maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

NZ WOC Team Up For Auction!!!

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 3 June 2005, 6:12 AM  
Check out Trade Me for the WOC teams latest fundraising idea. Spread the word! We've sent out media releases and are hoping that we will at least get some publicity and profile.
Go to www.trademe.co.nz and search for orienteering.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 3 June 2005, 9:48 AM  
I see Brent has put in an opening bid of 50 cents. With 11 team members, I guess we assume Brent thinks he is worth less than 5 cents...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 June 2005, 10:25 AM  
What a stunning group of individuals!

Worth less than a 1978 book about orienteering as well ;-)

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 4 June 2005, 6:20 AM  
We're over the $100 mark. That'll keep us in pies for at least a day or two...maybe. Neils cheese fetish as shown in AUS, may prove our downfall.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 8 June 2005, 10:25 AM  
Just saw this on the Sportzhub multisport forum in response to the Trademe ad -

"Upgrading the clothing would be the first thing I'd require before fronting up with $70k. Sure orienteering is a great family sport, gets people into the outdoors and we have some of the worlds best, but the dated image needs to change."

I like the bit about having some of the world's best! but is our image still that bad???

This message was edited by darren on 8 June 2005, 6:35 PM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 9 June 2005, 10:19 AM  
Check out bids now $250. Last 24 hours to ring around business people and let them know and if need be explain trade me and sign then up, its working for Claire.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 9 June 2005, 11:52 AM  
I was down at hockey tonight and someone commented on the auction! word really is spreading about this novel concept. Shot guys

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 9 June 2005, 1:06 PM  
The grand mark as been broken in total, thats a few more pies

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 June 2005, 10:07 AM  
$400 and $265, not too bad, altho the $400 had $300 on it so why didn't that person bid onto the cheaper one, would have then been $400 and $300??

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 17 June 2005, 8:51 AM  
After following up on the bids we managed to get $1500; $1000 from 2 companies in CHCH (EPL & Talbot Plastics) and $500 from pandasport. Pandasport is an online sporting forum that also has a weekly review slot of sporting websites etc… on radio sport and has already plugged us.

From what I was quickly able to track, we got airplay on Radiosport(x2) National Radio, coverage in the Press and Herald, Webpage coverage on sites like Xtra MSN and a bit of furum coverage from other sites and a bit of a general hum from the public about orienteering. We also had over 2200 viewings of our bid site. There was probably other placements/promotion of the trade me idea but that's all I noticed.

Pandasport will plug us as the chance arises, and helped us get a company that will sponsor us a web based product to send back a diary of our WOC campaign. Nic Gorman is looking to be our Media guy over there so this should help him.

Anyway...$1500, that's a lot of pies.
Thanks to everyone for doing there bit.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 17 June 2005, 9:23 AM  
Nice work Clem, congrats on getting some coin.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 17 June 2005, 1:01 PM  
Clems da Man! Even without the money, that was a huge result for publicity of Orienteering.

Awesome stuff.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 28 June 2005, 5:22 AM  
...writing as "Media Guy":

If anyone knows a good place to get hold of a cheap (ie 2nd hand) laptop in Wellington (where I am now) or Auckland (where I'll be for a few weeks before heading to Japan) could they let me know? Even better if anyone has one they don't or hardly use and are willing to lend it for a couple of weeks that would be brilliant! Media facilities for the world champs include internet access, but not (if I've interpreted the translated english correctly) computers. There's also an assumption that journo's only want hotel style accomodation - meanwhile, I'm looking forward to my tent!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 28 June 2005, 2:45 PM  
...Anyone know what the status is with mobile phone networks etc in Japan - do you need 3G or tripple-band or something weird to get it to work? Have heard that 'normal' cell-phones don't work. Any ideas on things like GPRS?

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 28 June 2005, 10:07 PM  
No ...found the answer here: http://euc.jp/misc/cellphones.en.html#tech

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz