maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Mapping

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 24 December 2006, 10:21 AM  
sorry olde codger but you are sorry very very wrong.
So the facts
$6000 was for two A3 maps four seasons and harkers which was the going rate at the time. In fact it was based on your charges.
First serious map?? what a joke. I started mapping in 1974 olde codger with a map called Amisfield and was involved with the nationals map in 1975 and was controller for those nationals. You might not know this but i also field worked Waiuku with urs stiener for the nationals in 1989. Its nice to know who code codger is and I can only hope that this type of sledging will disappear from map talk which is usually educational and forward thinking and something I look forward to being part of. get of the sledging olde codger and stick to the thread

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 24 December 2006, 12:25 PM  
This whole site is one giant sledge!

Mapping and then Controlling on that map, isn't that the first no no every controller should get taught?

Show Profile  olde codger Posted: 28 December 2006, 11:18 AM  
No its not sledging Robbie, just sticking to the truth. So its good to see you contradicting yourself and now admit to charging the CMOC for mapping.By the way , the charge we made for mapping you are refering to was for one we did for the Egmont club, not for OUR OWN CLUB.What we charge other clubs is our and their business, not yours. What we charged CMOC is yours and every CMOC members busines.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 29 December 2006, 2:45 AM  
Mapping and controlling on the same map is now frowned upon and not recommended when you have enough organisers (and competitors).

Back in the old days when controls were buckets and tied on trees, there was not many organisers around and life was less serious...

I remember a few events where I was mapper, planner, controller and organiser all in one. At one WOA OY event, I only had 25 controls.
At some early Wairarapa club events, I'd map the weekend before for a black and white map, I'd put out the controls on the morning and
the 30 or so competitors would have great fun.
Ah, life was simpler in those days...

For a bit of nostalgia see the newspaper articles on the early years:
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/EarlyYearsMenu.asp

Robbie (or anyone else), if you have got any results/programs/maps from before 1980 I would really love to get a copy of them - they are priceless and for many of the early nationals I've only got the incomplete results as printed in the Herald.

As to the tit-for-tat between Robbie and olde codger I can only say why worry about the small amount of money you have made from the sport - both of you have spent a lifetime and countless hours giving a lot to the sport and I thank you from my heart for it. I have made money from the sport (not at commercial rates but enough to cover expenses and have a handy bit of pocket money left over) but I have also done volunteer work (mapping, organising and as statistician) which I hope to carry on doing.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 December 2006, 5:41 AM  
With the unfortunate feature that new postings are on the bottom of the list rather than the top, its time to start a new thread. It will be under "Technical" (where this one should have been anyway:-)) The first posting carries on the discussion of Google Earth.

Of course tit-for-tat is a competition and as such might as well stay on this thread which is under "Events and Training"...

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz