maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Orienteers in Other Sports

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 18 May 2009, 3:37 PM  
Stu & Anna's win in the Keen even featured in the Waitomo News last week (an esteemed publication, a fine example of the community newspaper genre, which we truly value as we get a free rubber band with every issue). Even Brent's name was mentioned in the article. I'm thinking of getting it framed...

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 May 2009, 7:07 PM  
Yeah, I yoused to use my waitomo news rubber bands to shoot and kill flies.

Show Profile  jaja Posted: 22 May 2009, 3:45 PM  
Young Erin Paterson in a combined team of New Plymouth Boys and Girls High schools and have won the 2009 Hillary Challenge!! in chilly central N.I. this week. Teams from 12 high schools competed against each other over some gruelling team inititives, navigation, mountain- biking,water skills,orienteering and overnights in the bush all along collecting points rogaine- style .Organised by the Sir Ed. Hillary Outdoor Pursits Centre Staff where Darren Ashmore and Rachael hang out..What an achievement!Go Girl...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 23 May 2009, 4:54 AM  
That would be Rebecca;-) But awesome! It would have been a torrid week for it but those young people are up for things us slightly older people would wimp out of in a second.

Bit of a shame the NP keeps on winning, but thats life I guess. Too organised, too well equipped, too well trained, too talented.

And good on Dazza for his continued efforts in making this and Get@Go a success, an underrated positive influence on orienteering.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 23 May 2009, 7:54 AM  
Epic week, these kids are pretty damn amazing!

The New Plymouth domination of the Hillary Challenge continues. Others however are getting closer and several teams have discovered the winning formula - Go as hard as you can for all 5-days and never ever give up! Plus, make sure you have a good navigator on the team!

Gene B and Matt O (NWOC)lead Massey High School to a fine 8th placing on their first attempt at the event.

It's great to see that many of the HC participants, while not quite up to the level of our junior O stars, are regulars at O events and Rogaines around the country.

The AR Champion of the World and one time Super Series leader Brent Edwards gave a great presentation to the teams at the prizegiving dinner sharing his AR and O experiences.

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 24 February 2010, 3:28 AM  

http://www.scottishathletics.org.nz/Brooks5k23Feb2010.html

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 February 2010, 3:53 AM  
See you there next Tuesday Stu.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 25 February 2010, 4:58 AM  
Running as Santa didn't count as "first-time" eh?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 March 2010, 12:27 PM  
Not exactly a sport but I caught bits of Jenni's Galileo lecture on the radio last night in between picking up controls. I'd like to know more about the "Adams effect", maybe the best person to describe it is Carsten. Was it something to do with stardust?

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 12 March 2010, 5:49 AM  
http://www.napierharriers.co.nz/2010/10BluewaterFebMar.html#5km%20Results

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 20 March 2010, 2:49 AM  
and good luck to our very own Mick Finn who is probably the only orienteer brave enough to take on the 100km Tarawera Ultramarathon today. Hope nothing 'cramps' your style mate.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 20 September 2012, 9:55 PM  
Congratulations to Chris and team (also Nathan) on dominating the World Adventure Race champs in France for the last week or so, crossing the line in 1st place today.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 22 September 2012, 2:27 AM  
Congratulations Chris, Nathan, Trevor and Sophie! Lesser known facts about this team is that they are all members of their local orienteering club. Along with Chris' amazing orienteering ability - Nathan is a very tidy navigator himself (although he tends not to compete nationally). Sophie and Trevor too have been focusing on their navigation skills. Such is the thoroughness of this teams prep they prefer that everyone can step up when needed. Look out for the whole team at orienteering events in the future. The Nelson club is very lucky to have them.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 September 2012, 12:49 PM  
Michael, have these guys had any influence on Nelson's membership or attendance?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 22 September 2012, 2:29 PM  
Simple answer. Yes. Nelson has now grown to 251 members at last count. The main reason is the popularity of navigation style sports here. I mean adventure sport events, mainly. The main instigator though is Nathan's Spring Challenge. An all-woman's adventure race held at the end of Spring each year. This year, next weekend in Methven. This event has hundreds of women out training in 3 person teams and navigation is a large part of it. Another event is Adventure Nelson (Chris James) 6 and 12 hr Rollo's. The Triathlon, orienteering and kayak racing clubs share a large membership base together. But the main thing is following the OHV model. That is offering a wide range of map based events aimed at participation. It is now starting to pay dividends in that next year will see 1 new map, 2 major remaps and a major consolidation project done on our urban mapping work that you started for us Michael. We have the same issues as other clubs, but we're slowly getting there. Oh and add into the mix Brent Edwards who's already dragged a few other elites around our (primitive) maps.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz