maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Nats at Labour Weekend?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 25 August 2005, 4:49 AM  
Good on James for putting pen to paper in the latest Auckland mag and voicing his opinion. It's interesting to see a student in favour of a Labour Weekend nationals despite the conflict with end of year studies/exams.

What do other students think?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 August 2005, 5:13 AM  
Have you heard the news today...why can't I close my eyes and make it go away...how long, how long must we sing this song, how long, hoowww loonnnnggg...

I'm starting to not care.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 August 2005, 5:58 AM  
I'd rather see a season with Nationals at the end, regardless of when it is.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 25 August 2005, 8:39 AM  
It is more obvious now than ever that students are the future of the sport. With our sport being such a geek and nerdy sport, generally most orienteers do very well at school as well as university. This means that at the end of the year, they are focused on work more than the rest of the general population so having the biggest event of the year then seems stupid. Easter is definetly the best time of year, so maybe we need to work out our calendar and base it around ending the season then.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 25 August 2005, 3:40 PM

Show Profile  frances Posted: 25 August 2005, 8:57 AM  
Despite being a student, I'd rather have Nationals at the end of the season, ie. Labour weekend or whatever. Training is often what keeps me sane during study anyway.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 25 August 2005, 9:42 AM  
I prefer Easter, more fun training in the new year than over winter, also better build up for WOC.

Show Profile  Tim Posted: 25 August 2005, 12:45 PM  
End of year would be better, at the end of a build up of OY's, racing fit etc

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 August 2005, 1:50 PM  
From a competitive perspective the national champs should be at the end of the season. there is not doubt in my mind that results all round would be better if there was a decent series of events leading up to them., ie the season!

Labour weekend marks the conclusion of classes and the start of exams. I know at auckland the first week is not filled with exams, so if a good student is on top of their work then holding nationals then would not pose a problem. as Simon points out "generally most orienteers do very well at school as well as university". they can be more focussed on their work and sport because they have time management skills. See you at auckland champs!

In years that there is no summer carnival the season is based around the winter, ending in november and restarting again around early march. if there is a summer carnival then the season extends to 12 months.

I see two options forward, (presuming that something eventuates!) they will both meet with opposition from different people:
Either change the season to have nationals at the end
Or change the nationals to the end of the season.
both involve having the nationals at the end of the season which is my preference.

Easter has the benefit of falling in the study break for most students and offers a chance for a week long carnival. look at the participation numbers from 2003, the highest in recent years. this reason is only valid if there is a week of events, can't just be used as a "maybe"

Show Profile  MASH Posted: 25 August 2005, 2:39 PM  
I dont want to orienteer in the summer!
I want to go to the beach/holiday home during the summer!
I want to take my annual holidays during the summer!
I want to play cricket/tennis during the summer!
I want the Nationals at the end of the calander season April - November!
I want the Nationals at Labour weekend!
I want to be selfish!
I want!
I really do want!
I have no interest in whats best for NZ orienteering!

Spring, Summer, Autumn "O" yeah!

This message was edited by MASH on 25 August 2005, 9:42 PM

This message was edited by MASH on 25 August 2005, 10:10 PM

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 25 August 2005, 4:53 PM  
PUT NATIONALS AT THE END OF THE YEAR!

Sure its hard for uni students and others doing exams but having Nats at the beginningish of the year is kind of silly. after Nationals we go into OY's and regionals and then it all sort of dies off. Having Nats at the end of the year would mean you are race fit and have had plenty of practice. How hard would that be. It means you building up to something. ITS A BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!!!

Show Profile  MASH Posted: 26 August 2005, 4:29 AM  
Why does the "O" season have to be based around the January to December calender year?
Is this a mind set?
What is wrong with starting the "O" season in say September thru to April incorporating OYs during this period and culminating with the Nationals at Easter?
Would this not help the south island clubs not to have to orienteer during the winter months? (Oh, didnt think, they may enjoy it.)
Is a calender year "O" season being pushed by some Auckland people being obstinate, pushing their own agenda and not thinking about the rest of the NZ "O" fraternity or whats best for the sport?
Oh! dear what have I said! A quick exit from Auckland might now be prudent!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 26 August 2005, 4:38 AM  
make up your mind old man

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 26 August 2005, 5:18 AM  
yes there is a mindset that the season is based around january to december. this is because the age groups are defined by which calendar year you were born in.

it does not make sense to have a season that you have to change age grades half way through. this is more of a problem for juniors than seniors.

This message was edited by Martin on 26 August 2005, 2:26 PM

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 26 August 2005, 6:25 AM  
How about shifting the Nationals to QB weekend. This would give a two more months after summer to build up to Nationals. Many Elites are away over July/ August to WOC, etc, so this would be a perfect buildup to these. Being away at this time also prevents elites from having a domestic season over winter, ie the Super Series is best held over the summer as it is at present, climaxing with the Nationals.

Also with increased competitions in Australia: NZ testmatches, JWOC 07, etc, it would make good sense to have our Nationals on a different date to theirs. This would enable us to attend the Aussie Nationals and vice versa. The Aussie Nationals are always an excellent week of competitions providing some surperb orienteering and great training.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 26 August 2005, 7:15 AM  
Easter.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 26 August 2005, 7:30 AM  
for students, QB and Labour weekend are one in the same, they are both 3-4 weeks before exams

it really doesnt bug me what weekend nationals are i just think its important that they are at the end of the local and regional domestic seasons

This message was edited by Martin on 26 August 2005, 2:35 PM

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz