maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Next Super Series Event

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 5 May 2006, 9:43 AM  
So pre print maps, that way no one has to copy courses and it would save your start time troubles. At 30-40cents per copy it's no big hassle rattling off a few more just in case.

even our club promo events are pre printed with courses now.

start boxes is the best system to use at OY and other small events, only preentry should have assigned start times.

I'd also like to see start boxes be used at all sprint events. It provides an accurate measure of starting time and eliminates human error. anyone remember the waitangi sprint start stuff up? start box would solve that.

what will the start be on saturday? (It's not too late to make a start box...)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 5 May 2006, 9:44 AM  
what does "I" mean on the start list?

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 May 2006, 10:53 AM  
We are using Start boxes on Saturday.
No start times have been allocated - just turn up from 2:00pm and we'll start you in some sort of order.

yep - preprinted maps would be a nice way to go. Hence RKs attempt for the OY on Sunday

I think I means Individual as opposed to a superseries team member

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 May 2006, 12:19 PM  
okay - in response to "Sprint Start Intervals" thread I'll rephrase that

there are start times allocated - see http://rk.orienteering.org.nz/

but theyre not in the SportIdent system - were using Start Boxes so dont need that info (you and the Starter does)

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 May 2006, 12:19 PM  
okay - in response to "Sprint Start Intervals" thread I'll rephrase that

there are start times allocated - see http://rk.orienteering.org.nz/

but theyre not in the SportIdent system - were using Start Boxes so dont need that info (you and the Starter does)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 May 2006, 2:45 AM  
There have been a number of superseries events using clipcards (to get back to one of the original points) including I believe all those in the South Island before this year's nationals. I agree that e-punching is better, but it would come as quite a low priority on a list of things that make an event of suitable Superseries standard (ie below quality mapping, course setting, spectator interest, cheerleaders...). If sportident was a necessity, then we'd be basically limited to SS events in the Auckland area, until other regions gradually catch up with the necessary funds, and then the NOrtherners might actually win with that much home advantage. Maybe.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 7 May 2006, 3:56 PM  
yep good point gormeister, a wicked map on a wicked area with a wicked course beats sportident anyday

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 7 May 2006, 4:19 PM  
spectator interest has been a bit of a joke at the superseries, waitangi weekend has been the only event with any spectator friendliness. shot greg!

wicked map, yes. wicked courses, yes and they can be made even better and more interesting with the use of SI. for now the money is out there to be applied for, this may not be the case in the future.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 7 May 2006, 5:46 PM  
I don't think that is true - I think Sport Ident is quite high up on the list of what makes a good SuperSeries event, or for that matter, just about any event. In fact, clipcards aren't really up to it, I think - they are just continuing the trend of New Zealand being behind the rest of the world in Orienteering.

The use of Sport Ident puts us on a level pegging with some of the top countries in the world in terms of running events. Generally (and I do say generally!), we have good quality maps, well set courses, good controlling and Sport Ident, and I think these are the key elements to a good event. Without Sport Ident though, the rest of these things somehow do not seem to rank right up there with the best in the sport.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 8 May 2006, 1:59 AM  
Grrr! Arrogant Aucklanders.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 May 2006, 5:33 AM  
The rest of NZ will catch up with electronic punching - it is less about money than scarce volunteer resources. The map and courses remain the most important parts of our sport - can you have orienteering without them? OHV's next event will not have electronic punching. It will not even have clipcards. It will have questions and answers.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 May 2006, 6:29 AM  
Interesting how you bring up the issue of scarce volunteer resources, as on the day less volunteers are required. for example at the CDSS champs last week there were 5 volunteers operating the finish. SI would have used 2.

I haven't been involved with organising a big event using clip cards so would be out of place comparing the time required to prepare each system. With SI, once you know how to do it, it's fairly easy and not as scary as some people make out.

Does anyone know anything about remote data transfer via radios?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 8 May 2006, 10:36 AM  
I think Al Landels had some involvement with SI and radio controls in Sweden, Im sure he will be able to point you in the right direction. Not sure if he still frequents these forums though?

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 8 May 2006, 2:12 PM  
That's the thing - Sport Ident actually makes things a whole heap easier. It's designed to improve organising events as well as running them.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 9 May 2006, 12:51 AM  
Theres a bit about radio controls at www.gpprojects.com/si.htm

Organising pre-entry type major events with clipcards is a major pain in the butt - it requires much more work than SportIdent to set up.
And I would certainly rather use SportIdent than clipcards for on minor events as well. Dont need finishers, results are easier to process. You do need someone who knows how to drive the software but thats simple to learn.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz