maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

JWOC 2007

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 August 2005, 12:34 AM  
Thomas raised JWOC 2007 on another thread...any comments about the ideal/achievable preparation for this...domestic camps/europe 2006/physical preparation...

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 25 August 2005, 1:20 AM  
I agree with Thomas that JWOC 07 is really exciting wrt potential results. The ideal preparation would obviously have a financial/sponsorship component as well, with as many O trips to Oz as possible in the buildup. From the JWOC bulletin #1, there will be a training camp held in Orange immediately prior to JWOC 2007 from Saturday 30th June – Friday 6th July. There will also be a five day event (Xmas 5 Days) held in Orange 27th December-31st December 2006 using maps similar to JWOC maps.
Aussie Nationals next year are in Western Australia, again an important consideration for aspiring JWOC participants.
Surely maximising the contact with Australian terrain would be better than any trip to Europe?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 25 August 2005, 4:48 AM  
Although maximising contact with Australian terrain would definately be ideal. As I have found out, you dont know the standard that needs to be attained to compete with Europeans until you have been there and done it in there back yard. They can Orienteer just as well in any type of terrain, because they do it so much. I didn't realise how much a mistake was costing me until actually competing at JWOC and O-Ringen where there is 50+ people in your grade. You dont get that type of intense competition in Australia (Well I dont think so anyway, having never been there I cant really talk!)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 August 2005, 5:38 AM  
I think you are right there Tane

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 25 August 2005, 12:12 PM  
You are certainly right in your points Tane. However I'd guess that if you're close to the Australians (or even better!) you will do well at JWOC there. I found when I was a junior that it wasn't until about my third trip to Australia that I was comfortable and relatively consistent in the races there. So I don't believe Europe is absolutely necessary - if you want tougher races - run 21E in NZ - at least in non-long races; the NZ elite wouldn't be so different from the top juniors in the World. So - get to Aus. as much as you can - unless you have the time/money for Europe - but then you should still try to get to Aus. a couple of times too.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 26 August 2005, 4:47 AM  
OY4/5? is next weekend....

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz