maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Nationals

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 20 April 2006, 2:52 AM  
the map was quite large, A3 infact, and the easiest 1:15000 iv ever read. native trees on all the hills. only one person referred to it as depressing.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 20 April 2006, 4:20 AM  
There's change in the air for the NZ Champs. It's gonna kick arse, you better be watching, it'll be stunning racing.

So especially for Jamie... A preview of Nationals 2007, a showcase of premier orienteering in New Zealand.

In true style Easter 2007 kicks off with a sprint race in the afternoon. Surpassing the magnificent Oceania Sprint, competitors will need their heads screwed on as they navigate through intricate complexes, weave through controls and are cheered on by spectators. Who's started on a podium before? Guided by a man who's spent his orienteering career spectating, this race will be the one to see.

The Long distance at Nats 07... everyone will be there. They didn't call it the Classic for nothing, located on a new map still to be made, you'll be picking left right or straight routes all day long. It'll be close at hand to the central accomodation.

Think the Waitangi Super Series was good? Think Middle Distance next year. What more could you want?

The standard and speed of the prizegiving is on the way up. Next year will be no different as our MC guides you through a novel night at a laugh a minute. (and the music won't stop before midnight)

Oh boy, Eponine_, we'll have a relay for you! Never know Jamie, it might even be red, there may even be girls winning.

Brought to you by the youthful Counties Manukau orienteers. www.cmoc.co.nz

This message was edited by Martin on 20 April 2006, 12:23 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 20 April 2006, 4:38 AM  
Funny you should ask that Rob. It was a fantastic area, and I'm keen to race on the map again. I was a little put out by an unmarked turnip field, which effected route choice...this is probably a controllers decision rather than a mappers ommission. And I did find it funny that there were no north arrows...so that might explain why it felt like I was running in the wrong direction at times.

This message was edited by Neil K on 20 April 2006, 12:40 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 April 2006, 4:45 AM  
Yeah it was such an awesome area

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 21 April 2006, 2:41 AM  
In regards to the map for the classic/long distance, it was a lovely area but the age-old problems of mapping style and generalisaton came into play. We have in New Zealand quite different styles of mapping - some mappers leave off a lot of detail while others put in to much - which is fine but can be disconcerting to the Orienteer.

Some comments:
- no magnetic north arrows
- on 1:10000 map magnetic north lines were 375m apart (should be 250m)
- some detail missing (small reentrants, depressions)
- generalised areas of black dots (I would have tried seeing if there was anything distinct/different inside the areas eg larger/smaller boulders/clusters)
- there was an edge of green around a large area of bare rock missing and vegetation detail missing inside with jagged/dangerous rock on the edges where I might have used a thin black line
- Course 3 had 8 controls in 7.1 km with a 700m run to the finish control - it would have been nice to have some shorter tricky controls
- tracks missing
- one person commented to me it would have been better with 2.5m contours but I disagree - just more detail required
- a large green area in the top middle of the map was passable - I ran through a slow run area on the east side of this area and thought the slow run was rough open with small patches of green stripes (undergrowth < 1m)
- turnip field was definitely slow run and should have been marked
- no vegetation boundaries

I can probably come up with a similar list for any of my own maps.
On the whole, an enjoyable, lovely area.

I'm not complaining - I enjoyed the challenge of interpreting the mapping immensely and probably because of my mapping background was able to get an advantage and I was able to win - I'm just curious
on the feelings of other competitors and which style they like (especially from people who have done lots of overseas events).

check out a previous mapping discussion on styles and generalisation:
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/forum/topic.cfm?t=581&f=2&page=1

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 April 2006, 5:48 AM  
yeah see my comment on other thread

I just hope someone can find some more money to put into the map...how about the NZOF?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 April 2006, 5:54 AM  
yeah see my comment on other thread

I just hope someone can find some more money to put into the map...how about the NZOF?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 21 April 2006, 7:09 AM  
I believe that they were Swedes NOT Turnips, and I think they should have been marked too, they cost me valuable time and energy at that stage of the course especially the high leg lifting required. It may have caused my legs to cramp up a bit.
Also to the SW of that control(17 on C1, 203)that gully had alot more detail than was marked...a lot more rocks.
I feel that after reading the program comments on the mapping style, it was better to have less small detail.
And as for 2.5m contours......no way it would have made it too complex, and I dont think it would have created that much better reading.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 April 2006, 8:15 AM  
It is better have have detail on the map, and then you can generalise it yourself, its too much guess work when it is map like it was.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 April 2006, 9:58 AM  
yeah agree with you there Greg...one of the key skills of orienteering is simplifying, that should be done by the competitors as well as the mapper. At the nationals classic there was no need to simplify but there was constant guesswork to be done over what was and wasn't mapped.

It was not always completely fair, controls on the elite course where there was unmarked detail that stick on my mind were 4, 6, 11 and 17.

That said the best and fittest orienteers won and the organisation was generally superb

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 24 April 2006, 12:13 PM  
A couple of comments from an armchair observer... 1. Easter is a crap time for the Nationals for those of us involved in horticulture. 2. As the timing is all electronic at A level events these days, there is no excuse not to have the results up on the web the same day as the competition. It is really frustrating being stuck at home and not being able to find out who has won, stuffed up etc. 3. Press releases should also be done as there is nothing like immediacy for the media. The Nationals are the showcase for the sport and we shouild be making use of the event to market it to the public.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 April 2006, 12:26 PM  
Anytime of the year is always crap for someone!!!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 24 April 2006, 12:31 PM  
Results for Nationals were up on the day of the event on Winsplits.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 24 April 2006, 12:52 PM  
What do you expect with results? Live updates from the event?

I think they did a brilliant job with the results. Maybe not so quick publishing them at the event, no one has a perfect system for that yet. but given the organisers were getting home in the dark you couldnt expect web results much quicker.

like greg says, theres a crap time of year for everyone. students have exams right after both queens birthday and labour weekend.

how well do press releases work? how should we be marketing to the public?

it's at easter again next year chris, so give us some ideas, what worked when HB had nationals and what are your expectations?

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 30 April 2006, 7:18 AM  
Yeah, I agree that any time of the year is crap for someone and I do accept that Easter is one of the better times to hold the Nationals, especially as the elites and juniors have exams etc at year end. If they did such a brilliant job with results, and they are avail on winsplits same day, getting them on the Nationals website same day should be no bother either.

If we want our sport taken seriously, then media releases and timely results publication are part of that. Journalists are always looking for stories, package it for them and they will (usually) publish it.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz