maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Southern Traverse

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 14 November 2005, 3:17 AM  
Interesting to read the race objectives of Aaron's/Jamie's team GoLite Timberland

William Mattison: To win.
Aaron Prince: To win.
Anna Keeling: To win.
Jamie: Because it is in my backyard and with the indications being that trekking and navigation will be crucial, I am confident that with my skill set I will contribute positively to my team.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 14 November 2005, 4:58 AM  
Yeah, Jamie will be doing well to finish.

I have put the check point locations onto a Google Map for those that are interested. Some checkpoint locations are not totally accurate as the map from the official website is fairly vague.

http://www.maptalk.co.nz/infographics/southerntraverse.cfm

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 18 November 2005, 6:01 AM  
Looks like Jamie and the GoLite team are actually doing bloody well - 5th nearing the end of the race.

Not surprising really when you consider GoLite (without Jamie) were the only international team who put in the necessary preparation by turning up for the Southern Traverse last year.

And Port Nelsin is going very well - just goes to show what really competent backcountry trampers/navigators can achieve on "real" (not namby-pamby Swiss Alps) AR courses like this.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 18 November 2005, 2:54 PM  
I thought Sara's team also did the Southern Traverse last year, and the other Swedish team as well, at least some of them did it last year as well didn't they? I'm not sure they had the same team names but at least some of the team members have done Southern Traverse before.

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 18 November 2005, 8:52 PM  
Team Halti
Sara Wallen did the race last year with a New Zealand team.
Mikael Nordström did the race as well with Lundhags Adventure

Lundhags Adventure
Mikael Andersson and Björn Rydvall both competed last year in Lundhags Adventure.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 19 November 2005, 9:16 AM  
Jamie and Aaron's team, GoLite Timberland, have finished third!!!

Awesome effort guys, congratulations!

Show Profile  nick Posted: 21 November 2005, 5:50 AM  
Yeah - top effort dudes. Looked like a damn tight race in tough course/conditions. Very impressed. Hope you're on a high! Congrats to Sara also for a big race!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 November 2005, 7:20 AM  
And now I can settle back down to my life of Maptalk, sleeping and beer.

Go the Southerly Storm, back to winning form despite the ARWC absences.

Show Profile  Rob G Posted: 22 November 2005, 1:18 AM  
That was brilliant both Jamie and Aaron, and you have shrugged off the dnf label forever, Jamie by doing the nearly impossible in your first long adventure race with 2 weeks notice. Congratulations to Sarah as well for navigating her team to 5th.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 22 November 2005, 3:03 AM  
My congratulations too Jamie - fantastic effort in your first major AR Race.

I am intrigued as to how any teams managed to navigate at night on the first three treks. I have been into the heart of the Lyell Range and remember it as very indistinct. I would say it is nigh impossible to navigate in there at night unless on the tops and with a full moon!! I read that Balance Vector did most of their trekking in daylight, and maybe this does explain their enormous lead.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 November 2005, 7:02 AM  
There were some quality navigators around and teams were travelling in groups behind them.

On the 1st night we were travelling with Nike for some so Aaron, Ian Adamson, Tobin, Kloser etc were all checking each other. There was also another big group following Neil Jones, including the 3 Swedish teams. Port Nelson and Powered by Velvet were also in the vicinity with navigators that rocked...I was taught a few lessons...

On the 2nd night lots of teams including us made medium sized errors. We were pretty much alone and Aaron did a great job.

On the 4th night (3rd trek) we caught team Halti at Kirwans hut and Aaron and Sara navigated us down the left hand spur to catch teams Cross, Sierra and Lundhags at dawn. It was an outstanding piece of night navigation, which I was in awe of (it was hard enough just following them half asleep!)

So yeah, there were lots of good navigators around. Re Balance Vector, I think the daylight thing probably works both ways and suggest local knowledge and sheer ability are more likely explanations for the size of their victory.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 22 November 2005, 8:21 AM  
Hey Jamie, amazing effort mate, well done. Are you turning pro now?
Being a fairly handy navigator yourself I'm interested to know what nav lessons you learned?

PS - Congrats to Sara and Aaron also. It was very exciting watching the battle for second.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz