maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Super Series

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 11 February 2006, 2:17 PM  
What about the junior super series?? Which events counted for that??

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 11 February 2006, 2:40 PM  
It's based on the events in the Senior Superseries, so my guess would be the event on Saturday of Waitangi, the combined times of Sprint and Middle on Sunday, and the loops on Monday - because the seniors have those plus the relay.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 11 February 2006, 4:44 PM  
Thanks sounds good

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 8 May 2006, 7:53 AM  
"The Orienteering Superseries was invented in 2002 by the National Squad to provide more competition within New Zealand."

If NZ-based National Squad members get financial support for their travel to these events, is there not a moral obligation to take part? What does being in the National Squad actually mean?

I am an ardent follower of the Superseries and NZ elite orienteering in general but, injuries and international commitments aside, I wonder if all the squaddies have the required level of commitment to really make the Superseries work. Please prove me wrong.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 8 May 2006, 8:52 AM  
Whoa! Scorching post bro!

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 8 May 2006, 9:34 AM  
If this is about the most recent SS event then...
I did think about going, but then I thought about it, and after a while I thought that it wasnt worth going up from the South Island for one 15min sprint and an OY event (even if it was the SS). So going by Nathan Fa'ave's rule of thumb, thats 2 hours travel(by plane) for approx 1 hour 15mins of Orienteering. Not worth it.
So I spent the weekend working on my University studies, something which Im paying a lot more for. No hours travel, 5 hours of study

Show Profile  James Posted: 8 May 2006, 11:34 AM  
So an athlete like Nick willis, shouldnt go and race anywhere going by Nathan Fa'ave's rule.....................On that note i dont think that we should send a team to World Champs, cos thats about 48hours of flying, and only about 2-3hours of racing.
Not worth it.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 May 2006, 11:57 AM  
I thought about going and went: travelled for 13hrs, drove 1350km and raced for 111min, saw my hobbling sister AND got in some study.

It was a fun weekend, hell I'd drive to bluff if it was with the likes of Simon, Sam and Tineke.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 8 May 2006, 1:08 PM  
I went 1350km (-100), drove 13hours, raced for 105mins and managed to get a 4000 word assignment done, all on Saturday and Sunday.

I agree that some of the elites aren't really making the effort. I don't think they are obliged to do so, and I'm sure some of them have good reasons why they couldn't make it.

However, I should have stayed home, but I still went, because I want to do really well at JWOC in Lithuania, and I would have thought some of our top orienteers would have a similar keen mentality to the one Jeff possesses.

This message was edited by SJ on 8 May 2006, 9:34 PM

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 May 2006, 1:15 PM  
geez man, did u get lost for 100km or sumthn on the way down? cus i went via raglan, hamilton and putaruru picking up the car load.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 8 May 2006, 6:51 PM  
You'd never do 5 hours of study in a weekend tane!

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 9 May 2006, 4:35 AM  
ok, ok, maybe my excuses were a bit lame..I didnt realise how long you North Islanders had to travel, my north Island geography sucks...
And Nathan Fa'ave's rule of thumb was more of a rule than say, a law.
But I still think that if you want an event to be successful you have to 'sell' your product effectively. Even if it is a SS event,the onus is still on the orgainising club. Take, for example, in Switzerland for that Post Finance Sprint race (which Ross and Lizzie ran in) the qualifier was a middle distance event, as they thought to attract people they needed more than just 2 sprint races. And this was all 2 days before the Swiss O-week, in the same area. I would think that people in New Zealand are probably more stubborn, as orienteering is not as big, so to attract more high level people you have to make it more attractive, to make it worth while.
And anyway the Southerly Storm have definately paid for a poor turn out.
And yes Keith, maybe I exagerated just a little bit...

Show Profile  mark Posted: 9 May 2006, 5:08 AM  
The onus to attract elites is not on the organising club.
What do they get out of having a few more elites at the event?
I think the success of the event is measured by the overall number of competitors, not the number of elites.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 9 May 2006, 5:11 AM  
The super series seems to have a very low profile.
Most of the people at the OY on Sunday probably didn't even know it was a super series event.

So who really gives fuck about the super series anyway?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 9 May 2006, 5:16 AM  
the Post Finance Sprint had prize money of $1000, $500 and $200. that alone would get all the elites there me thinks.

and there wasn't too much promotion, as afterall it was just an OY with a sprint event the day before.

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz