maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

WOC middle 06

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 20 August 2005, 6:14 AM  
True

Show Profile  darren Posted: 20 August 2005, 8:03 AM  
It should be relatively easy throwing a spectator (Micr-O) control into a long race as well, so it doesn't matter to much if there aren't so many middle races. I reckon we should keep the micr-o bit out of the sprints though and just have plain spectator controls.
Rob, I don't think you should feel stupid running the penalty loop as it could theoretically be a tactical decision to miss a micr-o control out if you decide it will take longer than 17secs to decide on the correct one.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 August 2005, 9:31 AM  
Im amazed that you havent suggested that every single OY has micr-o controls in them Darren

Show Profile  darren Posted: 20 August 2005, 10:28 AM  
Simon have you heard of the 6 P's?

Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I think extending it to OY's is a little excessive but at least you are thinking positively.

This message was edited by darren on 20 August 2005, 9:15 PM

This message was edited by darren on 20 August 2005, 9:16 PM

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 August 2005, 2:18 PM  
True Darren!

For a laugh, go to:

http://www.yukonorienteering.ca/iof/WOIC2.jpg

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 August 2005, 4:25 PM  
Hopefully Michael might have a word with some of the clubs involved with the big events coming up and convince them that a middle distance race might be a good idea

Most organisers would be stoked to not have to plan a 100 minute elite course.

Dear Michael,

Please

From Jamie

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 August 2005, 12:42 AM  
I would expect that planners and controllers of A level events have experience at what they are doing. There are a lot of things you don't learn by reading the book. (How many people have even read the definition of Nordic Micr-O?)

It should be tried out on lesser events (including OYs) before including in majors. Summer after-work events would be a good opportunity to shake down the logistics.

PPPPPP applies to planners too.

Show Profile  Tim Posted: 21 August 2005, 11:13 AM  
Is this where it will get to?
http://www.orientering.nu/ovrigt/humor/micro.html

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 August 2005, 11:52 AM  
www.yukonorienteering.ca/iof/WOIC2.jpg

I'm OK with these, some good ideas there:-))

But before we use new things in WOC all countries should have a reasonable chance to practice them. Likewise anything radically different in the Superseries should be tried out lower down.

I've learnt that innovations won't be instantly recognised and welcomed by the orienteering organisations which provide almost all of our events. Be prepared to undertake them yourselves.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 August 2005, 12:19 PM  
Massive article here

http://ocad.suunnistus.info/sf/browser/showfile?cust=awsuunnistus&subdir=blog&doc=tvtime

The video link has a good start with a virtual over-look of how it works, but it is all in swedish.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 August 2005, 1:12 PM  
apart from the final comment of the video in english "actually i do not like this kind of orienteering"

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 August 2005, 1:30 PM  
Yeah but then she did turn down Ross for Pasi

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 22 August 2005, 8:13 AM  
Micro O sound fun, bring it on.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 August 2005, 1:59 AM  
Looks like Northwest is running QB next year, so it's up to them whether they put in a micr-O or not. We may be able to try it at a promo event earlier in the year.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 August 2005, 2:13 AM  
There is an Auck OY on 18th Sept who is setting that??

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz