maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

WOC middle 06

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 August 2005, 6:45 AM  
A for Micheals comments on "I'm not going all that way for half an hour of orienteering" not every course has to be a middle, just make it the elite courses, if the rest want another classic day after day them give them it, but that doesn't mean the elite courses have to be.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 August 2005, 6:47 AM  
So are the Scandis at alternativet.nu and opn.no but I don't understand what they are saying :-(, although I think the word "idiot" is the same in Swedish...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 August 2005, 7:25 AM  
http://www.alternativet.nu/alternativet.asp?id=3254

Thats the link, they are going hard can someone translate major points?

This message was edited by Greg on 18 August 2005, 2:31 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 August 2005, 10:25 AM  
Practising here: it requires special mapping, it requires electronic punching, and I think it may require a special version of the e-punching software: don't you need to know PDQ how many penalty loops you have to run?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 19 August 2005, 2:40 AM  
You could probably get away with clipcards if you had to, using a dedicated clipcard for the micrO part, distributed with the map (no wristloops or holders to ensure a speedy changeover). Leave boxes blank if you skip a control or clip boxes in the same column if you punch more than one control for a given leg. Instead of a download station you'd need a table of keen clipcard reading people and a long enough buffer loop to allow manual checking of the clip patterns and calculation of penalty loops. Would be feasible for elite grades but not all age grades.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 19 August 2005, 4:06 AM  
Alistair might report on the opinions of those in the EEC reference group prompted by a very well-argued letter he wrote on the subject. Alistair and those who have written are against introducing it next year.

Spoke to Carsten last night and he said that most people on alternativet were against, although like me, he can't really be bothered to wade through all the posts. Although there are a few saying if this is the price we have to pay to get a foot in the door of good TV coverage then maybe we should try it. As I said before, the idea is all distances will be covered and they hope to present an exciting presentation without micro-O to show that it's not necessary to make it televisable. But they couldn't get TV to budge without having micro O. So they sold out. I now think maybe it is worth it if it does mean that orienteering will in the future be presented more on TV. Imagine if orienteering was shown for an hour in all its full exciting glory regularly on TV here (Sky it would have to be I guess) then I'm pretty sure we'd find it easier to get sponsorship. I'm not sure if that will result though - hopefully...

To practise micor-O I don't think you need to actually do the full micro-O thing with penalty loops etc - the main thing to practise is running into an area with many controls visible and judging which is yours or being able to assess whether it will take you more than around 20s to determine which one is right. Sure it would probably be also good to train a bit in running some intervals in front of a crowd and then making the transition to orienteering smoothly again afterwards. These could be pratised separately. So as far as preparing for next year goes don't get all caught up in trying to hold the full micro O and then deciding it's too difficult and so do nothing or only one!

Show Profile  Brenda Boghopper Posted: 19 August 2005, 5:21 AM  
So after the PWT began, how many years did the IOF wait to put the sprint distance into WOC? Making up for lost time.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 19 August 2005, 5:27 AM  
Is the decision by the IOF reversible? I doubt it!!!

Therefore we should just get on with working out how we can best prepare for it in Denmark. Obviously we can't do much about the TV cameras and 100's (?) of spectators but we should be able to paractice the finding of the correct control among many part.

One simple idea i just thought of while reading Jenni's post is this.

At all (or at least most) SS races in the next season we could arrange for the 2 elite courses to have a highly visible spectator control. This control could have 5 or 6 controls in close proximity (al la Micr-O) and if we clip the wrong one we simply get a penalty (17 or 20secs or whatever) added to our time at the end of the race.

This should be a piece of cake to organise as all you really need are the dummy control at a suitable spectator control. Spectators could be encouraged in the pre race brief to cheer and/or yell abuse to increase the distraction. Might not be the real thing but at least it will give us practice at the important bit, identifying the correct one amongst the dummies or deciding to bail and take the penalty.

Needs to be simple for the organisers or they won't do it.

Any other ideas out there?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 19 August 2005, 8:34 AM  
By an act of brilliant anticipation (i.e. a fluke) I suggested Micr-O as an AOC event idea to Alistair (Stewart) a day before this thread started. I'd be keen to have a go at setting one if those in the inner sanctum of the club deem it appropriate. Maybe QB 2006?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 August 2005, 8:40 AM  
This thing sounds fine - we can probably practice for it better than we can other for aspects of oreinteering like fast technical orienteering on good maps.

Jenni, I think many of the current team are up for Denmark after seeing the examples of the map and experiencing the heat of Japan, any info/maps you could send over would be awesome.

Just got back today, tired but pysched!

Show Profile  James Posted: 20 August 2005, 3:06 AM  
well i reckon darrens idea about the spectator controls with the dummy ones is ideal! to make a real go of WOC next year we need to start actioning this aspect now! totally up for jeff doing the micro-O at q b'day 06, but feel we should get more pratice at it before then!
so i guess that means those organising area champs etc........especially if there is a middle race involved, can we get this micro-O included in any of the courses?? after this years awesome WOC results, we've shown that NZ can do well competing against the rest of the world, lets continue that!

just a question to those in the know...........
how does the 'penalty' actually work?
ive seen some where that there is a penalty 'loop', does that mean you have to run around in a little circle???
or do they simply add on a few seconds for each in correct control?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 August 2005, 3:24 AM  
Yes, you run around in a "circle", probably elongated - but its not too little, the loop at the Nordics was about 17 sec. So 2 wrong, 2 loops, about 35 sec of looking stupid in front of spectators :-)

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 August 2005, 3:52 AM  
CD Champs
Sat - Long (A level)
Sun - "Park-O" (double loop course using pivot)

Auck Champs
Sat - Middle
Sun - Long (A level)
Mon - Sprint

Well Champs
Sat - Long
Sun - ??

SI Champs
Sat - Long (A level)
Sun - Long

There is only 1 middle to pratice at, but at least there is 2 sprints. With the lack of a summer carnival the event list is looking even thinner than normal before a Nationals.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 20 August 2005, 4:26 AM  
I think Darren has a good point. If the NZOF has decided on putting this format into WOC then there is not much point in complaining about it. Lets just figure out a way to get good at it.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 August 2005, 6:03 AM  
Try the IOF, not NZOF

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz