maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

How cool is our new magazine?

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 30 May 2005, 1:58 PM  
Awesome job Mike and Mick. I'm looking forward to future issues.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 May 2005, 8:30 AM  
Wow, seriously cool. Every editor has taken the magazine to a new level. Admiration to M and M (and thanks to all their predecessors too:-))

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 1 June 2005, 1:09 AM  
Good stuff. The new Counties Website is also very impressive.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 2 June 2005, 1:14 AM  
Pretty innovative design although I think I'm going to have quite some trouble trying to read it in bed or on the toilet.

The NZOF list of officers seems to take up too much space and some of the pages are quite dark and difficult to see the writing. Also on some of the pages there is wasted space.

I wonder how much the costs compare for the full colour format against the old costs?

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 2 June 2005, 5:31 AM  
Looks great!
Cool idea, but on the whole I prefer the magazine style - easier to flick through and read, rather than the poster format.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 2 June 2005, 5:42 AM  
i quite like it. good effort to present our sport in a interesting, stylish manner...

could stick with the poster size and fold/format to make it slightly easier to handle.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 2 June 2005, 6:20 AM  
I agree with Forney. Wicked to see it all in colour, but its not exactly an easy read. The poster format doesn't really make it a coffee table piece, unless you have a giant coffee table!!
Mike is right in saying that every new editor takes the mag to a new level.
Well Done guys.This level of production would definitely have a place on the Whitcolls magazine rack. If we could ensure the content appeals to a wide variety of navigators/outdoors people - Oers,adventure racers,MTBO,Rogaine,trampers, mountaineers, ski tourers...etc I reckon people would pay 8 bucks an issue.
I look forward to the next issue.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 2 June 2005, 9:06 AM  
Thanks guys for comments! I'll try and address those I can in this forum and also by making improvements in future issues. NZO mag is a reflection of the cool people and cool events that make up orienteering and we're hoping to convey that as dramatically and colourfully as possible.

To start with, costs and format-
At the present subscription levels it's not possible to produce full colour in a normal magazine format; it is however possible to produce this fold-out format at the same cost as the previous B&W/colour combination (staples are expensive!). So its a chicken and egg game - we need more advertisers and subscribers to pay for it but we need high production levels to attract them and then get it into the newstands. So, this fold out is an interim solution, to increase the amount of colour and to make a statement along the lines of 'orienteering is colourful, different and it is controlled chaos; there's always something different around every corner and we're always pushing the limits'. Or 'check us out!'

One advantage of being too big to read on the bus or phonebooth is that outdoor shops, for example, can display the inside posters on their noticeboards (suggesting to me now that we could have event info and website address on the poster page for this purpose). Also in schools, libraries etc.

Our long term strategy is, if possible, to combine the conventional magazine format with fold-out maps and posters and place it in magazine stands. An easier read in submarines and on the bus to the O-Ringen start. I'll be chasing more advertising money for this purpose and hopefully we'll be increasing subscription too.

Content - We get lots of comments, ideas, articles, maps and photos from everyone and if we can keep this up or increase it, it will be a big help. For example, regular training tips and race analysis would be cool. Or stunning pics and stories from WOC in Japan, as well as a wide range of o-related activities. Go to it!

We'll also be constantly trying to push the colour and design to give the written content more impact. There may be some side-effects such as hard to read text which we'll try to minimize. Look out for the 3D glasses issue!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 June 2005, 5:35 AM  
How cool is our new magazine? So cool that apparently my postie wants to keep it. Got a spare copy Mick?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 8 June 2005, 1:45 AM  
Yep...just need your details...mick.finn@paradise.net.nz

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 14 September 2005, 7:04 AM  
The magazine keeps improving The large magazine format the best iv seen yet. Great coverage of WOC, seeing the maps was really interesting. Good stuff Mick & co.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz