maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Nats at Labour Weekend?

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 31 August 2005, 2:50 AM  
It's all about the Challenge Nick, the Challenge.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 August 2005, 2:53 AM  
The only problem with James suggestion is that you are asking for more events, I can't see any changes happening if it involves more events being added for clubs to organise. Ideally if you are talking about an 'elite' season it would be best to run it so that it ends just before the start of the serious part of the European season. But the people that do the planning are not elites, and are also worried about every other person wanting to orienteer, which leads to events scattered all over the year as they think this is the best way ( how?? )

The only way a proper season is going to work is if there is a major shift around of events.

My suggestion is basicly the same as Darrens, start spring with club events and OY's, a possible A grade event at Labour weekend, followed by more OY's etc. Every-year a NZ Summer Carnival!! followed by clubs local summer events (park-o's etc) leading into proper events in the forest. March the start of the area champs with 2 before Easter. Nationals at easter, then the last area champs 2 weeks after. Then clubs can finish off however they want, eg auck score series. I would not hold a major event at queens birthday as it seems every year less and less people are turning up to it and it is come more and more of a struggle to find a club to hold it.

This allowes The elites to have a serious block of racing in March, April and May and head off to WOC etc. I wouldn't make the summer carnival a serious event for elites either, so it gives them room for base training but provides a fun social event.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2005, 4:24 AM  
Any enthusiasm for the idea of holding the Sec Schools Champs at Queens Birthday?

More attractive for clubs organising (can hold other races to get general O public, gives Sec Schools an audience - gets schools and clubs together once a year)

Gets the team for Aus Schools selected earlier. Gives more time for the managers and competitors going to get their shiz together.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 August 2005, 4:27 AM  
PS this thread was started to hear young people's opinions. To those students who may be put off posting cause the thread has been hijacked, don't be - have your say!

PPS Simon - if Orienteering is such a geeky and nerdy sport, what's a rugby boof-head like you doing it???

Show Profile  James Posted: 31 August 2005, 6:38 AM  
firstly, simon may have played rugby, but he is a geek.(ps its better to a geek than a nerd)

I think Sec schools at Queens Birthday is a choice idea, not only does it make it easier for people to help out on the day (at present all people involved have to get friday off work), it also exposes many sec school students to the club scene and elites, as well as exposing the future talent to the rest of the country! plus i never really understood having national sec school, smack bang in the middle of winter! this will also open the oportunity to have another race for the school students eg/ sprint or a middle.......

and the NZ school team gets more time for training/organising and fundraising

but one negative point...i know my high school used to always have exams around Queens Bday weekend, but that might only be my old school????

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 31 August 2005, 6:45 AM  
Are you calling me old, Rob?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 31 August 2005, 12:55 PM  
Just another option to add to the melting pot..

Could we adopt something similar to the Aussies of having a seperate Middle Distance Elite National Champs weekend? Could this be at Labour Weekend, with a qualifier and final. Still keep Long Distance and Relay at Easter?

Some of the options are really good, maybe altering the timing of the Area Champs towards Feb / March / April and sloting in OY series in end of previous year.

What do school students think about timing of Secondary School Nationals? Would you prefer an extra event? I personally think the format and timing is tried and tested and is working fine at the moment. Exposure of the schools scene to the club scene is a moot point, sure an effort needs to be made, but this relationship should be developed on a local level first before any attempt at a national level.

Most school exams are now focused in a September, last weeks of the third term.

This message was edited by Andrew M on 31 August 2005, 8:56 PM

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 31 August 2005, 1:59 PM  
If we were to split nationals over two weekends, which I don't think is all that dumb an idea IF each event attracted the same degree of interest, then would it not be better if they were reasonably close in time, say no more than a month or so apart? Otherwise it makes a bit of a mockery of the seaon building to nationals concept.

Pro: Each event could be held in a suitable terrain type...

Pro or con: Instead of demanding one club or group of clubs to put on 4 BIG races in one go, it demands two clubs to each put on 2 BIG races...

Con: With current attitudes, the two races not paired with the long distance champs would probably attract lower numbers

Show Profile  James Posted: 31 August 2005, 2:39 PM  
Interesting thought andrew about splitting nationals up.

but does anyone know what the aussies think of this? cos my impression is that the national middle champs arent really that much of an event, well at least not compared to aus champs in oct.
but by doing this, we could train for different disciplines more effectively........
personally though, i think nationals should all be in the event week/weekend

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 1 September 2005, 3:08 AM  
I think its much better to keep them all together.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 1 September 2005, 9:29 AM  
Surely you cannot consider splitting nationals?? What happens if both sets of events happen to be hosted by one island - either North or South and this is not the island that you live on?? Do you expect that when this happens people cross the Strait twice?? Or even worse put priority on whichever event(s) they feel they will do better in and only attend that weekend?? I rreally can't see any point in splitting nationals but hey that's just my opinion.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 1 September 2005, 9:47 AM  
There's far more incentive to travel to one nationals weekend than two weekends with a national champ and a minor event.

Don't split 'em I say.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 September 2005, 2:05 PM  
What about just having everyone play catching features online for our nationals, and have each one a seperate event. No course setting required, no travelling required, geez u dont even need to do any physical training!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 1 September 2005, 2:47 PM  
...Yes Simon, but I think then you have to make everyone run a standardised physical event - say 5000m etc. and then correlate the CatchingFeatures results against the times run ;-)

But my opinions are:
1. Orienteering should be a summer sport - regardless how hot it gets.
2. The Nationals should maybe be in the latter part of the season.
3. The Nationals races should be kept together.
4. If you want to race me (especially Brent, Neil & Jamie) then the chances of me being in NZ at another time than the summer/autumn are very small - so I hope there are some races then.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 September 2005, 3:11 PM  
We could always scrap the NZ season, all move to Sweden, spend all our time orienteering rather than playing Catching Features, World of Warcraft or Counterstike. Only problem is Al will still beat Brent, Neil and Jamie.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz