wet.
- On the Twisters there is a different material used on the inside of the foot arch. This does not seem to help. On my shoes at least, this seems prone to getting cut up and damaged especially on rocks.

1b) Lighter
I'm sure this is somewhat contradictory to a desire for improved durability but then one o shoe shouldn't try to do everything. Even o shoes get somewhat water logged.

2) Improved lacing
I don't like the lacing system. Mainly I find it difficult to get it tight enough at the lower part - a little looser over the Navicular bone area - and finally tighter at the top. What would be better? I don't know. See final point.

4) Customised fit
I would like the shoes to be specially made for my feet. Like David Beckham.

This message was edited by Eponine_ on 11 May 2006, 10:26 AM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 May 2006, 5:11 AM  
Jalas Black FLX. At least two years. They will do a bit more yet. A statement like this must be accompanied by comment about frequency of use - high - and weight/aggression of runner. The previous ones (same) failed when one of the soles started to come away from the upper at the front - but I think I was happy with their life - but that may be going back 4 years. Everyone's foot shape and gait is slightly different and will cause a shoe to give up in a different manner.

I would expect orienteering shoes to last about a year of high use. I haven't experienced dobbs falling out, but on earlier VJ Sarvas which I use for endurance work the dobbs fall IN. Second Sarva was better (they still push in)and latest Sarva fairly new but fine after 24hr rogaine and Kaweka. Still I regard this as a trail shoe not an o-shoe.

I don't know if different spike lengths would be worth the bother, the dobbs seem to bite in a variety of terrains and I have no difficulty running on asphalt if required.

I think the biggest challenge in an o-shoe is catering for the variety of foot shapes. The kiwi foot is wider on average than European but some are wider in different places. And of course there are kiwis with narrower feet like me, and the foot will move around in a wide shoe especially when sidling. That's a production/supply problem rather than a purely technical one (you could in principle make a bespoke shoe) but rather more significant than customisable colours.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 11 May 2006, 7:03 AM  
I reckon some sort of instep grip arrangement for slippery logs/roots would be a plus for NZ terrain. How many times have you lost traction on tree roots while traversing? Going splat not only loses you a few valuable seconds but also can break your concentration, not to mention bones and connective tissue. In the tramping days of my parents (before vibram, gore tex or even plastic bags), boots were nailed in a pattern chosen by the wearer but usually featured a sawtooth-shaped nail called a tricouni on each side of the instep. Lightweight instep crampons work on a similar principle. In a "green" event like last w/e at Osgiliath where you're thrashing through thinnings (alliteration, ha), and jumping from one fallen tree trunk to another it's safest for your ankles and achilles to land on your instep, but all the traction is in the dobb spikes at the heel and ball of the foot.
The trick would be how to attach a dobb spike(s) under the instep with minimal weight gain and outsole thickness in that area. How about a couple of V-shaped outsole lugs under the medial instep holding angled dobb spikes, one at the rear pointing forward, and at the front pointing back? You'd have to get the geometry right, but I think the additional weight would be justified on maps like Old Mountain Road and Weiti, and any map with lots of thinnings.
Go to it Tim!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 May 2006, 7:01 AM  
I've been wondering who Eponine is, I think I've got it sorted now:

"Minna wears Twisters, so I couldn't buy anything else"

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 13 May 2006, 7:42 AM  
Minna has adapted twisters... the coach cut off the heel of one of them because her foot was swollen.

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 16 May 2006, 5:37 AM  
Eponine is a character from a Victor Hugo novel. Nothing more, nothing less.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 16 May 2006, 5:49 AM  
Definatly nothing more, perhaps something less.

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 16 May 2006, 6:12 AM  
That insult doesn't deserve a response.

This message was edited by Eponine_ on 16 May 2006, 1:30 PM

Show Profile  michaels Posted: 16 May 2006, 7:07 AM  
Good thing you didn't give it one then.

Show Profile  JD Posted: 27 May 2006, 12:53 PM  
You should put a built in computer in. It seems to be the trend these days.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz